Author Topic: Riding in the Era of "Social Distancing"--The Road Rando  (Read 7639 times)

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 08:17:38 am
I note that the people whining about my 60-mile (round trip) Sunday morning ride and breakfast are all residents of the UK.  I guess they are not a happy crowd right now and would like to make sure that everyone else is as unhappy as they are.  ::)
The regulations where you live are obviously different from the regulations here. We are not allowed to drive / ride anywhere that isn't a necessity.
Perhaps the whingers should appreciate that you are not under the same restrictions as they are.

Not a happy crowd? you're damn right! weeks and weeks of cold and rain, then when the good riding weather comes - we're on lockdown  :'(

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 02:43:41 pm
In California we are being pulled in two directions.  One group of regulators and politicians tell us to patronize grocery stores, banks, auto dealerships, repair shops, restaurants that still remain open for takeout meals, and to go to on walks and hikes to get exercise and fresh air. They do not mention a limit to the travel distance to visit these businesses or recreational areas, although as people crowd many of these areas, they do end up with their parking lots and facilities shut down - and then the crowds move to other areas that remain open and overcrowd them. 

On the other hand, another group of people, like medical professionals, other politicians (like city mayors) and police chiefs, are demanding that everyone stay home and are threatening to arrest anyone that they perceive are out and about without any good reason.

It is all very confusing without any hard and fast rules, leaving most of the public to pick and choose how they want to live under the threat of catching and transmitting the virus.  We are not in a type of lock-down that is anything like what is happening in many UK and South American countries. At least not yet.

So right now, I am doing what the first group recommends, taking precautions by keeping myself isolated from other people by at least the recommended 6 feet.  This is really easy for me to do as I live by myself and only travel by motorcycle. But I don't plan to stop traveling anywhere by myself on my motorcycle unless the rules become more specific and the legal consequences more obvious.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 05:39:48 pm
Here is a scary article published in my newspaper today regarding staying safe while pumping gas. Fortunately, I have a box of disposable nitrile gloves that I use when working on my motorcycles.  However, finding disinfectant wipes and sprays, paper towels and similar items to clean the fuel pump handle and pump operation pads is almost impossible right now.

Another article today mentioned that all 23 county parks are closed in my county, so the park department is saying that their usual visitors will have to travel further than normal to find trails that remain open. Like I said, we are getting conflicting messages.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 08:39:46 pm
Never really thought about petrol pumps before Covid-19 kicked in.

Now I stop and think about, it's one of the easiest ways to transmit. From pay at the pump (UK) to steering wheel to lord knows where.

I'll certainly be changing the way I fill up in the future!

Once I get the Enfield an MOT (not likely now, even with MOT rules relaxed) or get out in the car of course. Could be some time .....

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 10:09:56 pm
Pay at the pump seems like a fast way to spread.  From now on, I believe I will carry a stick or popsicle stick to press the number pad at the fill pump.  People touch those all day long and you don't know where they have been.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 12:06:36 am
I carry a box of gloves and some sanitizer for shopping and gassing up. At first I got odd looks but now gloves are common.
The lake near my house is legally closed but I walk around it daily, keeping distance from the few other people. I encountered a big diamondback on the trail that made me forget current events for a while.  :o  Life goes on.
Lurker on a Vespa

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 04:24:29 pm
Unfortunately, there is at least one group of people not paying attention to the virus danger or any lock-down regulations:

Last night's TV news reported on, and included a video taken by an adjacent resident, of a group of some 400 young people standing next to each other at an intersection in the city of Oakland, California, while some jerks performed a "sideshow", with their cars spinning around the intersection, hanging out the windows and doing other stupid things. When the cops arrived everyone scattered. Sadly, one of the participants crashed his car trying to elude the cops a short distance away killing an innocent pedestrian who was walking on the sidewalk at the time. He was the only person who was arrested. That ought to really help the spread of the Corona virus in Oakland, but apparently these young people (most looked like teenagers and men and women in their 20's) could care less.   >:(

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 06:07:28 pm
Last thing I did last night, on the way home, was fill up with fuel. Started feeling unwell and sent home from work today (NHS). All the symptoms and pretty rough right now. 

Obviously, I had it when I filled up. Too late to warn anyone, even if I knew how to contact them.

Take care.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 07:12:47 pm
Get well soon Ove.

Perhaps let the petrol station know?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 02:33:44 am
Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Stay as comfy as you can, and may you be one of the fortunate for whom it's "no big deal."

Please keep us posted if you feel up to it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 02:46:12 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 04:54:18 am
All the best,  Ove. Take care mate.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 08:26:49 am
Thank you. Very hot head and neck, gravel in my throat, only slight tightness in my chest. Ache all over. No cause for concern.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 08:31:35 am
Hope you get over it OK mate, Look after yourself.

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 02:45:55 pm
I agree. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and lets all hope that once you recover from the virus you become immune and never have to experience the symptoms again.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 04:16:29 pm
Best wishes and please keep us posted while you recover.
Lurker on a Vespa