Author Topic: INT 650 as primiary motorcycle  (Read 5572 times)

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 08:31:39 pm
Because 'Murica.  The rest of the world would ride around the planet on a SR500 but in the US a bike under 650cc is only good for a trip to the shops  ;)

It's true. We don't have to live like third worlders, so we don't.  ;D

In all seriousness though, as much as I like my RE, it's not nearly as capable as many of the other bikes I've owned for racking up miles on a busy interstate. But since I don't rack up miles an a busy interstate any more, I'm selling or sold off the bigger bikes.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 12:00:34 am
Well l am like you, l used to rack up tens of thousands of miles, however l would not say as yet l see any evidence to suggest the RE is any more unreliable that any other bike, although l don't travel 500 miles a day anymore as yet l see no reason to suggest it's unreliability, the point is the bike has great capabilities on motorways, l assure you with the wind a 100 mph can become very uncomfortable especially sitting in an upright position not doable for any length of time.

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 12:47:03 am
I wouldn't want to use my INT 650 on the Interstates. Trucker turbulence and cross/quartering high winds could cause a bit of buffeting. It's the weight not the drivetrain, etc..

My commute takes me on a three lane freeway. I'm not sure if the speedo is right, but I've seen 90 MPH a few times.

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 12:49:48 am
What is the "speed changing option"?

Was something lost in translation? I'm pretty sure English isn't their primary language.

And it's odd that user's first post is dumping on the Interceptor.

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 01:09:10 am
I know this is a necro-thread, but I'll throw in my two cents:

My Interceptor is my only bike. It works on everything from sketchy barely-a-driveway dirt roads to Interstate 81 (one of if not the worst road for heavy truck traffic in the USA).  Yep, at 75-80mph it gets bounced around some by the turbulence off the trucks.  And it's quite heavy and cumbersome on rough off-camber gravel roads at 7mph. But it does it all and gets 60mpg in the process.. So it's fully functional as a primary motorcycle.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 01:30:29 am
I know this is a necro-thread, but I'll throw in my two cents:

My Interceptor is my only bike. It works on everything from sketchy barely-a-driveway dirt roads to Interstate 81 (one of if not the worst road for heavy truck traffic in the USA).  Yep, at 75-80mph it gets bounced around some by the turbulence off the trucks.  And it's quite heavy and cumbersome on rough off-camber gravel roads at 7mph. But it does it all and gets 60mpg in the process.. So it's fully functional as a primary motorcycle.
+1
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 03:13:35 am
This post-adolescent, 84 year old rider has never been accused of having a death wish and hopes to make it to the century mark in another 16 years.  My '21 Interceptor is my primary bike.  Tomorrow, I'll spend some time on I-35 as I ride a loop from Bee Cave, TX to San Marcos via back roads and then, temporarily, from San Marcos to Kyle on I-35, zipping along with the big rigs but mostly joining them in the slow (sic) lane.  My bike has been lightened by 30# and I tip the scale (very slightly) at 134#.  I have never felt anxiety with "wake turbulence" from big rigs passing me.  Maybe 68 years of regular riding have tuned out any panic attacks I may have had when younger. Or, perhaps I suppress them to justify my exposure to the high risks inherent, to some, in freeway riding.

Enjoy your Gold Whales, Chiefs and Ultraglides.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #37 on: April 09, 2021, 10:18:58 am
This post-adolescent, 84 year old rider has never been accused of having a death wish and hopes to make it to the century mark in another 16 years.  My '21 Interceptor is my primary bike.  Tomorrow, I'll spend some time on I-35 as I ride a loop from Bee Cave, TX to San Marcos via back roads and then, temporarily, from San Marcos to Kyle on I-35, zipping along with the big rigs but mostly joining them in the slow (sic) lane.  My bike has been lightened by 30# and I tip the scale (very slightly) at 134#.  I have never felt anxiety with "wake turbulence" from big rigs passing me.  Maybe 68 years of regular riding have tuned out any panic attacks I may have had when younger. Or, perhaps I suppress them to justify my exposure to the high risks inherent, to some, in freeway riding.

Enjoy your Gold Whales, Chiefs and Ultraglides.

Ralph

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Hope for us all!  ;D

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 09, 2021, 01:28:27 pm
Well it will do a ton if you got a long enough road but l think that's a bit much for that engine l think cruising is best at 70 or 80 more than adequate to hold its own against modern traffic.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 02:11:20 pm
Was something lost in translation? I'm pretty sure English isn't their primary language.

And it's odd that user's first post is dumping on the Interceptor.

It also seems odd that the OP assumes the average guy owns more than one motorcycle.  I know a lot of us on the forum do, but I doubt many of us would consider ourselves "average motorcycle owners." Overall I wonder how many motorcycle owners in general own more than one bike?

Just to add another "when I started riding" comment. If a bike like the Interceptor had been available when I started riding it would have been the most sophisticated bike on the planet and capable of doing anything you could think off. Why would you think it's not just as capable and reliable as any other motorcycle being built in it's class today?

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: April 09, 2021, 02:41:10 pm
I've been riding motorcycles since 1958. Owned my share, but never more than one at a time. Love to now, but wife says no. Oh, well. Interceptor is enough for what I do. Not the fastest I've owned, but I'm past traveling beyond the horizon these days.
If I were doing a trans-world trip I'd probably do some research - I'd hate to be stuck somewhere in Mongolia. Maybe a Himalayan would be a good choice, but not so good on the US interstates or the AutoBahns. Choices.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 09, 2021, 04:30:08 pm
Well this is good point, l have had many 130 mph plus machines over the decades, however the roads and conditions have transformed beyond recognition, where can you use 130 mph anymore with all the traffic flow, with the question of reliability many of the newer bikes are proving not so reliable as they once were.

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #42 on: April 09, 2021, 04:47:00 pm
Hi All,

I am in the US and I am looking to buy a new INT 650. I am curious to know as how may people use it or GT650 as their primary motorcycle?

It's my primary (and only) bike, but I only ride on weekends around here. Not commuting, or on interstates.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

GordonH

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: April 10, 2021, 10:30:53 am
Given its modern design and production techniques (on a state of the art new production line) and under stressed mechanicals, I’ve got no doubt these will be reliable bikes and complete all rounders.

I was attracted to the Interceptor as a replacement for my written off 1200RS as I felt the BM was just too sterile and soulless and I wanted something more than speed and efficiency after 44 yrs of biking(my previous BM, an R1150R had far more character, and was more engaging as a result, pity it burned more oil than fuel......a common oil head trait!).

I intend to use The Interceptor for all my biking needs - back roads, city work, long haul touring.  I have no doubt that it will cope admirably.   I just have to adjust my mindset in terms of the available performance, although having said that, it’s probably just as quick in real life as the BM for 90% of my riding.

Like my other bike, a 79 MZ TS250, it just has that “feel” about it that suggests a long life........and its a whole lot quicker than the MZ.........but alas, doesn’t smell as good!

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 10, 2021, 01:29:50 pm
I have had a long string of BMW s over 25 years, l think the reality is l doubt you would notice the difference in speed, what you find is the savings in petrol and insurance.