Author Topic: Rear seat frame, Will it fit?  (Read 422 times)

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
on: February 05, 2024, 11:44:59 pm
Looking at a youtube video the other day, and I saw a guy removing the rear seat off his classic 350.  Once he turned the seat over, I studied the frame closely.  In the front it bolts to the unused (on mine anyway) seat mount, that is under the solo seat.  From there the tubular frame makes a couple bends out from under the seat and over the top shock mount, and on towards the back of the bike about 10" or so, or about 25cm.  It also has brackets with a U shaped opening that slips behind the top shock mount nut.

I hope this make sense.

My question is, will that mount setup fit my 2011 classic 500?  The design looks the same just not sure of the measurements.  If it does fit, where would I locate one of those frames?

Thanks
Retired Air Traffic Controller
Current bikes are
2014 HD Ultra Classic (couch rocket)
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 12:10:30 am
I put one of these Pillion Sub Frames on my 2012 C5, which was built in 2011.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333422486064
It fit as well as any other RE aftermarket part, which meant a little bashing to fine tune the bracket spread was in order.

I used it as the basis for additional luggage capacity, until I came up with something better.

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 01:48:36 am
Thanks for the link.  Do you by chance have any pics of the seat frame mounted? 

What was it you came up with that was better?
Current bikes are

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 11:04:16 pm
Well last night I ordered the rear seat frame.  Within minutes of placing the order, the seller asked for the model and year of my bike, and asked for pictures.  I sent the info requested, along with three pics, and got a thank you reply.  Hopefully it does not take a month to get here, but when its the only game in town.....

My rear case arrived so I will be mounting that soon.  There is a so so rack on the rear fender, from the previous owner.  It will be removed when the correct frame arrives.  Then I will mount the seat to it.  My goal is to make the pillion seat and rear box interchangeable.  The box came with a lockable quick detach mount.
Current bikes are

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 12:03:05 am
Thanks for the link.  Do you by chance have any pics of the seat frame mounted? 

What was it you came up with that was better?
The attached picture shows the pillion sub frame, not from the greatest angle, cause I was interested in something else.

For carrying stuff, I eventually mounted a set of pannier frames.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/235231942714

I never had, or wanted a pillion seat on my C5.

There's lots of options though, including color coordinated sets in leather at very reasonable prices. https://www.ebay.com/itm/225210574498   

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 12:20:40 am
My bike came with leather RE bags, but were mounted by the straps and have rubbed paint off numerous spots.  Brackets would stop that for sure, but I want lockable luggage, so any soft bag is out for me.  Soft bags look more period, but I am more concerned with utility, than period correctness.  But that is my personal preference.  My bags will be quick release, so easy to go back to a "naked" bike when I want to.   

This is the top box I purchased.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ87DLNX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
It arrived yesterday, so I will install it soon.  But I want to make it so I can easily swap between pillion seat and top box.Side bags will be same or similar design.  Like I said, I am more into storage capacity and security than period correct.  My bikes are my utility vehicles.  Thats one reason this bike is fitted with knobbies.
Current bikes are

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 11:15:19 am
Hitchcocks make a rack that uses the passenger seat mounting points.
Off route, recalculate?

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 04:19:43 pm
Yea I had seen your exact same luggage rack setup on Tiger Ness' youtube video.  Nice setup, and looks very sturdy.  Tiger says Hitchcocks rats it for 10 kg, if I remember correctly.  Obviously any pillion will weigh more, and I do want ot be able to swap between seat and luggage.

When I ride my bike to town for shopping, its usually not just one store, so I need locking luggage.  Its a deterrent and not foolproof, I know, but when there are half a dozen homeless lurking nearby and they see me locking up, its causes enough pause to make it worthwhile.

I like the looks of soft luggage better actually, just not the lack of security.
Current bikes are