Author Topic: Police fine 3000 RE owners  (Read 7626 times)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 07:48:07 pm
To say that a motorist hears a motorcycle with a noisy exhaust coming behind him and that this avoids accidents is a myth created by HD owners. (No study proves that). The only time a motorist actually hears a loud motorcycle exhaust is after passing the automobile.

Moreover, paramedics and police have the same problem because motorists (unless they are stationary) hear very little the sound of the siren because the movement of the air carries the sound towards the rear of the vehicle. (that there have been studies on).

So your loud muffler that already pushes the sound backwards pushes it even harder when the motorcycle is in motion ....!
I don't think that myth can be attributed solely to HD rider's but other than that I've got no argument.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 07:57:45 pm
Maybe there is no study to prove that load pipes save lives.

What I know is the effect of a nearly noiseless group of  Racing bikes which come from behind and pass you with high speed. And you dont see (hear) it comming until they are ahead of you. Without warning.

Even more dangerous if you drive in a group.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:04:28 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 10:56:34 pm
Maybe there is no study to prove that load pipes save lives.

What I know is the effect of a nearly noiseless group of  Racing bikes which come from behind and pass you with high speed. And you dont see (hear) it comming until they are ahead of you. Without warning.

Even more dangerous if you drive in a group.

Very true, I've been caught unaware several times by sport bike hot shoes that snuck up on me. Some of then had aftermarket pipes some didn't but none of them made their presence known until they were right alongside of me. 

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 11:10:56 pm
I remember many years ago in my former communist country bikes were a prized treasure, few and far between AND a car replacement. There was never any checkup for sound, we were al passing the MOT equivalent with all kinds of home made open pipes... Things have changed and now you might not pass with any aftermarket. Soon probably you WILL NOT pass with anything other than bone stock. Probably India is moving the same way. The longbottle might soon be a rebel's relic and an expensive proposition. Also, as a motorcyclist, I am pretty used to being harassed by police, is what they do. Pretty much like dogs chasing motorcycles, conditioned by some of our young fellow riders which go to 12000 rpm at midnight with baffles out.

Liberty Blacksmith

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 04:37:27 pm

The link to state laws cites a Wyoming state statute but I can vouch it absolutely is not enforced. Vehicles with defective mufflers are never stopped and the county deputy sheriffs have told me no such law exists.
There's a difference between obnoxiously loud pipes, ie HD riders, and motorcycles which are too quiet. My BMW was in the latter category so I never tarried in passing someone. The pipes I just put on the Interceptor are fine with the baffles in place.
Looks like the pigs in India are running hog wild....

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 10:14:26 pm

The link to state laws cites a Wyoming state statute but I can vouch it absolutely is not enforced. Vehicles with defective mufflers are never stopped and the county deputy sheriffs have told me no such law exists.
There's a difference between obnoxiously loud pipes, ie HD riders, and motorcycles which are too quiet. My BMW was in the latter category so I never tarried in passing someone. The pipes I just put on the Interceptor are fine with the baffles in place.
Looks like the pigs in India are running hog wild....

My observation from the Alice's Restaurant area on an early Sunday morning is that Japanese "tuner" and expensive sports cars are now making more noise than the H-D crowd. Even they wince when those cars go by.  :o

Needless to say, neither the CHP nor the county sheriff seem to want to enforce California's draconian car muffler laws. Just one more law of many which are passed by the legislature that many people don't pay any attention to.   ::)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:17:00 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 09:26:45 pm
Needless to say, neither the CHP nor the county sheriff seem to want to enforce California's draconian car muffler laws. Just one more law of many which are passed by the legislature that many people don't pay any attention to.   ::)
You might be interested in this article that includes a response from a CHP officer as to why they don't enforce the noise laws:

https://patch.com/california/berkeley/ask-a-cop-why-deafeningly-loud-motorcycles-not-cited

