Author Topic: Re all models enfield  (Read 830 times)

doug hepburn

• Neophyte
on: April 01, 2021, 05:07:08 pm
Hi I'd like some advice on which model to purchase one for my wife and one for me.I'm hitting 80 years young she is 20 years younger both with full licences.I've always had bikes of 1000cc and over but a careful rider and not fast therefore made the decision to go Royal Enfield. I want a bike for touring 2 up and my wife just for bimbling around so I'm guessing the new Meteor 350cc would suit her ok. What do you suggest for me who wants a comfortable ride and probably cruise around no more than 50 to 60mph. Any advice will be appreciated.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 05:26:42 pm
Hi I'd like some advice on which model to purchase one for my wife and one for me.I'm hitting 80 years young she is 20 years younger both with full licences.I've always had bikes of 1000cc and over but a careful rider and not fast therefore made the decision to go Royal Enfield. I want a bike for touring 2 up and my wife just for bimbling around so I'm guessing the new Meteor 350cc would suit her ok. What do you suggest for me who wants a comfortable ride and probably cruise around no more than 50 to 60mph. Any advice will be appreciated.

Doug: Go for the Interceptor. I think it'd suit you right down to the ground.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 07:44:50 pm
I was thinking the Meteor might offer some heft-avoidance advantage, but it's only about 20 pounds lighter and has just a 1" lower saddle. I too concur that an Interceptor is likely the hot ticket.
45 HP vs. maybe 20 HP is a non-starter for 2-up travel unless that's all you got, and the prices new are going to be maybe $1000 apart ( or less! ) for twice the motor. And it's a hammer too, no bad faults have surfaced.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 07:55:41 pm
Welcome aboard! You are talking about getting two bikes, right? So the real question is: How tall is the wife? We've yet to see any of those 350 Meteors on our plastic-strewn colonial shores, but your description of you both having "full licences" leads me to believe you might be in the UK. Normally it would make good sense for touring to have identical bikes--Fewer spares to carry. But maybe an Interceptor would be too tall for your gal? Or maybe you're married to the idea of only using one bike for touring two-up and always leaving the wife's at home?

A stock Interceptor's optional "low saddle" is 790 mm or 31.1 inches high, while a Meteor's regular one is said to be only 765 mm or 30.1 inches. There are, of course, various workarounds such as aftermarket or modified saddles, setting the shocks to lowest settings, etc., but the clearest way to learn which bikes might be suitable for the both of you is to just go to a dealership and both sit on a few. Or who knows? Maybe you'll both prefer the Meteors or want a pair of Himalayans after all. After all, they're plucky and fun and would get you both to the back of beyond.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:16:35 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 07:57:15 pm
I want a bike for touring 2 up and my wife just for bimbling around so I'm guessing the new Meteor 350cc would suit her ok. What do you suggest for me who wants a comfortable ride and probably cruise around no more than 50 to 60mph. Any advice will be appreciated.
Perhaps wait for the new 650 cruiser to be introduced?  It appears to be right around the corner, and looks like it will be lower and longer and with tubeless tires, and more leg room and comfort for cruising.

Although they have announced they WILL, I'm pretty skeptical that we will see more than a token number of RE 350s here in the USA.  We may not get the 650 cruiser either, having generous amounts of cruiser styled machines already.  All the Japanese manufacturers and many from Europe all have at least one "california" version for sale into the land of Harleys.  Where are you located?

For bimbling, I'd go with a non RE product, something with a CVT and step thru frame.  Not having a clutch and gear selector seems so carefree.  I'd install a cup holder and teach myself to drink lefty.

Or, I'd buy her a 411 Himilayan, so I could borrow it for some offroad adventures.  This sort of thinking is probably a strong indicator of why I'm a bachelor.