Author Topic: Squeaky noise front wheel  (Read 823 times)

USBullet500

• Scooter
on: November 18, 2020, 07:17:04 pm
My bullet started to make a squeaky noise from the front when i am riding and i see that its coming from front wheel. When i keep the wheel on stand and rotate it, the wheel comes to a halt at a point as if the breaks are stopping it. Not sure whether the brake pads need to be serviced? Or the caliper needs to be serviced/greased. Or anything else? Its only been 3500 miles. I appreciate any suggestions.

Also, do you suggest if Permatex 80653 Silicone Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant is the right choice for caliper servicing?

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 11:39:41 pm
Always at the same point on the wheel? Disc may be warped?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 11:51:22 pm
With your hand or foot, push the brake calliper in towards the wheel.
This will push the pistons back and also the calliper should move on the slide pins.
Pump the pistons back out with the brake lever.
Do this a couple of times just to make sure that nothing is sticking.
Off route, recalculate?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 12:01:42 am
   There is apparently contact between the caliper/pad & the rotor. The rotor could be warped, or the front wheel bearings could be going away.
Put the bike on the center stand, elevate the front wheel. Try to rock the front wheel laterally. There should be essentially zero felt motion.
   Clamp a bit of bailing wire or similar to a fork tube and use the wire to tell you if the wheel has lateral runout. Make the same test with the brake rotor. Something about the wheel or rotor is eccentric enough to touch the caliper or pads. Find it and fix it. Good hunting - AVR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 12:22:41 am
I  also get a slight rub between the rotor and pads with the front wheel elevated, but it's not at all noticeable during braking.  No pulsing at all. A good cleaning may eliminate the noise.