Author Topic: 2011 Classic 500 Kickstart is very loose - does not engage  (Read 71 times)

jram.pv

• Scooter
I did an oil change couple of days ago and did not get a chance to ride my Classic 500 yet. Last evening, I tried to kickstart. As per someone's recommendation in the past, I pulled the clutch lever and pushed the kickstart a few times to get the engine oil moving. After that, the kickstart will not engage at all. It is very loose, i just feel the lever moving down with no force, but it returns back to the original position.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Ummm...If I pull in my Iron Barrel's clutch lever WHILE operating the kickstart, I call it "de-gronching the clutch", as described in this thread yesterday: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=32894.msg408754#msg408754

At first there may be a bit of resistance, but this soon completely gives way. Basically, one is just freeing up the clutch plates, which can kind of stick together if they've sat for a bit. "De-gronching" just makes that very first shift from neutral a little less jarring and clunky.

Now, if you've RELEASED the clutch lever and still get no resistance from the kickstart, you've likely got an issue with the kickstart pawl. The good news there is that it's generally not very difficult or expensive to remedy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 04:25:57 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

jram.pv

• Scooter
Thank you. I will probably see if there is anything on youtube to help me fix the pawl.

jram.pv

• Scooter
I couldn't find any resources on how to fix it. Can someone help?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Нехай гарні часи набігають!
Hitchcock's to the rescue as usual. Page 123 of 220 shows the KS guts, likely there is R&R procedure there as well or else enough info to fake it. They have all parts necessary to repair any possible failure. Download this manual and rummage around their website for awhile - too much fun!

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/core/media/media.nl?id=238415&c=1062795&h=733dc903b88af9a659b4&_xt=.pdf

As this post is UCE related, it needs to be reposted to the UCE site - Bilgemaster?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.
and it's looking like I'll be needing this for the Victors:
Трійка куль Pre-Unit: Red Deluxe 500, Green Standard 500 і Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
As can be understood from reading Bilgemaster's post between the lines, but I'll say it again more directly, if your clutch fails to engage for any reason, your kickstart will NOT work.  Kickstart works through the clutch on the UCE.

One way to verify the clutch is engaging is to place the bike in gear (I'd use 2nd) and see if it resists rolling with the lever out (because of engine resistance), but can be rolled with the lever pulled in.

jram.pv

• Scooter
Hi axman88,

The electric start works and I can ride the bike without any problem. Gear shifting looks OK too...