Author Topic: Model G advice  (Read 581 times)

Slappy

• Scooter
on: March 04, 2024, 08:41:33 am
Good morning all

Just wondered if I could get some advice from you guys, I have just purchased a 1949 Royal Enfield Model G I will be collecting this next week and there are a couple of things I would like to ask
first one is what engine oil would you recommend as I will be going through the bike to make sure I am happy with everything
next is the fuel what would you recommend, I run my bullet on super but would you use this plus any additives
last is never having owned an older bike the starting procedure as it doesn't have an ignition, also switching off the bike is it just a case of lifting the decompressor

Many thanks Dave.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 11:49:55 am
If it has no ignition then stopping it won't be an issue!

The model G should have a Lucas magdyno fitted, usually with no switch. as you say once the engine is kicked over and running you can use the decompressor to stop it. The only control with the magneto side of the magdyno will be the manual advance and retard controlled by a handlebar lever on the left hand side, normally you have to retard the ignition a bit for starting and moving it back to full advance when the engine is running. Otherwise, starting would be the same as with a points ignition Bullet.

If you want a kill switch on the magneto, there's an aftermarket one here which you can add.

https://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/points-caps-with-cut-outs

When your Model G was new, petrol/gas in the UK, the dreaded "pool petrol", was pretty lousy quality so it ought to run on regular unleaded OK, maybe with an additive for some valve seat protection. Oil would originally have been straight 30 in winter, straight 40 in summer, though you're probably going to be OK with a really good classic 20W50, make sure it has zinc additives.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Slappy

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 02:13:24 pm
Good afternoon Adrian

thanks for your reply, I will get some good quality 20/50 in

I thought it was the case with the decompressor

Thanks Dave.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 08:05:58 pm
We'll have to see if that's available in the UK. Otherwise Valvoline 20W50 claims to have the zinc additives.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Auldgit

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 02:57:51 pm
As a matter of interest, why is a zinc additive important? Would the same advice apply to my '57 Crusader? AG

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 09:10:38 pm
My 2 pesos - Air cooled motors thermal cycle more. The engine internals are generally mechanically rougher. If you change the oil often (500-1000 miles) it probably doesn't matter. But it can't hurt & it's cheap insurance.

https://rislone.com/blog/engine-oil/the-effects-of-zinc-oil-additives-on-older-engines/

The high zinc content is especially useful for cars that are regularly under strain due to temperature change, harsh road conditions, consistently driving at high speeds and pushing your vehicle to its limits, among other straining factors. In situations where the vehicle is under strain, the zinc contents of the oil offer higher heat resistance and reduced oxidation. These features help car engines last longer and improve their overall capabilities.

The primary role of motor oil with zinc added to it is to ensure that there is no metal-to-metal contact occuring between parts of your engine. The oil accomplishes this by creating a protective film between parts. As it does the job so well, it’s often used in high-performance racing cars and other offroad sport vehicles. Due to the engine design of most older vehicles, it’s also a popular option for older vehicles with flat tappet camshafts.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead

Auldgit

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 11:07:49 am
All very interesting. Don't think I'll live long enough to use a drum that big! Cheers. AG

allanfox

• Bulleteer

Slappy

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 12:47:28 pm
Thank you for the reply guys, all very useful, not sure I could use that much 20/50

I am just looking forward to getting the bike now and getting it ready to ride again

Dave.