Author Topic: BSA  (Read 17274 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 10:53:02 pm
@ #12: Camaro? Mustang? Triumph? Norton? Lots of new clean sheet vehicles sold with implied old school "contact magic". It's all about available disposable income & mechanical aptitude. A REAL Goldstar has to be bid away from professional monied collectors and requires a lot of shop time, hand machined parts, love & money to be ridable on a regular basis. A clean sheet design with EFI & electric leg are godsends to us aged wards, "decal engineering" may be the best answer to an affordable, pretty daily driver. Like the 350 Meteor, 535 GT & 650 Interceptor, clean sheet but still good, fun bikes. Indians can run the potential sales numbers/brand appeal pretty well, hopefully they didn't drop the ball designing the new BSA.
They don't even come close. Mustang, Camaro, Made by the original manufacturers of course they can evolve. But these Indian manufacturers are using historical greatness to peddle their cookie cutter crap. That I cant abide.

2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2021, 11:45:26 pm
Another link -
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2022-bsa-gold-star/
" Available in your choice of five colours, the A2-compliant machine is powered by a 652cc single-cylinder DOHC engine, producing a claimed 45bhp at 6000rpm and 41ftlb of torque at 4000rpm. Service intervals come every 6200 miles.
Sporting fins reminiscent of the original air-cooled Gold Star, which ceased production in the 1960s, BSA say the new Euro5 motor starts to pull from as little as 1800rpm – making life that bit easier when chugging along the back lanes. There’s also an assist and slipper clutch, too.
Holding that motor in place is a tubular steel dual cradle chassis, with suspension provided by a set of 41mm non-adjustable forks, plus five-stage preload adjustable twin shocks.
There’s also a set of Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp tyres, which wrap around the 18in front and 17in rear 36-spoke rims – with braking power provided by a single 320mm front and 255mm rear disc with Brembo calipers and two channel ABS.
But it’s not all about engine stats and chassis components. Bikes like this need to look as good as they ride, and we reckon BSA have nailed the brief.
Sat on top of the rumbling engine is a 12-litre fuel tank, said to be inspired by the M24 and DB34 Gold Star models. You get the trademark BSA logo on either side, with pin striping and an offset fuel filler cap.
Moving back, there’s a typically Brit bike flat seat with a height of 780mm, which works with the gentle pegs and bars for a comfortably relaxed riding position.
Moving forward, there’s also twin analogue clocks, complete with internal LCD display and a USB charger mounted on the handlebars.
There’s no word on pricing yet, but we’d expect something in the region of £5000 and £6000 ($6500-$7800) – making it a direct competitor to Royal Enfield’s uber popular 650 twin range.

" Made by the original manufacturers of course they can evolve. "
Didn't the Mustang "evolve" into a Pinto for awhile? Just selling a name didn't work out, so they revisited it with a clean sheet of paper, just like BSA did.

Sounds pretty "home grown" from these - Much like RE's Meteor. Since BSA evaporated 50 years ago, the British design team would have had to "What If" a lot of things. Building a 1940's repli-bike wasn't an option - things have changed over time. Looks like they took what tech was currently available that worked better than the original 1950's tech, then followed the styling clues left behind. No need for sodium-filled valves in 2021. The machine has to stand on its own merits, the market will decide. If there is a place for an $8000 Janus 250, there is certainly a place for a new, nicely finished, user friendly, retro-looking $7000 650 thumper.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/552336/bsa-gold-star-650-revealed/
Where will the Gold Star be built? According to Classic Legends co-founder Anupam Thareja, it’s entirely a U.K. affair, from design to the build process.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/bsa-motorcycles-reveals-new-gold-star-650-2022-preview-event
Designed in the UK and built in India

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/two-wheelers/2022-bsa-gold-star-is-here-challenging-royal-enfield-650-twins-41638524406085.html
As the brand claims, this motorcycle will be designed, developed and manufactured in the UK.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 12:40:04 am
Is there one detail from an actual Gold Star anywhere on this machine?
 Nine grand for an Indian pretender, really?
 I am getting a little tired of what our Indian friends determine what cool is.
How about you? (Seen the Jawa?)
They don't determine what's cool, they look around the world to see what's in fashion and copy that, but a day late and a dollar short.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 03:57:57 am
Actual BSA website: https://www.bsacompany.co.uk/

Another article:
https://paultan.org/2021/12/03/bsa-motorcycles-returns-with-the-bsa-gold-star-as-part-of-the-mahindra-group-official-launch-dec-4/
There are also plans to produce the Gold Star in its original home city of Birmingham
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2021, 06:41:40 am
Woohoo! One of the videos shows that horse power will go up too! Fancy RE fans critical of Indian built motorcycles.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 07:03:43 am by Warwick »
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 07:21:55 am
60 HP doesn't seem an outrageous number to expect with some "race" tuning from a modern 4 valve, liquid cooled, EFI, DOHC, probably "square" bore/stroke design. The original 500cc DB34 Gold Star made about 42 HP and weighed about 420 pounds wet, so the new version isn't too far off that mark, and with electric start, EFI & brakes that work, and most likely "appliance-like reliability" to boot. It's all good sport. If we were actually trying to save money getting from place to place we'd either get a bus pass or a cheap used Kia Rio or Mitsubishi Mirage. Can't wait for a road test/review!

