Author Topic: 2008 AVL Electra-X Intake Studs  (Read 1203 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: April 11, 2022, 12:24:09 pm
Can't find the OEM carburetor studs in the Parts Book on Hitchcocks site. They are not in the Head section or the Carburetor section.

These are the first step in possibly playing with my Pekar (new Russian carburetor) this coming Spring. The originals were discarded for Allenhead capscrews for the new TM 32 manifold. My Pekar needs studs & nuts; no room to use the capscrews.

This Pekar wants to mount the same way the BS 29 did.

Also cannot figure out which carb insulator spacer I should get for stock AVL stud spacing. The Hitchcocks ads aren't clear to me.

I just know this might become a nightmare I'll wish I hadn't started   :) The TM 32 throttle cable also worries me a bit. It might not be just right for my Pekar.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 12:26:38 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 04:52:30 pm
Can't find the carb mounting screws? That'll be on the hidden parts pages only viewable with a UK ISP!  ;D

There can't be too much mystery involved, I have an original BS29 carb mount somewhere and will check what sort of screw head recesses it has, but given the factory's enthusiasm for M6 stainless socket head cap (allen) screws on this model, we could be looking at more of the same. I'll let you know what I find.

Someone also not a million miles from this keyboard has been known to make their own tufnol carb spacers, I think I still have the other half of this chunk of M8 thickness.

Let me know if you need one made.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 05:11:29 pm

There can't be too much mystery involved, I have an original BS29 carb mount somewhere and will check what sort of screw head recesses it has, but given the factory's enthusiasm for M6 stainless socket head cap (allen) screws on this model, we could be looking at more of the same. I'll let you know what I find.

Let me know if you need one made.

A.

No, they were studs, not screws with any kind of head. You slide the carb onto the studs then put the nuts on.

I'd be happy to let you make a spacer for me  :) :) Thank you, kind sir! Would I guess maybe 2 thicknesses of what you show would be good? Or am I overthinking the heat?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 08:56:14 pm
That's how it used to be with Amals, or still is if you're running one.

OK, stud length: you'll need the depth of the M6 threaded holes in the inlet port (I can probably measure that myself) + thickness of carb flange + 8mm for the thickness of the tufnol (1 of those will be plenty), plus the thickness/depth of your favourite M6 nuts + about another 4mm to allow for a gasket, two washers and a couple of threads proud at the end, I can probably find you some studs too. There are titanium ones out there...

What size holes does the rusky carb have in the flange, and what are its centres? 60mm, same as the Electra-X/AVL Classic head would be nice.... I assume you want a 32mm center hole to match the Fireball inlet tract. Also what's the top to bottom and side to side width of the carb flange?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 09:01:05 pm
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 09:05:58 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 09:12:07 pm
That would do, but a plain center section of the stud would be better for positive location. Just my take...

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 10:51:53 pm
That's how it used to be with Amals, or still is if you're running one.

OK, stud length: you'll need the depth of the M6 threaded holes in the inlet port (I can probably measure that myself) + thickness of carb flange + 8mm for the thickness of the tufnol (1 of those will be plenty), plus the thickness/depth of your favourite M6 nuts + about another 4mm to allow for a gasket, two washers and a couple of threads proud at the end, I can probably find you some studs too. There are titanium ones out there...

What size holes does the rusky carb have in the flange, and what are its centres? 60mm, same as the Electra-X/AVL Classic head would be nice.... I assume you want a 32mm center hole to match the Fireball inlet tract. Also what's the top to bottom and side to side width of the carb flange?

A.

Adrian,

Please let me worry about the studs, OK? It's all just too much unnecessary complication. All I have to do is take one of the capscrews with me to Ace Hdwr. I know they have everything I need there in Metric.

The Pekar looks close to being the same at the head mating surface as the BS 29 & the seller had already increased the bolt center holes to 60mm when I got it because he knew it was for an AVL. He also recommended jets to start with for a 500cc AVL with a little bit high compression.

And I can make gaskets also. Had to make a lotta gaskets in the C.G. in the '60s. They were very skimpy with their maintenance $$$.

Yes, give the Tufnol spacer a 32mm big hole same as for the TM 32. 

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 12:08:03 am
Here's a picture of the head side of my Pekar.
And another.
And another.
And another.
I'm having a glitch uploading pictures. Kept crashing on attempting to upload a second picture.  I finally ended up getting 'er done by uploading one at a time & Saving after each upload then Modifying again and uploading another picture.

Notice how narrow the gasket surface will be at the top of the hole.

Also notice my new Pekar has a tickler AND an enrichment circuit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:20:35 am by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 12:35:24 am
            Adrian,

Yes, give the Tufnol spacer a 32mm big hole same as for the TM 32. 

Sorry, Adrian.

The intake hole of the Pekar at the head connection is 35mm (1 3/8")

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 02:44:39 pm
OK, that's all good. I can do a spacer for 60mm centre M6 mounting holes, I also have 32 AND 35mm hole saws, so I will try and do something with a nice neat taper bore if possible. Have made one like this already for a friend. I probably won't be able to get it shipped before Easter, though.

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 02:57:45 pm
I'm about ready to just call this whole Pekar project off for my own good (& Adrian's).

The problem is that I just can't do anything any more without just total overall body & joint pain. In fact, I doubt that I'll even be able to ride this coming season. ANYthing I do hurts & it's been a long, long time & the many little details to set up this carb are just more than I should be dealing with now. Just moving the bike into & out of the garage is painful & it feels like it weighs another 100 pounds.

This morning I found that I could not find the float bowl gasket for the Pekar. Who knows? Spent a half hour down there looking EVERYwhere - no luck & all I got was a horrendous back, hips & neck pain that finally sent me crawling back upstairs to the couch & laptop. What the hell am I doing it for?

So I looked for gaskets & full rebuild kits for it & nothing pops up except from Kiev, Ukraine. I'm sure they'd just LOVE to deal with me at this time!

So I've emailed the seller of the Pekar. We'll see what he says.

I'm still inclined to call the whole thing off. I'm just shoveling shit against the tide.

IF I get a gasket & IF I get the studs made & if & if & if, the next problem will be the throttle cable ; I can just see it coming.     
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 03:03:14 pm by tooseevee »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 09:12:11 pm
If you DO go for it, tell me. It won't take long to make the spacer.

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 12:12:35 am
If you DO go for it, tell me. It won't take long to make the spacer.

A.

I've got to fight this depression that I've felt this winter more than ever before. I've found gaskets for the Pekar float bowl in Belarus & have ordered two. We'll see how THAT turns out. You see, even while I'm feeling like forgetting it all, I'm going ahead on things so who knows WTF I'm doing? - least of all me.

Yes, let's go ahead on the spacer & believe me, I 'preesheeate it. Address is the same if you still have it.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 10:20:42 am
Will do, you sent me your address in a PM for the fuel hose fittings IIRC.

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 01:37:17 pm
Disregard my last (I totally Deleted it). Total brain fart. Sometimes I worry that I am really losing it  :) :)

The BS 29 mounted to the head via a rubber flange that was attached to the head with two studs or capscrews.

The Pekar mounts directly to the head with two studs or capscrews. No rubber flange.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 02:10:54 pm by tooseevee »