Author Topic: Time for new tires  (Read 1174 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ding a ding dang my dangalong linglong
Reply #30 on: May 11, 2022, 02:24:53 am
Man, those guys would be as spooky as f.ck on the rain grooved concrete expressway that was built near me recently. Anything with radial grooves is horrible. The bike weaves from side to side, and doesn't seem to be any correlation between the front and rear wheel. They just do their own things. Not a problem for me though because I don't use it very often. Just saying. My old Pantah has Lasertecs on. They're very heavy on the radial grooves. I won't take it on that road.

But the ones you're getting, they look like they'd be pretty comfortable on your bumpy roads. Let the pressure down a bit and let that tall sidewall soak up the bumps.

I had an email this morning to say my Michelin isn't in stock either (Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse, up your way. excellent service), then a few minutes later the local tyre guy called back to say he'd tracked down a AM26 if I want it! Happy days  :) .
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
SL125

StreetKleaver

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: May 11, 2022, 03:04:26 am
Man, those guys would be as spooky as f.ck on the rain grooved concrete expressway that was built near me recently. Anything with radial grooves is horrible. The bike weaves from side to side, and doesn't seem to be any correlation between the front and rear wheel. They just do their own things. Not a problem for me though because I don't use it very often. Just saying. My old Pantah has Lasertecs on. They're very heavy on the radial grooves. I won't take it on that road.

But the ones you're getting, they look like they'd be pretty comfortable on your bumpy roads. Let the pressure down a bit and let that tall sidewall soak up the bumps.

I had an email this morning to say my Michelin isn't in stock either (Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse, up your way. excellent service), then a few minutes later the local tyre guy called back to say he'd tracked down a AM26 if I want it! Happy days  :) .
Motorcycle tyre warehouse is fantastic. Always pretty quick with their service.

Luckily there isn't a rain grooved expressway until you hit closer to around the Coffs region in NSW.
All the roads in Queensland, especially the highways/motorways are that smooth Bitumen or Concrete. B roads and Country roads is that course aggregate. Closest tram line is in the Gold Coast and its mostly got its own corridor.

My Bullet has Mitas H01 and H02. The H01 is radial grooved and sticks like sh*t to a blanket. It corners better than the bike will allow and I can get pegs dragging and throwing sparks.  ;D
Although I found tyres and oil on forums/FB groups are a touchy subject like footy teams. Depends where you live and ride mostly. I have windy roads in the hinterland of the Sunshine coast, but that's a 3hr hike just to get to them. Which I'm hoping to get down this weekend but its pissing monsoonal rain atm.

Captain Bob

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: May 11, 2022, 03:16:07 am
I've just been looking for a new rear Avon AM26 but theyre out of stock everywhere. My local tyre shop could only sell me that dreary Dunlop gt601, not a fan. Ordered a Michelin Road Classic for $200 delivered.

Yikes!  $200 just for the rear.  That is pricey.  Will be a good tire though!
08 HD Heritage Classic Softail
55 Indian Woodsman
14 Continental GT 535

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ding a ding dang my dangalong linglong
Reply #33 on: May 11, 2022, 04:20:08 am
Yikes!  $200 just for the rear.  That is pricey.  Will be a good tire though!
Australian dollars, though. Everything's dearer here.

Although I found tyres and oil on forums/FB groups are a touchy subject like footy teams.
I hear you. Everyone thinks they're an expert. Makes me laugh when guys go on about this or that tyre and I think how Surtees, Hailwood et al used to wail around on those skinny tyres that look like they belong on a postie bike 😂
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
SL125

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: May 12, 2022, 05:13:48 pm
It would be much better idea to buy a cheap tire and donate the difference to some world saving foundation.  ;)
"Proles and Animals are free"
"Ignorance is strength"

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: May 12, 2022, 06:46:55 pm
It would be much better idea to buy a cheap tire and donate the difference to some world saving foundation.  ;)

Like Greta's?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 06:52:16 pm by Richard230 »
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Captain Bob

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: May 12, 2022, 09:55:03 pm
Like Greta's?  ;)

Good one!  LMAO!   ;D
08 HD Heritage Classic Softail
55 Indian Woodsman
14 Continental GT 535

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: May 14, 2022, 11:38:57 pm
Probably any brand name tyre will do everything you need it to. And depends how retro you want to go. I'm loving my Avon Roadrider 2's and I think they llok great on the bike. If you want older school, how about Dunlop K81/TT100?

Also, 10,000 miles on a pair of Sport Demons is incredible.

Agreed. 10,000 is amazing. Doubt I'll get 4000miles on my rear

I got rid of the Pirelli OEM tyres long before they were worn out on my Continental GT

Their dreadful tendency for 'tram-lining'  (following imperfections in the road) made it difficult to filter through traffic

Avon Roadriders was my choice for replacement - Avon advertise that Roadriders don't suffer from tram-lining and I've found that claim is correct

I use them (or the 'race' equivalent) on 3 of my 4 bikes and am very happy with them - they work well in all conditions

I got rid of the Pirelli OEM tyres long before they were worn out on my Continental GT

Their dreadful tendency for 'tram-lining'  (following imperfections in the road) made it difficult to filter through traffic

Avon Roadriders was my choice for replacement - Avon advertise that Roadriders don't suffer from tram-lining and I've found that claim is correct

I use them (or the 'race' equivalent) on 3 of my 4 bikes and am very happy with them - they work well in all conditions

Same here horrid "white lining"  as we call it. Actually pretty scary.
2018 535 Continental GT
2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000s DS
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
early US import Kawasaki z550LTD (Bobber)
1984 Honda VF500FII
1995 Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (XPA police bike version)