Meanwhile, here in Chicago, we've seen increasingly large and increasingly unruly groups of motorcyclists, which has definitely gotten the attention of the locals who witness the events.  I'm talking hundreds of bikes, riding en-masse in street traffic without license plates.  Check out the video starting at about 1:38 to get an idea of what this looks like:
https://news.wttw.com/2021/08/02/chicago-residents-fed-noisy-caravans-motorcycles

I've seen multiple wheelie riders side by side, on a busy Chicago street, with pedestrians (myself included) and al fresco diners just 15 feet from the line of travel.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 10:16:31 pm
You might be interested in this article that includes a response from a CHP officer as to why they don't enforce the noise laws:

https://patch.com/california/berkeley/ask-a-cop-why-deafeningly-loud-motorcycles-not-cited

Meanwhile, here in Chicago, we've seen increasingly large and increasingly unruly groups of motorcyclists, which has definitely gotten the attention of the locals who witness the events.  I'm talking hundreds of bikes, riding en-masse in street traffic without license plates.  Check out the video starting at about 1:38 to get an idea of what this looks like:
https://news.wttw.com/2021/08/02/chicago-residents-fed-noisy-caravans-motorcycles

I've seen multiple wheelie riders side by side, on a busy Chicago street, with pedestrians (myself included) and al fresco diners just 15 feet from the line of travel.

Well it is true that a "fix-it" ticket doesn't generate any revenue for the People's Republic of Kalifornia, whereas a speeding ticket brings in big bucks - starting at around $500 and going up from there.

Those crazy riders, mostly on unregistered dirt bikes and quads have been doing the same thing around here for the past several years.  >:(

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2021, 01:04:38 am

So your loud muffler that already pushes the sound backwards pushes it even harder when the motorcycle is in motion ....!

So we should all retro fit forward facing mufflers for safety ? 

I suppose one solution would be to fit our Enfields with the ubiquitous PT6 which, being a multistage axial compressor reverse flow design, would do the job nicely while providing a nice power boost of up to 1900 or so Shaft HP depending on the exact variant fitted.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #24 on: September 30, 2021, 07:33:03 pm
Looks like the 150 Kg, 550 HP PT6A-21 might be just the ticket, but the stock Bullet 4 gallon fuel tank seem unlikely to last more than 4 - 8 minutes. :(  The frame & swing arm may need strengthening as well. Not sure how the spoked wheels would hold up, but a set of 4.00 x 19 Duro HF308s would likely survive the additional weight, at least until you blipped the throttle. :o 8) A test pilot may be tough to find. In the words of my old shop foreman when faced with questionable requests from Management - "Well, now we needs us a stoopid guy".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_Canada_PT6
" The Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 is a turboprop aircraft engine produced by Pratt & Whitney Canada. Its design was started in 1958, it first ran in February 1960, first flew on 30 May 1961, entered service in 1964 and has been continuously updated since. It consists of two basic sections: a gas generator with accessory gearbox and a free power turbine with reduction gearbox, and is often seemingly mounted backwards in an aircraft in so far as the intake is at the rear and the exhaust at the front. Many variants of the PT6 have been produced, not only as turboprops but also as turboshaft engines for helicopters, land vehicles, hovercraft, and boats; as auxiliary power units; and for industrial uses. By November 2015, 51,000 had been produced, had logged 400 million flight hours from 1963 to 2016. It is known for its reliability with an in-flight shutdown rate of 1 per 651,126 hours in 2016. The PT6A covers the power range between 580 and 1,940 shp (430 and 1,450 kW) while the PT6B/C are turboshaft variants for helicopters. "
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 02:08:36 pm
The older I get the quieter I like my motorcycles....to a point. I like a nice exhaust note and to be able to hear what the motors is doing. Where I live noise levels are not enforced on anything, cars trucks or motorcycles. When I bought my most recent Harley it was whisper quiet and not at all what I wanted sound wise so I got some Vance and Hines slip on mufflers that turned out to be ear splitting, fortunately they offered 3 different baffle options and for me and their quiet baffle turned out to be just right, a nice low rumble at idle and not loud at all unless you go hard on the throttle but still nothing like the straight pipes a lot of guys run. Same for my Enfield's new exhaust, H's offered a quiet baffle for what otherwise amounts to a competition muffler that quiets it down to a nice acceptable exhaust note, not obnoxiously loud but not silent either. A big part of motorcycles for me is being out in the wind, feeling the bike under me and hearing the engine, it's an experience like no other.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 12:16:48 pm
I just got back from a ride to east TX and AR.  Because of the weather I took the southern route riding there and back. I took I5 all the way through Cal. Then took I-10 and some I-210 all the way across southern Cal.  I have to tell you loud pipes really help when you are lane splitting. People hear you coming up from behind and they move over to let you through. So yes in this case loud pipes do saves lives.