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/BSA/BSA%20DBD34%20GS.htm

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2021, 09:32:25 am
60 HP doesn't seem an outrageous number to expect with some "race" tuning from a modern 4 valve, liquid cooled, EFI, DOHC, probably "square" bore/stroke design. The original 500cc DB34 Gold Star made about 42 HP and weighed about 420 pounds wet, so the new version isn't too far off that mark, and with electric start, EFI & brakes that work, and most likely "appliance-like reliability" to boot. It's all good sport. If we were actually trying to save money getting from place to place we'd either get a bus pass or a cheap used Kia Rio or Mitsubishi Mirage. Can't wait for a road test/review!

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/BSA/BSA%20DBD34%20GS.htm

All the gimmicks are meaningless if it's a 90ish stroke and won't  be good to rev much further than 6000 revs. You want 60hp, make it rev. 9000. Good luck.

Technically efi, electronic ignition is about all i would want. ABS?  ::) You want a safe ride? Get a car.

The fake cooling ribs don't make the bike look any cooler, the huge water tank infront is about as beautiful as the elephant trunk of an header with the added benefit that it can't be removed. Too big and fat, the original was a nimble bike back than with a class leading performance.

It's like comparing Muhammad Ali with an steroid filled junkie such as Arnold Schwazenegger, both look good on the picture. The outcome in the ring would tell a different story.

I just love this kind of f***tards to come out and preach blood sweat and tears.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:18:59 am by derottone »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2021, 12:15:29 pm
Look, I know it's no more a REAL BSA than I am King Mswati III of Swaziland, but I'm still curious to see and hear one in the wild or at least watch a review or three by most anyone other than that Yammie Boob creature. Frankly though, I'd have been just as curious if it were badged as a Mahindra. And I not only remember BSA, but owned one, and according to my tax returns at least, appear to still be more or less a going concern here in The Land of the Living.

"I want to see the new Mahindra!"

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #23 on: December 05, 2021, 12:47:48 pm
The new BSA is definitely a lot more user friendly than the old one. If it would sell at all without the BSA badge? Probably not so much. I still would get one, it would need adjustments.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 12:52:48 pm by derottone »

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: December 05, 2021, 12:49:01 pm
Maybe a double wall to avoid bueing? ...looks very thick. Personally i like the discoloration on the header, particularly on stainless.
Royal Enfield Bullets/Classics have double walled header pipes, but not as massively thick as this drainpipe!
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: December 05, 2021, 12:52:10 pm
I'm guessing the 45 HP is measured at the crank not the rear wheel.
BHP measured at the crank is the standard all manufacturers have used for as long as I can remember.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2021, 12:54:53 pm
Pretty but under-powered and over-weight  :-\
Agreed. A modern four valve 650 water cooled single should be able to produce at least 70BHP. That BSA is very heavy for a single!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2021, 12:57:18 pm
Look, I know it's no more a REAL BSA than I am King Mswati III of Swaziland, but I'm still curious to see and hear one in the wild or at least watch a review or three by most anyone other than that Yammie Boob creature. Frankly though, I'd have been just as curious if it were badged as a Mahindra. And I not only remember BSA, but owned one, and according to my tax returns at least, appear to still be more or less a going concern here in The Land of the Living.

"I want to see the new Mahindra!"
Bilgemaster, you hit the nail on the head. That bike is an insult to anyone who has been in the presence of an actual BSA Goldie. Why not name these machines proudly Indian?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2021, 01:17:37 pm
From an utilitarian perspective i would take the RE twin though. Think about how much money you could save on the rear tire wear only.  ;)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 05, 2021, 01:20:29 pm
While still in the rumor stage I expected something "Transformer" cartoon like  that so many bikes are styled as  with a nod to the old Gold Star. This one comes much closer in looks than the new Triumph twins do to a 69 Bonneville IMHO so I give them points for that. I say more power to you if you want to own one, same with the R.E. Interceptors. My ownership of an Iron barrel Bullet is my first foray into ownership of a quasi British classic that was manufactured away from the country of origin, all the rest of my Brit bikes have been true classics. I'm enjoying my Bullet but when I am around real classic bikes I feel like the guy who took the fat girl to the prom. I suppose it all comes down to what each of us finds acceptable and how we define classic, I draw the line at Iron Barrels and for others a later UCE is acceptable. While I admire the looks of the new Gold Star I don't have a burning desire to own one, just a passing interest.
My apologies to those of you who did take a portly date to the school dance.