Author Topic: Centre Stand  (Read 2980 times)

Link1473

• Scooter
on: March 22, 2023, 06:52:44 pm
Hi all.
New to this forum. I am 74 with a 1955 350 Bullet. Can the Centre Stand be adjusted to make it any easier to get the bike on and off without having to lift the bike. Would appreciate any information or recommondations.
Best regards.
Chris

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 08:47:49 pm
I run a 4.00 x 19 rear tire and a 3.50 x 19 front tire and have minimal lifting-onto-stand issues, no fender rubs either. If you have the steel center stand it can easily be shortened & the feet reattached. If you have the Alloy stand, I believe that Hitchcock's has 3 different lengths available.

I like the larger tire option as the machines weigh +400 pounds and the rider alone adds another 150 - 250. The 3.50 x 19 is rated at only about 500 pounds static. More tire contact surface area is a good thing.

H's also offer a rear sprocket/brake drum that accepts bolt on sprockets for better gearing options.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Link1473

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 11:12:16 pm
Many thanks for that, I will check it out during the week. The alloy stand on the bike has a type of cam on it, Does this serve any purpose in setting up the stand ?.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 12:42:08 am
The Steel stand is a net improvement. Probably cheaper & easier than new tires if you are happy with OEM rubber. The consensus is that the steel conversion is better than the alloy units. Weight is not a particularly significant issue on these machnes! ;D

As far as a cam, Hitchcock's has this item which adjusts the stands retracted clearance so as to not contact the exhaust pipe.
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Stands-Accessories/5329

STEEL STAND:
PART No. 92837; CENTRE STAND CONVERSION WITH ENGINE PLATES AND FIXINGS (INDIAN MADE); £88.00
The standard Royal Enfield alloy centre stand fitted to the Redditch models was not very efficient. When fitted to the Bullets, lifting the bike onto the stand can be a real struggle. We have the answer.... A robust centre stand conversion (complete with engine plates) allowing you to roll the bike on and off the stand without difficulty or embarrassment! It uses well-designed Indian items, the conversion offers more than enough leverage to easily put the bike onto the stand.
Note: Can also be fitted on the Redditch built Enfield twins with siamese exhaust pipes, but NOT twin pipes.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Stands-Accessories/20453
PART No. 38152; CENTRE STAND (ALLOY), BARE; £87.00
Height to the centre of the pivot is approx. 22.5cm  Note: Part Number: 40787 is approximately 1 inch longer than this stand.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Centre-Stand/20456
PART No. 40787; CENTRE STAND, LARGE TYPE; £99.00cc
This is the alloy stand as fitted to the Redditch built models. Re-manufactured in England. The height to the centre of the pivot is approx. 25cm  Note: Part Number: 38152 is approximately 1 inch shorter than this stand.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 10:47:27 am
Hi all.
New to this forum. I am 74 with a 1955 350 Bullet. Can the Centre Stand be adjusted to make it any easier to get the bike on and off without having to lift the bike. Would appreciate any information or recommondations.
Best regards.
Chris

I'm 85 & have had a multitude of pain/muscle mass loss, etc., problems for many years.

The best/simplest way to solve your center stand problem is to run your rear wheel up onto a piece of 1/2" plywood situated so that the center stand legs still contact the floor, not the plywood.

This immediately lightens up the apparent weight of the bike as you lift the bike & pull back while pressing down with your foot.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Link1473

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 02:17:13 pm
Unbelievable response. Thanks for all the support, advice and information. I will explore all the options suggested. And I  thought that I was pushing it at 74. Never say die.
Very best regards.
Chris

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 03:39:58 pm
The Indian centre/center stand is a good upgrade for the old Redditch Bullets, but make sure you get one the right length. Too long and it's harder work.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Link1473

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 04:38:48 pm
How can I determine which one to get.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 04:54:24 pm
The main plus point of the Indian centre stand is the little pedal, if the stand is the right length, foot pressure on this while pulling back on the handlebars will put the bike on the stand easily.

Assuming the Redditch alloy stand is at least the right length to sit the bike with both stand feet and one wheel on the ground, take some measurements and check with the seller that what you're buying will be match the length. It's also worth checking for worn centre stand spindle holes in the rear engine plates.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Link1473

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 06:36:30 pm
Both wheels firmly on the ground when on the Centre Stand.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 07:06:59 pm
In that case, make sure what you're buying AT LEAST matches the length of what's already on there.

A.

Link1473

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 08:03:20 pm
No bother, thanks

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 10:00:38 pm
" Both wheels firmly on the ground when on the Centre Stand. "
" It's also worth checking for worn centre stand spindle holes in the rear engine plates. "

Sure sounds like worn out pivot holes or spindles/pins. The steel version has better "lift action/leverage geometry". Hitchcock's carry the Alloy replacement bits. Normally the rear wheel ends up 1/2" or so off of the ground to facilitate chain adjustment & tire changes.

Link1473

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 09:47:02 am
I will check that out first as I  want to try and keep all it's original parts.
Can't believe the excellent support from you all.
Really appreciate it. I will probably break your hearts now with questions.

Link1473

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 03:03:42 pm
Stand on ebay