Author Topic: Erratic starting problems  (Read 2318 times)

IlyaM

• Scooter
on: March 25, 2022, 04:23:40 am
Himalayan 2021, just 1220 from new, and now suddenly there are erratic starting problems. Sometimes the fuel pump doesn't start (no sound), sometimes the pump starts and the engine cranks but doesn't fire, sometimes everything is dead although instruments light up, and sometimes the bike starts with a loud backfire.
Any suggestions? Heard it may be due to faulty relays - which are the best replacements? The dealer is sending 2 relays to replace the 5on the bike...
All suggestions gratefully received.

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 07:21:52 am
It does sound like the relays. They’re often found with an excessive amount of grease on them. Give them a clean and try again. See if that helps. See what the dealer replacement relays do. And when it comes to replacing them any suitable relay from a reputable automotive parts store will work well.

Hitchcock’s sells good ones, I believe.
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

IlyaM

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 07:58:10 am
Thanks. I was very surprised to see the relays slathered i sticky white gloop. The dealer said to leave it as it is designed to "improve electrical connection" (quote). I've never heard of such a thing in my life.
As you suggest, surely this will instead impair proper connection rather than improve it.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 12:56:43 pm
Also check that you battery terminals are clean and tight. 

I have an electric motorcycle and its connections are slathered with thick silicone grease to keep moisture out of the parts. So I am not sure it that goop actually interferes with the electrical connection, but you could try cleaning all of the relay contacts and then smearing silicone grease around the contacts after connecting them back together again to keep your dealer happy.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 02:06:23 pm
I cleaned the grease of my relays to day, the grease definitely causes starting and pump issues l proved that today, after l removed them for inspection and then placed them back went as dead as dodo, removed them cleaned them and terminals with white sprit and paint bush then all worked fine.

IlyaM

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 02:57:07 pm
Thanks for the feedback! Will replace the relays and clean the contacts. Hoping for success!

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 09:56:11 am
Well l never found the relays bad just the huge amounts of grease, l put a cloth under the plugs turned them facing upwards and just kept stabbing them with a small paint brush and washed the grease out, they detach from the frame on a slide on rear of connector box, did the same with relays, l personally don’t think the relays are at fault they either work of the don’t, it’s that grease terrible stuff l will keep mine clean now and give them a light spray with AC 50 once a year

f64

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 04:03:23 am
Ideally, the connection should be tight enough for the metal to metal contact of the terminals to squeeze the grease away from the connection.
I think the problem is the connectors are too loose and the grease keeps the terminals from making contact causing an erratic connection.
You may be able to melt a layer of solder on the terminals of the relay to make the terminals thicker.
Or you could tighten up the female portion of the connector instead with a tiny screwdriver.
2021 himalayan usa
fuel injected
evap bypassed
booster plug
tps set to .55v

1981 KZ440 D2
Motogadget M-Unit Blue

VikingOverlander

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 07:29:27 am
Himalayan 2021, just 1220 from new, and now suddenly there are erratic starting problems. Sometimes the fuel pump doesn't start (no sound), sometimes the pump starts and the engine cranks but doesn't fire, sometimes everything is dead although instruments light up, and sometimes the bike starts with a loud backfire.
Any suggestions? Heard it may be due to faulty relays - which are the best replacements? The dealer is sending 2 relays to replace the 5on the bike...
All suggestions gratefully received.

I replaced all the relays with Hella Relays ( german made and they were cheap to) i had problem with the headlight didnt work , so instead of chasing the foult relay i just replaced them all so in the future i wouldnt have stalling and staring issues ,, the old ones i placed under the rear seat for backup . you know .. just in case ;-)

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 05:45:26 pm
I’ve had a similar fate…..2020 Euro 4….engine turns over and nothing else….at first I put it down to the free flow exhaust, Delkevic, me not being used to the starting procedure…..I even put the multi meter across the grease to check its conductivity….open circuit as expected….diesel soaked rag on the relay pins G85 on the sockets….still not convinced so I’ve ordered 2 new relays…
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 05:47:16 pm
I’ve tried some other photos no worky
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