Author Topic: 400 Mile Report  (Read 2065 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 07, 2010, 06:19:01 pm
'Bad Boy' has done 400 miles now.

Here is what I am thinking:

1. Overall:  The whole thing (the bike) lacks symmetry. The rear fender is not in line with the rear wheel. The tank is not really centred. The left (clutch assembly) is different than the the right (front brake assembly), as a result the left and right rear view mirrors are not at the same height.

2. Performance: Improving with time. It vibrates less, acceleration is smoother, and the gear box is smoooooooth. I put in a shorty exhaust, KnN in the box, and rejet the carb. I have not gotten to ride it much (only 400 miles), but yesterday I put about 90 miles on it. It was a coll sunny day, and I took him out for a pin, got carried away, and just kept going. Went into the twisties, and it handled beautifully. Hell, I even kept up with a Harley all along. I thing the saddle bags add drag, but they are useful and give it more of a vintage look. On the way back it was pretty windy and I could feel it. I treid the racer riding position ( head to the handle) and the drag reduced considerably. Maybe a flyscreen someday ?

3. Maintanance:  The dealer changed all oils at 80 miles before handing him over to me. I guess another 100 miles and another oil change. Maybe next weekend.

4. Future: I have not made up my mind about it yet. I want it to have some serious miles (2-3k) for it to come to itself, and will see then. I do hope the ACE considers looking at the AVL at some point.

Happy riding !!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:14:42 pm by 1 Thump »

Paul Luc

• Scooter
  • '09 AVL Bullet
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:52:17 am
Can I ask what jets you swapped to (both main and idle)?  Did you adjust the needle position at all?  I have the 1950's style exhaust but haven't put it on yet.  I also have a K&N filter in the "stock" tool box...

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:26:24 am
I went up one size on both. Although I still do not know if the main jet is doing its job (have not gone past 1/2 throttle yet). I went up to 50 mph for a couple minutes, and 60 mph for 2-3 seconds. It did just fine.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:19:51 am
Just curious. Do you have the upgraded (gween) TCI unit? And if so, how is it starting with the kick starter? How often do you use the kicker over the electric button?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:52:49 am
I do have the green box thingy under the seat. It kick starts just fine. I try to kick start every time. If it does not start in a couple of kicks, I go to ES.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:06:13 pm
Thanks, Thump

My '08 kickstarts just fine with the old black TCI. I put the new green one in & it will not kick start to save its soul. I've put the old one back in to test it & it kickstarts just fine. It's a mystery. It starts instantly with the PHD button with either TCI box..

I've discussed this with Scooter Bob & I think he thinks I'm nuts. Maybe it just needs more miles on it. Everything else enginewise is perfect (plug, carb, valves) & it runs like a watch.

Anyway - I love the bike otherwise & good luck with yours.
          PS: I have just barely 100 miles on mine.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:01:44 pm
Thanks, Thump

My '08 kickstarts just fine with the old black TCI. I put the new green one in & it will not kick start to save its soul. I've put the old one back in to test it & it kickstarts just fine. It's a mystery. It starts instantly with the PHD button with either TCI box..

I've discussed this with Scooter Bob & I think he thinks I'm nuts. Maybe it just needs more miles on it. Everything else enginewise is perfect (plug, carb, valves) & it runs like a watch.

Anyway - I love the bike otherwise & good luck with yours.
          PS: I have just barely 100 miles on mine.

My 2008 has the infamous RE "delay box" to retard spark when the ES is engaged. Since I found out that I had one, (the hard way), I switched back to the stock, black TCI box. I could be wrong, but if you have one device installed to keep the sprag from detonating, why do you need two?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 06:07:04 pm
The green box is designed to delay spark about one second.  Enough to get the flywheel moving so it won't stall / backfire as easily.  I have been kick-starting my bike with the green unit for about 7800 miles.  No problem.

However, if you feel that your bike starts better with the original box- go for it. 
Personally, I went through 2 sprags with the green box... now I kick-start every time.  I cleaned out the bits and just left the rest in there. 
Run what ya brung