Author Topic: Mikuni TM-32 Fuel Inlet Fitting  (Read 2820 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: September 12, 2021, 12:24:54 am
       Is there a 1/4" fuel inlet fitting for the TM-32 "out there"? If there is, I have had no luck finding out. Stock one takes 5/16" ID tubing.

Are they pressed in or threaded? Anyone know?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 11:41:15 am
Here are some 1/4" to 5/16" tubing adapters, stainless steel, might be easier than reworking the fuel inlet?

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/CellarBrew-Splicer-Stainless-Reducing-Fitting/dp/B07VCDH83L/ref=asc_df_B07VCDH83L/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416671159365&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2377603642120247938&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031849&hvtargid=pla-870134488534&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=93604213093&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416671159365&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2377603642120247938&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031849&hvtargid=pla-870134488534

JoyTube Hose Barb Reducer 5/16" to 1/4" Barb Hose ID Stainless Steel Reducing Union Fittings Air Water Fuel (Pack of 6)
Visit the JoyTube Store ; Price $9.99

That's what I want to get away from. F-ing reducers.

I've gone through this painful exercise 2 or three times before since I rethreaded my tank & installed the new petcock & I did it again yesterday for 3 hours including two trips to Ace Hardware. It's a real hand killer for me & not just hands.

The problem is the look of my fuel line & the filter has never made me happy because there's no way to do it so it looks simple & smooth because my petcock outlet is 1/4" & the TM32 inlet is 5/16" so you have to put a reducer "somewhere" in the line & to my eyes it always looks "klutzed up". I used two different types yesterday (with the filter linked below) & it STILL looks "klutzed up". Somehow the reducer must go.

https://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/ISM_8419_01.html

So next time I'm going to figure out a way to get good seal on the 1/4" outlet using 5/16" tubing All The Way to the inlet & use the filter linked below:

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/products/cycle-standard-emgo-fuel-filter-5-16-glass?currency=USD&variant=31146862149679&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvLbBpYr48gIVTAeICR1IFAU3EAQYBSABEgJEyvD_BwE

and see how THAT looks.

I've had good luck before using gas-proof Teflon Tape & a tiny clamp squeezed up just right for stuff like this so we shall see. I know now I should have gone that way yesterday. I never really wanted to change the inlet on the carb anyway. It's an unknown to me.

I shall sign off now because just typing this has put my whole right arm, hand & fingers totally numb.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 03:53:25 pm
I'm on a borrowed computer at the moment, but I shall check for 1/4 bsp female hose tails with 5/16" or 8mm hose stubs, I'm pretty certain they're still a thing in the UK.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 06:35:23 pm
I'm on a borrowed computer at the moment, but I shall check for 1/4 bsp female hose tails with 5/16" or 8mm hose stubs, I'm pretty certain they're still a thing in the UK.

A.

"Hose tails?  :) :)   I like it.

I've pretty much decided that when this comes around again on the gittar, I'm going with all 5/16". I know I can figure a way to leakproof the 5/16" onto the 1/4" petcock. Gasproof Teflon tape will do it. I'd rather have the same tubing all the way.

Why I went through that exercise yesterday I'll never know  ??? ???

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 07:15:16 pm
Lo and behold, they ARE for real! Just in case the gas-proof teflon tape doesn't work out...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224180834957?hash=item343238128d:g:A4QAAOSwIulfeeVs

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 12:58:47 am
Lo and behold, they ARE for real! Just in case the gas-proof teflon tape doesn't work out...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224180834957?hash=item343238128d:g:A4QAAOSwIulfeeVs

A.

I've had a homeowner nightmare yesterday & the day before to deal with. A leak in the main water into the house. One of the fittings that the man who built my house installed beFORE 1974, finally decided to develop an age/stress leak after all these years. It was not much, but HAD to be dealt with. It was enough overnight to make me step onto water when I went down the stairs to my ground level Monday morning.

Had the water shut off at the street. Then it was take it all apart, unsweat & unscrew the bad stuff, research the best stuff, go GET all the good new stuff & get home. Plan & visualize more overnight Monday & then yesterday, did the whole job by 3PM (I work slow & careful now) & then it was too late to get the water turned back on. So I envisioned a micro leak (or something worse) all night. Water Co. came at 8:30 this morning, turned the water back on & it was Perfect. I never have been so relieved in my whole life because this kind of thing can be VERY! expensive if it gets real serious. It now should last way longer than the 50 years of the original one; it's ALL brass now. And copper.   

I've done a lot of various kinds of plumbing in my 83 years & this job worried me the most.

Now back on topic. Can you find me a 90 degree one of these? I will gladly pay you a princely sum & you can finally buy that pale yellow 356 Bathtub you've lusted after since you were knee-high to a grasshopper. Or is it a DB3? Austin Healey 3000? 

Anyway. I want 5/16" all the way (petcock to fuel filter to carb fuel inlet) with no bodges.

PS: I LOVE soldering copper.

PPS: I know these fittings were installed beFORE 1974 because 1974 was engraved into the wet concrete of the 2nd pour which was the garage level pour & is 6" below that 1st pour.. The 1st pour is where all the water & electricity originate from for the whole house & ground floor apartment & garage. The water heater (which I also installed new in 2010) is also in that small room which I call "The Boiler Room". The house is very well thought out. 32 years. Like the blink of an eye. Lordy - errant in  :) ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:18:03 am by tooseevee »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 03:39:57 pm
Now back on topic. Can you find me a 90 degree one of these?

