Author Topic: Weather protection  (Read 397 times)

GunnarS

• Scooter
on: February 02, 2024, 12:24:00 pm
Hi all! In my opinion the simplicity of our RE classics and Bullets makes our bikes beam of robustness and "go anywhere" attitude. Perhaps not the fastest of transportation but one will get there. Isn´t that what we all like about our bikes?

But how is it really? My Classic, MY 2010, has very low mileage on the meter and when I come to think of it, I don´t belive my bike has ever been out in the rain even (that in itself is almost an contradiction in a country like Sweden....)

Has anyone of you any experience from really using your bike in "any weather" and have you done anything to improve resilience, like protecting the electric system?

Best regards,
Gunnar

Monkee

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 12:51:38 pm
I think in terms of water proofing most of the connectors on the classic 500 use weatherpack connectors so should hold fairly well against rain as long as its not submerged

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 02:14:57 pm
I ride a Rumbler, sold in India as the Thunderbird.  Have had it out in all kinds of Andean weather.  Here's a video from a few years ago, right after my second oil change which I had to go to the city of Cali for since we did not yet have a local dealership. Skip to around the two minute mark for the rain bit...

https://youtu.be/8-lEF6ejuM8?si=J3vLraQc9BaJo9eL
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 03:45:40 pm
I think I should get some new pictures! But I've had this set up for about 8 or 9 years now, rode through UK winters on my 115 mile each way commute without issue, apart from a drive chain snapped once (warranty claim on the chain that only had 100 miles on it) and the swingarm pivot bolt snapped which involved a recovery back to home otherwise the fairing an leg shields provide perfect weather protection. Retired now so not doing so many miles in bad weather.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 08:28:26 pm
My first real motorcycle, a 1963 Yamaha YD3, came with leg shields installed. But it wouldn't travel more than about 50 miles before one of the spark plugs fouled and had to be removed and cleaned before it would go faster than 25 mph.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

the possum

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 12:26:07 am
Don't worry too much about weather proofing. My mate and I rode from the east coast to the west coast, and return. A round trip of 11,000kms, and it rained almost every day, and at one time we spent a full day in what was described on the telly as "the wettest day in the recorded history of rainfall in Western Australia". Our Classic 500's banged away all day every day without missing a beat - they handled the crap weather better that the idiots riding them !

The design of the air intake for the air filter is a story for another day however,