Author Topic: Real Ground Speed  (Read 1262 times)

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
on: July 27, 2022, 03:26:11 am
I've had a lot of bikes and have never seen one that didn't have a speedometer that was not a little bit optimistic .   
So
I got my GPS stuck on my Meteor and off I went for a ride.

The Meteor speedometer needed to get up to 53mph for the GPS to read 50mph.
Well
Knowing that "speedometer error" is a linear equation , its easy to see we are dealing with a 6% error.

How to fix it is next ?

The sure way is to use a 6% larger dia. tire on the wheel that has the speedometer pick-up.   
well
That's where the problem comes from :  Both wheels have Speedometer pick-up ! ? !!  ???

Some bikes have the speedometer pick-up in the transmission , is the Meteor one of them ?   
If so then a simple change of sprockets fixes it ?
 What do you feller think ? 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 03:36:58 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 06:37:22 am
I doubt you would find a bike from any manufacturer, unless it is a police model, that didn't have a slightly optimistic speedometer, but it will be highly unlikely you find one that reads too low either. They make 'em that way. My Honda has about a 7% error. That's not something I figured out for myself, but is the consensus from others that monitor things such as this on a ST forum.

Look upon it as a bit of insurance against exceeding a speed limit when you are indicated as already 5 - 10 mph over the limit. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

michiel

• Bulleteer
  • Meteor 2021, Germany, Hamburg
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 08:29:40 am
A certain advance of the speedometer is intentional.

andif62

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 08:54:30 am

Knowing that "speedometer error" is a linear equation , its easy to see we are dealing with a 6% error.

Don‘t think that it is as simple.
The speedo of my wife‘s new Classic 350 shows 50 km/h when GPS shows only 42 but the difference is getting smaller at 90 km/h displayed (GPS 85 in/h).
So there is no linearity at least with her bike
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Chrome Red
BMW F800GS

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 02:09:34 pm

How to fix it is next ?

The sure way is to use a 6% larger dia. tire on the wheel that has the speedometer pick-up.   
well
That's where the problem comes from :  Both wheels have Speedometer pick-up ! ? !!  ???

Some bikes have the speedometer pick-up in the transmission , is the Meteor one of them ?   
If so then a simple change of sprockets fixes it ?

Your knowledge is a bit out of date.  Even the old spinning magnet speedos had two error sources - a fixed offset and a scaling error.  The first is constant (needle set wrong on the shaft) and is added to the second (magnet too strong or weak), which is linear. That means a 5% error at one speed does not mean a 5% error at all speeds.

But none of that applies to the Meteor.  The speedo is driven electronically by signals from the ABS wheel speed sensors.  These are fed into a microcontroller which then generates the appropriate drive signals for the stepper motor which drives the needle round.  Thus the software in the microcontroller is responsible for how much error is displayed on the speedo.  Also, there is no reason to assume it's linear; it probably is, but not definitely - they can do what they like in software.

You could fool the system by fitting larger diameter wheels / tyres, but you would have to do the same to both wheels.  Otherwise the ABS system will flag an error due to the two wheels reading different speeds.

Nothing is impossible, but I think correcting the speedo error will be much more difficult than you imagine.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 03:57:10 pm
Thanks Steve , Your probably right (to much truble) . 
I didn't see your reply before posting the above post and now I can't modify it for some odd reason ? 
So what does the stepper motor pull against , ya think ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 04:07:13 pm by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 03:28:29 am
I had to look up what a Stepper Motor is .

My electronic education was in 1978 and didn't include such things .  Then I spent 33 years in a totally un-related field.   

I like to learn something new everyday and today it was "Stepper Motors" .   ;)
So THANKS for the tip !!

Yes , the bridge picture is less that 3 years old.   I still look the same
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 03:31:16 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 12:09:36 pm

well

I know this dead speedo horse has already been well beaten, but I don't believe your math proves out. I don't believe a 6% increase in tire circumference will yield a 6% correction at the speedometer. It just doesn't sound that simple.

A question for those on the forums here who may be computer-controlled motorcycle wizards: Why isn't there a way to calibrate these electronic speedometers (in conjunction with GPS) using a laptop?* You should be able to hit a compromise where the speedo is more accurate at each 10MPH increments than it is from the factory? I'm sure the Feds would have a hemorrhage.

* I have NO idea how this could be done on the road  :) Maybe a smartphone app? I'm sure it would be immediately illegal.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 02:04:21 pm
tooseevee

I'm new to the forum and didn't know "That horse had already been called up". 

Gearing has always been and can't be nothing but % and linear.  Its pure physics .   Math don't change.   If you double the RPM of the input shaft then you double the RPM of the output shaft , its really that simple.   Unless there is a "Torque-Converter" in the drive line.

Computer controlled can change the read-out according to the program .   In the old BASIC Computer programming we used a command called  "Let".
So :  Let X=X+(X*V) .  It's a way to run the Variable "X" to be a Hyperbolic Curve. 
I know now we just assure the prompts in someone else's program , and that's OK.

My 1999 Astro van is almost 10% off , so it ain't nothing new.

I'll just learn to live with the Speedometer error.      We're dealing with someone else's program , It's just how it is !  ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 02:52:34 pm by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 03:55:10 pm
tooseevee

I'm new to the forum and didn't know "That horse had already been called up". 

Gearing has always been and can't be nothing but % and linear.  Its pure physics .   Math don't change.   If you double the RPM of the input shaft then you double the RPM of the output shaft , its really that simple.   Unless there is a "Torque-Converter" in the drive line.

Computer controlled can change the read-out according to the program .   In the old BASIC Computer programming we used a command called  "Let".
So :  Let X=X+(X*V) .  It's a way to run the Variable "X" to be a Hyperbolic Curve. 
I know now we just assure the prompts in someone else's program , and that's OK.

My 1999 Astro van is almost 10% off , so it ain't nothing new.

I'll just learn to live with the Speedometer error.      We're dealing with someone else's program , It's just how it is !  ;D

I was only commenting on this thread & all I meant was we all know we just have to deal with speedometer error. It wasn't personal to you as a new guy.

And all I asked was "would it be possible to have, say, an app to calibrate, in real time, a speedometer, on the bike". Not mine, you understand, just anybody. I don't HAVE any apps or a smart phone & don't want one & don't Care. I'm just asking.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 10:10:57 pm
 :)

Yea , Dexter had it right - I'll just learn to live with it.

Hay , on the subject of tire size ?
I've got a 130/90-17 on my Guzzi V7II , that looks wider than the 140/70-17 on the Enfield ??   Its a Shinko 712 and it only lasted 8K-miles , so I'm replacing it with a Dunlop 404 in 130/90-17.  The Dunlop looks taller than the same size in Shinko ?? 
It will be next spring before I'm looking for a rear tire for the Meteor but has anybody tried a different tire size on the forum here ?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:18:50 pm by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

michiel

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 10:43:37 am
Fail

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 01:36:08 am
Fail ? ???
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

michiel

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 07:33:18 am
I made a mistake and did not know how to delete the post.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 03:04:11 pm
Same thing happened to me a few days ago.   My VPN changed my IP address and I lost control of editing/deleting my post.   

Thank you Moderator for helping out !  :)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 03:11:35 pm by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue