Author Topic: IT'S ALIVE!!! Carb install a success!  (Read 4522 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: July 23, 2020, 09:35:35 pm
So for no real reason except to see if I could, I bought the Hitchcock's EFI to Carb (Amal) conversion. Yes, it is fiddly. A shame I had to replace the cables that I just replaced but the EFI cables don't fit the carb. So, no more idiot lights, no more fuel pump, an actual reserve, the air cleaner box is now storage. So is the battery box but that's another story ;)

The only advice I can give that I should have known better, don't start with a full tank of gas ::)

The only weird part is pulling the injector, plugging it back in and zip tying it out of the way. Probably has something to do with the ignition.

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:57:34 am
Well done  :)
Here's wishing you many happy miles on your bike.
2021 Classic 500

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 10:43:04 am
Cool!  I always thought EFI a bit out of place on the Bullet

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 10:56:02 am
Someone else recently did the same installation here in the UK, as I did years ago. They had a strange running problem as if insufficient fuel was getting through ( not uncommon with the crappy fuel tap supplied in the kit). It wasn’t that though, it was a loose connector to the injector. I imagine this still needs to “fire” and if it doesn’t the engine won’t run. In trying to find a fault for someone else I established that running the engine without the engine temperature sensor connected appears to make no difference. Maybe it’s just easier to leave it connected? I find also that the throttle is not as quick-acting as the EFI, taking an extra twist to get it wide open. Arguably though the increased range could produce finer control?
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 11:48:18 am
H's current crop of carb kits (too much alliteration, sorry) rely on using the existing ECU which presumably has to be fooled into thinking "it's business as usual, let's go".

Their earlier kits replaced the EFI set-up more comprehensively. The ECU was out, so was the alternator rotor, replaced by alternator rotor from the Electra-X. In place of the ECU the plain TCI box of the Electra-X was used.

Simple. However, all this added to the cost of the kit, once they'd worked out a way to get the ECU to play ball they could keep more of the bike's original kit, so the price comes down. It would also make it easier to refit the EFI it necessary.

It's worth noting that many home market Indian UCE Bullets continued with carburetors and TCI ignition until quite recently, with 33mm CV carbs on the 500s.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 10:25:02 pm
The ECU doesn't really get fooled; if you don't disconnect the connection to the bulb light the MIL is permanently lit because all the fuel injection sensors are disconnected. I did once reinstall the EFI and found that the MIL didn't light; the English ne just ran as before, with the same stuttering and slow ( as in glacial ) warm up. So I put the carb back on. I'm keeping the EFI stuff because I can foresee issues with it passing the annual MOT as emissions regs get ever tighter, plus it would probably be harder to trade in against another bike with a carb conversion. Like any other job, when you've done it once it gets easier and faster. At least now splitting the cases and reassembling it all with new bearings etc holds no fears for me any more.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 03:07:08 am
The ECU doesn't really get fooled; if you don't disconnect the connection to the bulb light the MIL is permanently lit because all the fuel injection sensors are disconnected. I did once reinstall the EFI and found that the MIL didn't light; the English ne just ran as before, with the same stuttering and slow ( as in glacial ) warm up. So I put the carb back on. I'm keeping the EFI stuff because I can foresee issues with it passing the annual MOT as emissions regs get ever tighter, plus it would probably be harder to trade in against another bike with a carb conversion. Like any other job, when you've done it once it gets easier and faster. At least now splitting the cases and reassembling it all with new bearings etc holds no fears for me any more.
We don't suffer from MOT. I also tossed the MIL/Low Fuel idiot lights and put in a proper RE Ammeter.

737ngJock

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 11:43:43 am
Excellent, I have a 2016 C5 and I’m at decision point. PC5 or carb? I have a straight through exhaust and cone filter fitted. The cost is the same five or take a few quid. Any advice would be great.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 08:31:05 pm
A new chain wouldn't go amiss.  I can see what looks like stiff links on the top run in your picture.?
Off route, recalculate?

737ngJock

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 09:16:13 pm
So there is! On it now. Thanks a lot neighbour. I’m in Currie

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 12:03:02 pm
I am in Hawick.
I have a pcv on the bike at the moment.
I previously had an amal carb on, and very nice it was too,  but you get a little bit more from the engine with a pcv.
If anything should fail with the injection system I will put the carb back on.
Off route, recalculate?

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 02:31:03 am
I rode it down to a shop where they will give me an estimate on welding the broken frame. On the way there, my first real ride since the carb install, it idles sweetly, accelerates smoothly and runs crappy at higher revs. Once I get it back from the shop I am willing to take any suggestions. Especially from anyone who has done the EFI to Amal swap.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 07:44:17 am
The fuel tap that came with my conversion was rubbish.  The rubber washer inside was restricting the petrol flow to barely a dribble. Enough for tickover and up to about a quarter throttle. A new ,expensive,  push/pull tap with a reserve sorted it.
Off route, recalculate?

737ngJock

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:45 am
I am in Hawick.
I have a pcv on the bike at the moment.
I previously had an amal carb on, and very nice it was too,  but you get a little bit more from the engine with a pcv.
If anything should fail with the injection system I will put the carb back on.

Brilliant, I’d thought about the Mikuni kit but I’ll try the PCV. Thanks again for the advice

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 07:54:47 pm
OK, I have a 500 efi getting 90 odd mpg (UK mpg) so what would be the advantage of replacing the injector with a carb? Especially when you seem to have to leave the injector connected to the system.
I can understand getting rid of the low fuel display etc and replacing with an ammeter, but with the efi why fix it if it ain't broke?
I have ridden bikes since the sixties with both carbs and fuel injection, I even thought about replacing the Amal concentric  on my 1963 Triumph speed twin with a Wal Philips fuel injector, until I took a close look at the injector that is! I have to admit I prefer fuel injection (HERESY!) but at my age I even prefer the electric starter, mind you that's what emphysema and COPD will do to you.
I love the ride, appearance, sound and sheer fun of riding the Bullet, I don't need the 160 mph performance and appalling fuel economy of a crotch rocket any more, my back wouldn't stand much more bum up nose down riding, so I'm officially an old fogey and proud of it. Seriously though, I would love to know what the advantages of replacing the fuel injector with a less efficient carburettor are, is the whole process worth the effort? Or is it simply to make the Bullet more 1950s?
If all about you are panicking then you've missed something important