Author Topic: If we got to design our own windshield / fairing...  (Read 4806 times)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
on: March 21, 2022, 04:25:21 pm
If we got to design our own windshield / fairing what would it look like AND what would it do?
I have a windshield that works pretty well at deflecting the wind and is pretty much turbulence free. But it doesn't look very good and is not very faithful to the retro "vibe".
Frame mounted bikini, full dustbin, touring, cafe, fork mounted ... While it seems like there are a lot of choices but really it breaks down to either looks or function.
 The history of windshields coughs up a few alternatives which mercifully faded away.

I'd love to have one like this but which was hinged to pop-up with fabric sides for when the temperature drops or the rain starts.

What say you?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 06:15:32 pm
I would love something similar to what I had in the Triumph Thruxton R... 

I know that I miss that bike and I am trying to make the Continental GT 650 look like it... I know... Still, a fairing like that one would be so cool...

I know I will just end up buying the MK Designs... have not been able to find anything that looks better than that one for my bike...

Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 06:30:26 pm

Very cool. I can see why you like to have another. How was it for protection?

Have you ever checked out https://airtech-streamlining.com/ They have been around forever. Good peeps.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 06:34:29 pm
Personally, I find the MK Designs fairing to be too big, and sticks out way too far in front. It looks awkward and inelegant. There was a photo of another set up for the RE, a full fairing, kind of a dustbin thing that I thought was even more hideous. I bought a naked bike because that's what I prefer. I don't need or want to hide my bike under a few pounds of tupperware, thankyouverymuch.

The Turuxton R faring is the gold standard in my book, it just looks the part and it fits perfectly in every dimension. My only gripe is that is locks you into a bit more of a forward crouch than I'm willing to live with on a long ride.

My quest for a suitable fairing went far and wide, with most of the bikini types being too large and out of scale. So I went with small, light, simple and something that actually improves the aerodynamics and keeps the bike stable while punching a clean hole in the air.

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/carenabrises-retro-vintage/semi-fairing-retro?&location_iso=US

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 06:37:32 pm by NJ Mike »
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 06:46:39 pm

The Thruxton R faring is the gold standard in my book, it just looks the part and it fits perfectly in every dimension. My only gripe is that is locks you into a bit more of a forward crouch than I'm willing to live with on a long ride....

If it is because the instructions call for using the lower handlebar mounts, the instructions are misleading... I kept the stock handlebar mounts and at the stock height.  It was super comfortable on long (1,000+ miles) rides...   

I am happy with my GT 650, but I miss that TTR...
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Dutch Rider

• Grease Monkey
  • Netherlands
RE Interceptor, 2021.
Ducati Mille MHR Special, 1985.
Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, 1973.
Garelli Record 50CC, 1969.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 09:36:28 pm
I really liked the frame mounted fairing that came with the Cafe kit for my TRX850. It looked great. It also worked better as a fairing than the stock one, somehow. I'm not super creative so I doubt id be able to design anything myself tho...
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 09:40:37 pm
The C-Racer obviously gets my vote (and got my money)
Very similar to MK but does not stick out as far. Does not relocate headlight.
 I would like the windscreen to be a bit taller, I had to add a couple of spacers to get the angle of the screen from blocking the clocks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:02:45 pm by JessHerbst »
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 10:02:08 pm
If it is because the instructions call for using the lower handlebar mounts, the instructions are misleading... I kept the stock handlebar mounts and at the stock height.  It was super comfortable on long (1,000+ miles) rides...   

I am happy with my GT 650, but I miss that TTR...

It was gorgeous  - why did you get rid of it?

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 12:01:52 am

I know that I miss that bike and I am trying to make the Continental GT 650 look like it... I know... Still, a fairing like that one would be so cool...

I know I will just end up buying the MK Designs... have not been able to find anything that looks better than that one for my bike...
Yeah, that’s a nice fairing.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 12:05:50 am
I think the bikes looks far better with no fairing. The fairing design I’d like to try is the R100RS which always looked effective and pretty stylish.

Always used to laugh at bikes with those hideous Vetter windjammers
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 03:53:09 am
It was gorgeous  - why did you get rid of it?

At the time I was under a "one-bike-at-a-time" rule.... And wanted to go riding with my friends across the country... doing the four corners in the USA.  Could not do that in the Triumph and traded that in for the BMW F850GSA...   

So, stupid of me for getting rid of it... 

Now I want to get rid of the BMW after doing a few of the trips... great bike for long trips... hate it for everything else.  Too top heavy for me.

Missed the Thruxton too much, could not see myself spending 16,000+ again on one... got the Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and fairly happy with it...specially since my wife did not even say anything when I told her how much it was...

So the GT650 stays, it is paid for... I will never get another Thruxton... and I will get a new Honda Gold Wing Tour DCT for the long trips...

That is the plan anyway...when the craziness of supply are over.  Dealers right now are taking advantage of buyers... at least they tried to do so with me when I went asking about the Gold Wing... most of them wanted 8-9K over MSRP for the bike... they can shove it.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 03:55:10 am
Very cool. I can see why you like to have another. How was it for protection?

Have you ever checked out https://airtech-streamlining.com/ They have been around forever. Good peeps.

I did, but was hoping for a plug and play solution... I really do not want to take on another project.  My garage is full of those  :o  ::)  ;D
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 09:32:09 am
At the time I was under a "one-bike-at-a-time" rule.... And wanted to go riding with my friends across the country... doing the four corners in the USA.  Could not do that in the Triumph and traded that in for the BMW F850GSA...   

So, stupid of me for getting rid of it... 

Now I want to get rid of the BMW after doing a few of the trips... great bike for long trips... hate it for everything else.  Too top heavy for me.

Missed the Thruxton too much, could not see myself spending 16,000+ again on one... got the Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and fairly happy with it...specially since my wife did not even say anything when I told her how much it was...

So the GT650 stays, it is paid for... I will never get another Thruxton... and I will get a new Honda Gold Wing Tour DCT for the long trips...

That is the plan anyway...when the craziness of supply are over.  Dealers right now are taking advantage of buyers... at least they tried to do so with me when I went asking about the Gold Wing... most of them wanted 8-9K over MSRP for the bike... they can shove it.

I'm familar with that n=1 rule. My cunning plan is to get her riding with me and increase the fleet by osmosis; so far it's working.

Not sure I'd want to take the hit on a new Goldwing - I see 4-5yr old ones with 40,000km on the clock selling for well under half the 46-49k RRP here ..

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 10:27:53 am

... and I will get a new Honda Gold Wing Tour DCT for the long trips...

Not sure I'd want to take the hit on a new Goldwing - I see 4-5yr old ones with 40,000km on the clock selling for well under half the 46-49k RRP here ..
Yeah the GoldWings are pricey both new and used. I have sorta, mostly always had a used GoldWing in the fleet. There were a few years of drinking BMW flavored KoolAid. A couple of months ago I picked up a Honda ST1300 ex cop bike. That is what got me thinking about weather proofing again for the RE 650.
_ So I keep thinking that a "cafe", "bikini" fairing could be upgraded with a hinge.
This is OK(ish) and with a adjustable top spoiler it is better(ish) to fight the temperature drop when the sun goes down.