I have never been pulled over for loud pipes in 50 years of street riding. Besides my Himmy all my REs have louder pipes then any of my Harleys. Before you ask, no I don’t run strait pipes or abnocheous loud pipes ether. I do however like to hear the motor. Also I see/hear more Honda, Kawa, Suzuki, and Yamaha Harley clones with abnocheous loud pipes then I do HDs.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 12:39:48 pm by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 02:15:45 pm
I just got back from a ride to east TX and AR.  Because of the weather I took the southern route riding there and back. I took I5 all the way through Cal. Then took I-10 and some I-210 all the way across southern Cal.  I have to tell you loud pipes really help when you are lane splitting. People hear you coming up from behind and they move over to let you through. So yes in this case loud pipes do saves lives.

I have never been pulled over for loud pipes in 50 years of street riding. Besides my Himmy all my REs have louder pipes then any of my Harleys. Before you ask, no I don’t run strait pipes or abnocheous loud pipes ether. I do however like to hear the motor. Also I see/hear more Honda, Kawa, Suzuki, and Yamaha Harley clones with abnocheous loud pipes then I do HDs.

Around the SF Bay Area, lately it seems as though many car owners seem to also feel that loud pipes also save lives. This year many young men driving "tuner" and semi-sports cars have been using mufflers that are really loud and have an irritating pitch that sound like a glass-pack with the glass blown out. These vehicles have supplanted Harleys as environmental noise makers. Now there are more H-D riders playing loud music on their boom boxes than rattling the neighborhood with their loud pipes. Given enough time stereotypes do change.  ;)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #28 on: November 01, 2021, 08:10:04 pm
Around the SF Bay Area, lately it seems as though many car owners seem to also feel that loud pipes also save lives. This year many young men driving "tuner" and semi-sports cars have been using mufflers that are really loud and have an irritating pitch that sound like a glass-pack with the glass blown out. These vehicles have supplanted Harleys as environmental noise makers. Now there are more H-D riders playing loud music on their boom boxes than rattling the neighborhood with their loud pipes. Given enough time stereotypes do change.  ;)

One thing I´ve noticed with Swedish HD riders, they have the urgent need to do everyhing better you do. So if your RE pops a little bit a HD guy will  come allong and pop little more.  ;D

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #29 on: November 03, 2021, 06:02:46 pm
It appears that the boys in khaki in Hyderabad have taken this to the next level.

https://www.cartoq.com/hyderabad-police-destroy-royal-enfield-bullet-aftermarket-exhausts/

The article states that "two-wheelers can permit a max sound of 80 decibels", but doesn't state the distance at which the measurement is taken.  Because sound level follows the inverse square law, intensity drops off rapidly with distance.

Current US noise standards are also in the 80s, specifically, 84 dB when measured at 50 feet in the USA.  This translates to about 115 dB in the saddle, which is a level that can do hearing damage in a matter of minutes, and considerably more at the tailpipe.

When the original reports of fines in India came out, I recall seeing photos of a policeman holding a dB meter within an inch or so of a tail pipe, which is going to result in a very high measurement.