Author Topic: Reusable air filters  (Read 4926 times)

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 02:32:46 pm
Sticking with my newly cleaned and re-oiled DNA aka S&S aka K&N (with the best oil, of course). Going for a ride. Still have the original OEM filter in case I change my mind.  :D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #46 on: April 15, 2021, 03:53:26 am
Here's why I don't rate reusable air filters: this is a pic of the inside of the clean air side of the filter box from my daughter's WRX. It's a bit hard to make out but if you look carefully you might be able to see dirt coating many of the surfaces. This car has a K&N flat panel element. I know it was serviced properly because I did it myself, 5000km ago. Not a fan. I'm replacing it for her with a pleated paper filter. They filter well in our dusty conditions and fit properly. A motorbike in Europe probably has quite different filtering needs.

Shout out to @viczena, your input is not required at this time. I'm a qualified heavy diesel mechanic, I know what I'm doing and I have experience with these things. Please keep your opinion to yourself. Thank you.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #47 on: April 15, 2021, 05:45:18 am
Holy crap, that's not great...

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: April 15, 2021, 08:41:10 am
Yep, maybe we have a quite different filtering need. In WW2 the air filters of the BMW/Zündapp sidecars had a filter that was not sufficient for russia. So the developed an oil bath air filter. That was sufficient.

So there are conditions where a K&N might not be sufficient. Then take a paper filter and change more often. And if you get into more severe conditions, a paper filter might not be good enough and you need special filtration systems.

the yellow stuff looks like something organic. And it looks like the old filter did not fit properly. As you suggested. I once had a K&N for a 3.0 Ducato. It did not really fit well, therefore I changed back to paper.

So whatever you do, dont install an air filter that does not fit snuggly. Even if it is a paper filter.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:23:42 am by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #49 on: April 15, 2021, 12:09:04 pm
Holy crap, that's not great...

Not really, huh? At least the bees and wasps stayed on the other side.....
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #50 on: April 15, 2021, 05:02:39 pm
Posting this comment here, as I posted it in another thread and it's more appropriate here. See below.

I am just going to leave this here for those interested. Found it applicable to our conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS69owXpGdY

Another channel I follow with good information....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3L-E-ufYo
2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: April 15, 2021, 05:38:30 pm
Not really, huh? At least the bees and wasps stayed on the other side.....
Hey Gizzo, as a fellow old diesel wrangler how many times have you opened the hood on some old crock that sat in a field between jobs and found mud wasps had built or yellow jackets had built a condo in the thing? ;D

I once had to rush one of my guys to the emergency room after he opened the access panel on a JD compressor that had been sitting behind the shop and got a face full of the bastards for his trouble.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #52 on: April 15, 2021, 06:25:20 pm
In my experience thee trick to using K&Ns successfully is whether the seal actually seals, not using compressed air to dry them out when cleaning, and using the correct oil in the CORRECT amount and not over oiling.

I have seen K&N installations where the seal just does not seal and a liberal application of basic (coarse) wheel bearing grease solves the problem.

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: April 16, 2021, 01:03:11 am
Or just use a stock filter that is designed so any yahoo can install it adequately without greasing poorly manufactures seals and hoping/assuming that some other yahoo has never used compressed air before improperly oiling the ruined gauze. Needing to know the "trick" to make something work is a sure sign of a product that won't work for Joe Average.

If gauze filters were unequivocally better, they would be installed at the factory because they would reduce expensive warranty claims.  They only make sense in a rigidly controlled precision maintenance environment.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #54 on: April 16, 2021, 01:08:24 am
Or just use a stock filter that is designed so any yahoo can install it adequately without greasing poorly manufactures seals and hoping/assuming that some other yahoo has never used compressed air before improperly oiling the ruined gauze. Needing to know the "trick" to make something work is a sure sign of a product that won't work for Joe Average.

If gauze filters were unequivocally better, they would be installed at the factory because they would reduce expensive warranty claims.  They only make sense in a rigidly controlled precision maintenance environment.

"Or just use a stock filter..." and keep buying them $20 time after $20 time after $20 time after$20 time after $20 time after $20 time just like the manufacturer wants you to or a K&N for $50 once.

If they can figure a way to get around the patent and gauze filters are more expensive to manufacture than paper filters.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #55 on: April 16, 2021, 01:37:52 am

Yep. Remove the paper element from a car airbox and see if you can tell the difference. I doubt it.
"Or just use a stock filter..." and keep buying them $20 time after $20 time after $20 time after$20 time after $20 time after $20 time just like the manufacturer wants you to or a K&N for $50 once.

The service kit isn't free and it's time consuming to service a K&N properly. Then you need to waste more time making it fit. I'm with @gravydavy, if you can't just slide it in and make it work, it's not ideal. The money thing, whoopy do. $20. I spend more than that on fuel on a day ride. Changing the filter every couple of years isn't going to break me.

But, to each their own. Swings and roundabouts and all that and if it makes you happy, why not.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E