Author Topic: Meteor tripper wanted  (Read 650 times)

Oscar

• Scooter
  • Devon, UK
on: March 17, 2023, 04:49:15 pm
Hi has anybody taken their "Tripper Navigation" off their Meteor and want to exchange it for beer tokens? Wasn't fitted to mine from new but annoyingly I see they are fitting them again now. Asked my dealer to retro-fit at RE's expense but he reckons they aren't too interested in supplying FOC but will sell me one at £185 bit of a liberty I thought.
Thanks Chris

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 07:24:08 pm
Hi has anybody taken their "Tripper Navigation" off their Meteor and want to exchange it for beer tokens? Wasn't fitted to mine from new but annoyingly I see they are fitting them again now. Asked my dealer to retro-fit at RE's expense but he reckons they aren't too interested in supplying FOC but will sell me one at £185 bit of a liberty I thought.
Thanks Chris

Considering that you paid the full normal price for your bike, sans the Tripper, just like I would have paid the full price for a top 'o the line Supernova Meteor WITHOUT the windscreen, because it didn't comply with DOT legalities here at the time, RE should be replacing these parts FOC to those that were denied them. You didn't get all that you paid for!

Because of that DOT regulation omission by RE, I went with the less expensive Stellar model, which has no windscreen as standard and bought one from Hitchcock's instead.

I wonder if the windscreen ban in North America is still in effect on 2023 Supernova Meteors?
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 08:23:04 pm
Considering that you paid the full normal price for your bike, sans the Tripper, just like I would have paid the full price for a top 'o the line Supernova Meteor WITHOUT the windscreen, because it didn't comply with DOT legalities here at the time, RE should be replacing these parts FOC to those that were denied them. You didn't get all that you paid for!

Because of that DOT regulation omission by RE, I went with the less expensive Stellar model, which has no windscreen as standard and bought one from Hitchcock's instead.

I wonder if the windscreen ban in North America is still in effect on 2023 Supernova Meteors?

Dexter, why is the screen banned in North America?
EU and UK standards of conformity regs are pretty strict.
If it's a safety issue then it would fail here too I would have thought.
Just curious ???
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 09:23:09 pm
Dexter, why is the screen banned in North America?
EU and UK standards of conformity regs are pretty strict.
If it's a safety issue then it would fail here too I would have thought.
Just curious ???

Hi Ivy,

The best answer I could get was that it was a result of RE not doing the paperwork, or paying the USA Department of Transport the required fees in time to have the windscreen DOT approved for use. Until that hoop was jumped through by RE, the screens had to come off. Since Canada gets its supply from the US importer,  >:(  our Supernovas were also affected.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with them. I've had mine on for over a year and it was once well blasted by a steady and horrific headwind on the highway at top speed. That was brutal on ME in just 15 minutes, even with the screen.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 06:45:53 am
Thanks Dexter, nothing but an admin oversight. I thought that only happened here. :-[
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Bill Bailey

• Scooter
  • Old git been riding since 1963.
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 03:26:04 pm
Chris,

I have a Tripper (less than six months old and in good working order) but I'm still using the mounting bracket so it just comes as the meter unit. Apart from that you should have the correct wiring/connector hidden in your headlight so you would just need a suitable bracket to mount it on.
Let me know if you are still interested.

Bill
Honda Benly 125
Triumph Tiger 90
Yamaha YDS3
MZ 250
Honda CX500 (over 90K miles on that one)
Suzuki Inazuma
Suzuki VL800
Honda NC750X DCT
Honda CB250
Triumph Speed Twin
RE Bullet 350 Airflow
RE Bullet 500 Trials
BMW G300R
Yamaha xv535
Triumph Street Twin
RE Meteor 350