Author Topic: Just my Karma  (Read 5596 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 05:13:32 am
The battery is being charged. I can see and hear bubbles rising inside. Is that normal .

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 05:33:49 am
A bit of bubbling is normal.
Lots of rapid bubbling indicates a possible internal defect in the battery or a charge rate that is too high.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 05:50:33 am
I guess there is some bubbling. I also noticed drops of acid dripping from one corner. I disconnected it from the charger, and opened one of the holes (the ones to pour in distilled water), and put it back on the charger. No dripping, still some bubbling. I think its time for a sealed batter. Any suggestions.

I still plan to fully charge this one to see if the battery is the culprit for the now non functional ES.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 06:19:57 am
I guess there is some bubbling. I also noticed drops of acid dripping from one corner. I disconnected it from the charger, and opened one of the holes (the ones to pour in distilled water), and put it back on the charger. No dripping, still some bubbling. I think its time for a sealed batter. Any suggestions.

I still plan to fully charge this one to see if the battery is the culprit for the now non functional ES.

Are you charging with more then 2 amps ?( that's a little high too). The battery buddy is a great way to charge (1.5 amps) all batteries , if you have time to wait.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 07:04:48 am
I picked up this charger at AutoZone. The user manual says that it charges at 1.5 amp. The battery has been on it for a few hours now, no green light yet. I am turning it off, will turn it on again in the AM (dint want an overnight explosion). 

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 07:07:37 am
  If you replace it the AGM battery is the way to go.  These bikes shake a lot and a normal lead acid battery (even maintenance free/sealed) have a tougher time of life.
The link shows what I put in my bike 2 years ago.  Haven't had a problem since.  It's what I replace all bike batteries with (all of mine here have one now except the Victory).

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/40578-X2--15L-Xtreme-X2-Power-AGM-Battery/558-CC/5020-Motorcycle-Batteries/137622-Royal-Enfield/All-Electric--Start-Models/500CC-2000-to-2003.aspx
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:10:21 am by 1Blackwolf1 »
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 07:14:51 am
I picked up this charger at AutoZone. The user manual says that it charges at 1.5 amp. The battery has been on it for a few hours now, no green light yet. I am turning it off, will turn it on again in the AM (dint want an overnight explosion). 

If it's a battery tender model charger you should have had a green light within the first few minutes of it being used.  That would mean that there is something wrong with your battery or the connection.  I would probably lean toward the battery.  If a battery tender is working on a known good battery you can leave it charging forever (just check your electrolite level occasionally since the water will evaporate over time).  I've left them running all winter on bikes in storage w/o a problem.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 01:39:00 pm
Geek out Battery facts:  The bubbles are Hydrogen gas given off by electrolysis of water into hydrogen and oxygen..   In higher amperage applications, were you can throw an extra 25 amps on a string of 4 (48v) batteries you can reach a point of either poor ventilation causing hydrogen gas buildup and and a subsequent explosion. 

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=109923&WT.svl=news1_1

More than likely you may get thermal runaway.. A point at with the electolisys is somewhat self sustaining and heat builds up causing things to melt turning you batteries into toxic puddle.... (seen this once or twice)

Of course just about none of the above information is relevant to motorcycles.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 02:59:58 pm
I had my battery on a tender and had some bubbling and a bit of an overflow (I may have overfilled with distilled water). Dribbles went onto the primary case and stained it. Damn.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 05:01:29 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with 1Blackwolf1. AGM is THE way to go for batteries.

I could go on for pages about why but suffice it to say that they work better, last longer, and  requiring only a periodic inspection are virtually maintenance free.,
IMHO well worth the few extra dollars.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 05:15:45 pm
Its the solenoid.

After charging the battery overnight, i put it back in. Kick started second kick, warmed it for a few minutes. Ignition off, on and then ES. Distinct buzzing from the solenoid (the black oblong contraption attached to the battery harness) .

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 05:37:08 pm
I have a super-sealed Yuasa YTX14 AHL-BS 12 volts battery.  It reads 12.9 volts and beautifully fits in my black G5 as if they are made for each other.  This is not AGM battery but it is very good sealed battery.  No leaks, no need to add water, and holds charge well.

Here is a link to my post when I had some battery problems and I got rid of Exide battery that came originally with my G5.  The post also has a picture of the battery and its terminals. 

On G5 UCE engine, when you are looking at the battery the left terminal is Negative (black) and right terminal is Positive (Red).  How is it in your AVL battery ?

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,6334.0/all.html
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 06:57:21 pm
Just because it was charged overnight doesn't mean the battery is good. If you have a volt meter connect to the batter and see what it does when trying to start. It will fall off for sure but should not drop more than what the bike needs for starting.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 06:22:16 am
On G5 UCE engine, when you are looking at the battery the left terminal is Negative (black) and right terminal is Positive (Red).  How is it in your AVL battery ?

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,6334.0/all.html

Its the same as the UCE.