Author Topic: Stylish and comfortable 3/4 face helmet?  (Read 657 times)

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
on: May 09, 2022, 07:17:15 pm
I have had my Bell 500 for about 10 years now and it's getting a little long in the tooth.  I like the look of it but it's just not comfortable.  It seems to be very round whereas my head is more oval shaped, so it pinches my forehead and just generally feels tight.  It also doesn't feel very padded inside and I wouldn't want to get into an actual accident wearing this helmet.  SO....with that being said, anyone have a recommendation for a good 3/4 face helmet that looks decent and feels comfortable?

I wear a full face Arai for most rides, but the 3/4 is me "around town or quick buzz after work" helmet of choice for maybe 5-10% of my riding.

Thanks in advance!
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 08:59:54 pm
I have had my Bell 500 for about 10 years now and it's getting a little long in the tooth.  I like the look of it but it's just not comfortable.  It seems to be very round whereas my head is more oval shaped, so it pinches my forehead and just generally feels tight.  It also doesn't feel very padded inside and I wouldn't want to get into an actual accident wearing this helmet.  SO....with that being said, anyone have a recommendation for a good 3/4 face helmet that looks decent and feels comfortable?

I wear a full face Arai for most rides, but the 3/4 is me "around town or quick buzz after work" helmet of choice for maybe 5-10% of my riding.

Thanks in advance!

Try the HJC helmets, they're well made, very comfortable and very affordable. FWIW one saved my life in a racing accident, though that one was a full face.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 09:16:16 pm
Very familiar with HJC; i'll see what they have on offer for 3/4 these days.  TY
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 09:27:28 pm
Dress for the crash - there won't be any advance warning. A full face can save a LOT of reconstructive surgery & dental work, any inconvenience is a minor concern.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 09:53:11 pm
Dress for the crash - there won't be any advance warning. A full face can save a LOT of reconstructive surgery & dental work, any inconvenience is a minor concern.

Like i said; 5-10% of my riding, slow speeds, etc.  Some would also say "don't ride a motorcycle."  We're all comfortable with various levels of inherent risk right?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 10:03:02 pm
This is a good source for helmet reviews should you want to read evaluations of helmets before deciding what to buy:
https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 11:18:04 pm
+1 on HJC, my dualsport helmet is made by them, it's a really nice helmet for the money. I have a 3/4 helmet made by Bell, it is decent quality, there's lots of color choices but I went with black. It has snaps for old school face shields, handy to have if you hit rain.

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 12:53:03 am
Biltwell Bonanza.  Classic styling.  Nice lining.  Cheap.  Comfortable.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet