Author Topic: Electrics questions.....  (Read 884 times)

Captain Bob

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: April 20, 2022, 01:52:07 am
Well... I guess I win the "Idiot" contest!  As I am looking at the charging issue, I again, ensured all wiring is correct and has good continuity, re-cleaned control box contacts, re-polarized the dynamo and also checked the dynamo output.  Everything was as it should be.  No problems found.  I start the bike up and am watching the ammeter swing to the negative every time I rev it up and it hits me....  Duh......  the charging system is working perfectly.  It is a positive ground system.  If it was discharging the ammeter would swing positive.  Just the opposite of how things are done here in the US.  I am a big dummy!  I am so used to the negative ground (earth) systems we use here that I forgot I was working with a positive ground.  I should know better whereas my last two Triumph choppers and the Triumph pre-unit bobber my son and I recently built were also positive grounds.  It is not like I haven't worked on these systems before.  Oh well... there is a silver lining.  As I was going through all my system checks, I did find a problem with the screw that holds the two wires into the dynamo.  It seems some of the Bakelite material (I think that is what it is) on the end of the dynamo that screw goes into had chipped and the screw was therefore not long enough to securely hold the wires in place.  I sourced a tad longer screw and remedied that little problem.

Now on to the oil leak.  As I was going through the few spares I received with the bike, I was pleased to see that there was a brand-new timing chest cover gasket.  Perfect.  That timing cover will be removed next to see if the oil seal is properly installed.  I also noticed after running the bike a bit, the gasket on the triangular plate on the magdyno unit was wet. I found the screws were not tight.  I tightened the three screws I could access.  The fourth screw will be accessible after I remove the magdyno unit from the engine.  I am thinking a little blue loctite might be in order for these screws.  more to come.....
08 HD Heritage Classic Softail
55 Indian Woodsman
14 Continental GT 535

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #31 on: April 20, 2022, 12:21:44 pm
They do not give them away do they....  ;D  However, you probably do not see many of these around either.  Interesting magneto.  A little different in design then my Lucas MOL1

The alien artefact magdyno went to 820GBP or $1,056.49 at auction! Some REALLY wanted that one...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Captain Bob

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: April 20, 2022, 07:32:08 pm
The alien artefact magdyno went to 820GBP or $1,056.49 at auction! Some REALLY wanted that one...

A.

WOW!  I wasn't expecting that.  I guess someone really did want it.  That is some serious change.
55 Indian Woodsman
14 Continental GT 535

Captain Bob

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: May 13, 2022, 01:02:07 am
Quick update on the oil leakage and also a question.  I finally got some time to take a closer look at the oil puddling (while riding) at the rear base of the cylinder.  It seems to definitely be coming from the magdyno/timing chest assembly.  I pulled the timing chest cover off today and using a triumph timing gear to lock up the timing chest gears, was able to easily remove the nut of the magdyno gear.  Now the big question....  Anyone have an easy way of pulling the magdyno gear?  I do not have a puller that will fit between the case and the gear.  Perhaps, Hitchcock's may sell the correct puller but was wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks they would like to share.  I am reluctant to tap on the dyno shaft to try to free it up.  Any thoughts, as always, are greatly appreciated.   ;D
55 Indian Woodsman
14 Continental GT 535