NOW you're asking!  ;D

I can get you one from China, though they don't post to the USA according to their small-print, it would have to come to me and then be posted on. Could take a while...  ::)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124390710857?var=425265504798

Also, this is a one-piece item, so you might have to play around with fibre/hydraulic washer thickness to got the barbs pointing in the right direction when you screw it up tight.

However, I have a dim recollection of a -4 90° BSP swivel fitting with the correct female thread lurking in the hose fittings box, the barbs on the hose end flare out quite a way as I remember. If I can dig it out, I'll measure it up to see if it might sit tight enough in a piece of M8 hose and get back to you.

Failing that it's  er... Wade through all the fittings catalogs over here - sorry about that - and see what all those years of being good Europeans have left us by way of ¼" BSP to M8 adaptors.  I'm on it!

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 04:10:08 pm
NOW you're asking!  ;D

I can get you one from China, though they don't post to the USA according to their small-print, it would have to come to me and then be posted on. Could take a while...  ::)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124390710857?var=425265504798

Also, this is a one-piece item, so you might have to play around with fibre/hydraulic washer thickness to got the barbs pointing in the right direction when you screw it up tight.

There is no 5/16" barb listed for that one you linked to above or I would just order it myself & see wha hoopens. If I end up wrapping it with GasProof Teflon Tape, that's OK. It works perfectly well. But of course, if you find one in your goodies stash, I'd happily take it  :)[/img]

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 04:29:04 pm
Just a thought - Electrical shrink-tube may work as well to gain some "tail" O.D.; more uniform, fewer seams to wick. Drop a test piece of your shrink tube in gas overnight to verify it doesn't dissolve, of course, but it's pretty tough on the whole.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 05:38:05 pm
Just a thought - Electrical shrink-tube may work as well to gain some "tail" O.D.; more uniform, fewer seams to wick. Drop a test piece of your shrink tube in gas overnight to verify it doesn't dissolve, of course, but it's pretty tough on the whole.

Ya know?, that's a grrrate idea. I'm glad you younger guys are out there helping us senior denizens when our synapses don't fire as well or as rapidly as they usta  :) :)

Thank you. 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 07:19:32 pm
            There is no 5/16" barb listed for that one you linked to above or I would just order it myself & see wha hoopens. If I end up wrapping it with GasProof Teflon Tape, that's OK. It works perfectly well. But of course, if you find one in your goodies stash, I'd happily take it  :)[/img]

Check the drop-down menu options, 8mm (5/16") is listed, but like I said, they claim not to ship to the USA.

Had a look in my collection of fittings and sadly the memory was playing tricks, it's a straight adaptor, but the 90° type IS still available, and if the hose barb is still the same as mine a piece of 8mm (5/16") hose will sit tightly enough on it with a good hose clip, the outer flare bit of the barb is about 8.7mm outside diameter.

Demon Tweaks in the UK still list the 90° piece which I thought I had!

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/automotive-plumbing-solutions-steel-female-socketless-hose-fitting-264131/

Again, check the drop-down menu boxes for the right size and don't worry about the green color in the photo, they're cadmium plated.

Next up, this is what I still have.

Now a one-piece option would satisfy your desire to avoid a bodge solution, but of my available fittings the lower one, the F/F elbow and M/barb fitting is the neatest I can manage from stock. The brass barb is actually 10mm, but I can get an 8mm (5/16") one for you easily enough.  :)

Any help???

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 11:43:30 am
Check the drop-down menu options, 8mm (5/16") is listed, but like I said, they claim not to ship to the USA.
A.

So the 1/2" - 8mm is the one I want to order?

I'm going to order it now. I'll answer separately on the one you have.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 11:54:03 am

Demon Tweaks in the UK still list the 90° piece which I thought I had!

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/automotive-plumbing-solutions-steel-female-socketless-hose-fitting-264131/

Next up, this is what I still have.

Now a one-piece option would satisfy your desire to avoid a bodge solution, but of my available fittings the lower one, the F/F elbow and M/barb fitting is the neatest I can manage from stock. The brass barb is actually 10mm, but I can get an 8mm (5/16") one for you easily enough.  :)

Any help???

A.

I would rather have the LOWER one in your picture than the DemonTweaks one. I don't want the outlet to be any lower than it is & yours looks exactly the same as my existing one.

I'm sure that I can warm the 5/16" tubing & push it onto your 10mm barb fitting so don't bother to get an 8mm unless you insist. Yes, I would like to accept your offer & we'll work out how I reimburse you privately.

How'z that sound?  :)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 12:15:43 pm
            So the 1/2" - 8mm is the one I want to order?

I'm going to order it now. I'll answer separately on the one you have.

What an idiot! I CAN'T order it. They won't ship it to me. I Knew that.

(I need to be watched)  :) :)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 10:27:18 pm
OK, I have just ordered one of the one-piece thingies for you, might take a while to get it to you in two steps, but i like the idea of neatness too. ;D

Ref the two-piece solution, that will be heading your way soon for you to experiment with, but I WILL sort of an 8mm barb hose fitting, no point in fighting the hose to get it on. However I'll throw in the 10mm as well if you want the hose to fit more tightly!

Remember to PM me your address sometime next week.

A.