Author Topic: Interceptor Mk1A lubricants  (Read 605 times)

Millerboy

• Neophyte
on: April 26, 2023, 08:09:46 pm
Hi

I have just bought a 66/67 Mk1A Interceptor that needs recommissioning (at Least!) I have been able to download a workshop manual and a parts list but I cant find info on recommended lubricants (engine, gearbox. chaincase and forks etc) or the relevant quantities. Can anyone help please? Its the sort of info in an owners manual perhaps.

Thanks

Millerboy

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 12:56:23 pm
That info is in the "Instruction Book", aka owner manual.

Normal temps 50-90F the recommendation is straight 40w. They do say 20-40 multi-grade is acceptable.

Today's reality? 20-50. I use Valvoline 'racing' oil because it has the extra zinc and holds up to thermal breakdown much better than 'regular' oil. It's what I do; but this being an oil thread you'll get fifty different opinions.  :)

Transmission the manual essentially says use the same oil as the engine. And, it was typical to use a similar oil in the primary. I used some leftover 10-40 in my gearbox. In the primary, I use Type F automatic transmission fluid. It is what is recommended for my Bullet and seems to work fine in the (basically identical) clutch of the Interceptor. Bonus:  it's a different fluid with a unique color, so you can know what is leaking on your floor a bit easier!
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Millerboy

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 09:25:05 am
Hi David
Thanks that is just the info I need.
Millerboy