Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1853366 times)

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #7890 on: April 29, 2020, 01:31:36 pm
Rebuilt a friends carbi, rode in a thunderstorm.

My 25 year old Dri-Drider one piece suit only leaked a drop or two in the crotch. The Royal Enfield panniers didn’t leak at all. It was an hour and 40 minute commute home on the C5.
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7891 on: June 05, 2020, 06:30:29 am
I replaced the battery in my 2011 G5 Deluxe today.
Over the last couple of months, the one I had in it was getting to the point where it wouldn't hold a charge so I dug out my records to see how long it had been installed.
Would you believe I installed it 7 years ago?  Yup. 2013 was when I bought it.

I figured if it lasted that long it might be a good idea to get another one just like it, even if it does have a rather odd name.  It's a "Big Crank" AGM battery and I got it from Battery Mart so I looked them up on the web and sure enough, they still carry them.  The price is a bit high at $89 but I figured it might be a good idea to get a battery that can last for 7 years at a high price instead of buying something for $49 and having it die in a year.

Anyway, the "Big Crank" battery that fits my G5 (the American name for a Electra) is a ETX-15.
Looking at the side of it where you can see both terminals, the positive (+) is on the left and the negative (-) is on the right.
I think a lot of the more common RE 500 UCE's like the C5 have the polls reversed with the (-) on the left and the (+) on the right.  If your wanting to buy one of these batteries and you need the polarity of the terminals with the (+) on the right the number for the battery is ETX-15L.

I ordered the battery on Monday at about 10:00 AM Phoenix time and it arrived at my house at at about 10 AM on Wednesday.  That's pretty fast for something that was shipped from Winchester, Virginia.

Remembering that brand new batteries usually need a couple of hours on a low amprage charger I tested the voltage as it was received.  It was right at 12.8 volts.  No charge needed with this one. :)

Anyway, here's hoping this Big Crank lasts as long as the last one did. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7892 on: June 05, 2020, 08:34:11 pm
MOT day.

It ran out in January, and I've been cycling a lot more (pre-pandeminc) anyway so though I'd wait until it got warmer. Well, then it all went belly up around the world so that put paid to that.

But I take a couple of days of work to mooch about and do nothing (and wonder why I did) and decide to book the MOT. Failed on front brake binding. Damn, I could have spent one of the days off fixing it prior to booking it. I knew the culprit was that bottom piston again.

Am I the only one suffering from this or is it common? I know it can happen on all bikes, just wondered if it's common for the lower piston on Bullets (leading fork) models. I appreciate it is closer to the ground lol. I don't recall seeing much on the forum about it.

Anyway, cleaned it up, got it passed before closing time. Will be keeping a closer eye on this in the future.

And got offered £1500 trade in from the dealer for a 2012 machine with nearly 16000 on the clock. Probably not bad but I think I'll be keeping it once I reminded myelf all the reasons I bought it in the first place :)

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #7893 on: June 11, 2020, 08:38:33 pm
I raised the idle speed ever so slightly on my C5. I had lowered it years ago for a slow tick-over, but it was apparently too low for consistent kick starting. Just a very sight counter-clockwise turn of the mystical brass screw atop the throttle body did the trick.  Starts first kick every time now.  Hot, cold... No worries. Happy days.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7894 on: June 12, 2020, 06:08:53 pm
I test rode my 2015 LE Dispatch after having dropped the engine out and split the cases to investigate the source(s) of increased vibration and engine noise. I originally thought it was the big-end bearing but that was actually ok. I replaced the timing side main bearing and the sleeve gear ball bearing plus all the small gearbox needle roller bearings, the piston and rings, the exhaust valve (with a better one-piece valve from Hitchcock’s) the hydraulic lifters and the necessary gaskets and seals. Some of this wasn’t absolutely necessary but I don’t plan on doing this again any time soon so if there was any doubt I replaced it. Having done the job I would say that the tapping noise was the sleeve gear ball bearing, that had a very pronounced rough spot. The valve/piston replacement has resulted in much better compression and proper adjustment of the cam backlash has been made (the inlet cam was definitely too loose).
I had at the same mileage replaced the fork oil but the UK lockdown has prevented my testing the effect until today - but is also the reason I had time to tear down the motor.
I am delighted to say that, albeit at running speeds dictated by the new piston and rings, the engine is much smoother and quieter than before and the ride quality of the forks remains as it was before, excellent for my weight, but I now have the comfort of knowing that it has decent oil in the forks. All in all a satisfying experience that has increased my knowledge of this motor, which is actually pretty robust and largely unworn apart from the dodgy bearing(s) and worn rings. The piston was reusable but what the hell...
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7895 on: June 12, 2020, 09:09:37 pm
Hi RB

Do you have any shelves earmarked for any offerings to the Gods of Speed?

:D

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7896 on: June 12, 2020, 10:32:47 pm
Er, no.....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7897 on: June 13, 2020, 03:44:47 am
It's cold, wet and 'orrible here today, so being a dedicated motorcyclist, I wandered out, made sure her cover was secure, gave her a pat on the saddle and came back inside to watch youtube videos.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #7898 on: June 13, 2020, 10:16:26 am
Installed a new USB charger. I usually leave my phone in one of the panniers so fitted the charger into the top of the LH toolbox.

To allow room for the waterproof cap to snap on & off, I spaced the toolbox out 3mm from the frame.

2021 Classic 500

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7899 on: June 13, 2020, 08:38:54 pm
Nice work Relic.

I could have gone out today, chose to wash it instead and went out on the bicycle.

JezzC

• Scooter
Reply #7900 on: June 17, 2020, 02:15:11 pm
I fitted a Hitchcocks goldstar silencer on my 2016 c5 a while back and had been umming and erring on whether to also get a power commander or other fuel controller. In the end I ordered an EJK, it still wasn't cheap, especially with the hefty customs vat charge to the UK from USA. Fitted this morning and runs happily on the pre set programme, I also fitted a k&n air filter. I am not disappointed at all, the bike definitely feels more responsive through the gears and rides more briskly. Money well spent :)

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #7901 on: June 22, 2020, 08:05:19 am
Had to replace the tail light bulb for the second time in 2 weeks.
The original dual filament bulb lasted 24,000 km's (~15,000 miles) & nearly 4 years which I consider excellent service.
The second lasted only 200kms.
I'm hoping the replacement bulb is the issue, nothing else!
2021 Classic 500

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #7902 on: June 22, 2020, 10:16:18 am
Had to replace the tail light bulb for the second time in 2 weeks.
The original dual filament bulb lasted 24,000 km's (~15,000 miles) & nearly 4 years which I consider excellent service.
The second lasted only 200kms.
I'm hoping the replacement bulb is the issue, nothing else!

Spray a bit of contact cleaner on the bulb fitting. It won't hurt.
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #7903 on: June 22, 2020, 10:44:05 am
Thanks for the suggestion, will go through all the lamp contacts this weekend.
2021 Classic 500

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #7904 on: June 27, 2020, 06:23:26 am
Spent an enjoyable wet Saturday morning in the workshop.
Changed the brake fluid (nice firm brake lever as a result  :) ) and then disassembled all light fittings and the starter switch to apply cleaner to the contacts. Disappointed to find a couple of screw fittings had broken away in the front indicator housings and on a couple of lamps the plastic chrome reflectors were starting to flake.
I placed an order for two new indicators from India - don't think I'll see them this side of August given the lack of international flights into NZ.
2021 Classic 500