Author Topic: Helmet suggestion  (Read 10522 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 20, 2009, 08:36:37 pm
I would think that an open face would be the way to go with the classic looks. However, full face provides better safety. Any suggestions?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:45:52 pm
I have both,,  old school open face for warm sunny days and a full face for days we expect rain or cold and at night for bugs..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:59:08 pm
I only have one helmet, a Nolan open face with a flip down visor, I find the full face too confining (Only a personal thing). The only down side is that with the visor up, it causes a bit of drag on the chin strap.

My two bobs worth.

Cheers  :)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:14:44 pm
I have both,,  old school open face for warm sunny days and a full face for days we expect rain or cold and at night for bugs..

Is there a prticular brand that you would recommend.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:22:11 pm
I have a JP Helmet.. It looks good but the fitment kinda sucks..   I plan on getting one of the HCI punch bowls from CMW to replace it but have been dragging my feet as its cooled off a bit and I am using the full face more.   As for the full face, I just went to the local motorcycle stuff store and bought one that was on clearance...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:45:59 pm
     The last figures I found showed that in an accident  about 30% of head impacts were in the face area. Also, another 30% were in the area of the upper neck/ear area. By wearing a half shell helmet you are giving away about 60% of your protection. A 3/4 helmet gives away 30%.
     Full coverage helmets are also less fatiguing. They tend to dampen out wind noise. This not only gives you a more relaxing ride, but by filtering out the "white" back ground noise your hearing is enhanced for the things you need to hear such as horns or engines.
     With the shield down your eyes are protected from objects such as rocks and bugs,as well as from the wind itself. Your vision will be better.
     In very cold or hot weather your skin is protected from the elements. Wind and sun age skin quickly.
     I always wear a full coverage helmet.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:29:33 am by Vince »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 01:08:26 am
 On the flip side my preference is to the 1/2 and 3/4 helmets and then the full face. Better peripheral vision and hearing. I match my gear to the conditions in which I will be riding.

I highly recommend using fit and function as your deciding factors instead of brand or fashion.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 02:13:32 am
If you can afford only one helmet, I vote for a full-face;
On longer rides it dampens wind and engine noise which can really tire you out.
It will be much warmer in cold weather.
An open face helmet is pure torture in the rain.  I mean those drops HURT!

The best helmet is the one that fits the best.  Any pressure points or things that rub funny will have you thinking about running in to a wall after a mild annoyance drives you starkers after 50 miles.  It should be a little too tight (I don't mean bulging your eyes out in pain tight) as it will loosen up after a while.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:17:27 am by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 02:20:02 am
I get claustrophobic in a full face helmet. :-\
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 03:52:11 am
 I have an arai classic c that I was lucky enough to find new for $90. It's a great 3/4 helmet. Very comfortable and quiet, i love it. Fits the bike well too.
I also have an agv s4 full face which I use in winter and rain. The s4 isn't nearly as comfortable as the aria but It's not that bad. Surprisingly, wind noise in the full face is louder but I have gradually started to get into the habit of wearing ear plugs when i ride.

ACE Fireball 001

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 05:29:38 pm
I have an arai classic c that I was lucky enough to find new for $90. It's a great 3/4 helmet. Very comfortable and quiet, i love it. Fits the bike well too.
I also have an agv s4 full face which I use in winter and rain. The s4 isn't nearly as comfortable as the aria but It's not that bad. Surprisingly, wind noise in the full face is louder but I have gradually started to get into the habit of wearing ear plugs when i ride.

Wow. Thats a sweet deal.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 06:16:10 pm
I have both full and 3/4 helmets. My full is one of the older ones with almost no peripheral vision. Scares the hell out of me to wear it. I always wear my 3/4, but maybe that's just out of habit. Some of the new full-face helmets have a wider field of view.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 10:31:31 pm
I have a full face , but hate it. I prefer a 3/4.
My best friend is a nurse, and recommends a full face. I was lambasted for riding with no helmet at all.( can be intoxicating)

So any helmet is better then nothing, ....believe it or not I have been thinking about a new full face.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Sailorjohn

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 10:52:32 pm
I have a chrome German style helmet and goggles.I like to be different. I also have a helmet with a 1/2 face shield. This was bought when I still smoked a pipe. I could smoke my motorists' pipe as I rode with out interference from the face shield. Hey ! Ya gotta have priorities ! ;D

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 04:06:50 am
For the Enfield's slower speeds, a dual sport (like the AFX FX37 helmet) is nice for those that don't like full-face.  The chin area is quite far away so your nose or chin doesn't hit it (like it does in my GMAX GM68S, though I do love the GMAX) so you don't get the claustrophobic feeling, and I don't even SEE the edges of the visor opening the peripheral vision is so good in the AFX.  It does look a bit funny, though.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!