Author Topic: Swing arm height  (Read 433 times)

Trebor

• Scooter
on: January 07, 2024, 11:36:35 am
Hello
New member - looking forward to being part of forum.
I have just put replacement swing arm bushes on my recently acquired 500 Classic C5 2010. I  did not take any measurement of the swing arm position between rear upper and lower spring unit securing bolts before stripping it all apart.  I have now become aware that a special gauge tool is available to attach in place of a spring unit presumably to set the “rest” position of the swing arm , before tightening the swing arm bolt. Might anyone know what the “rest” position of swing arm is ie. the distance between spring unit securing bolt centres is for purpose of tightening swing arm bolt. Any advice / guidance on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 04:10:02 pm
A possible solution is to set the bushes at mid-stroke of the shock absorber.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 04:22:23 pm
. Any advice / guidance on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks
The guidance is for the older style metalastic bushes. The metal and rubber bonded type. You had to hold the swing arm mid travel before tightening the swingarm bolt. This prevented the rubber parts from being over twisted at either end of the swingarm travel.
The new style plastic bushes don't care where they are in relation to swingarm travel.
Off route, recalculate?

Trebor

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 09:31:54 pm
A possible solution is to set the bushes at mid-stroke of the shock absorber.

Thanks for this - I’ll see if I can work out where mid stroke approximately is and torque up the swing arm bolt in that position.

Trebor

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 09:39:16 pm
The guidance is for the older style metalastic bushes. The metal and rubber bonded type. You had to hold the swing arm mid travel before tightening the swingarm bolt. This prevented the rubber parts from being over twisted at either end of the swingarm travel.
The new style plastic bushes don't care where they are in relation to swingarm travel.
Thanks for your reply. I have fitted the new style plastic bushes. I see from the workshop manual you are supposed to ream these before inserting spacer tube but I did not do this. I was unable to push the spacer tube into the bushes by hand and instead greased it and pressed it in using a sash cramp. I hope all will be ok. Thanks

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 11:25:26 pm
you should be able to push the spacer in by hand.
You don't want it so tight that the bush can't rotate on the spacer tube.
We're the bushes a good tight fit in the swingarm?
You wouldn't want the swingarm to be rotating on outside of the bushes.
I'm sure it will be fine though.
Off route, recalculate?

Trebor

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 09:12:52 am
you should be able to push the spacer in by hand.
You don't want it so tight that the bush can't rotate on the spacer tube.
We're the bushes a good tight fit in the swingarm?
You wouldn't want the swingarm to be rotating on outside of the bushes.
I'm sure it will be fine though.
Hello
Yes the bushes are a good tight fit in the arm. Rightly or wrongly I put a bit of grease on them to help get them into the swing arm using a sash cramp. I’m hoping that when I torque up the swing arm nut, the spacer tube will be held tight between the frame sides. So providing the bushes are a tighter fit in the swing arm than the spacer tube is in the bushes, hopefully the swing arm and bushes will move as one rather than the bushes remain stationary on the spacer. Thanks again for your help and reassurance.