Author Topic: 1st service.  (Read 6383 times)

Bill Bailey

• Scooter
  • Old git been riding since 1963.
Reply #60 on: February 04, 2023, 08:38:46 am
All this sounds to me like the only way you are going to need your warranty is if you let a very expensive RE "dodgy dealer" get his hands on your bike!
My first service is due and I'll take the chance and either do it myself; or get my very trustworthy independent workshop mechanic, who has reliably serviced and repaired many of my bikes in the past, to do it properly.
Honda Benly 125
Triumph Tiger 90
Yamaha YDS3
MZ 250
Honda CX500 (over 90K miles on that one)
Suzuki Inazuma
Suzuki VL800
Honda NC750X DCT
Honda CB250
Triumph Speed Twin
RE Bullet 350 Airflow
RE Bullet 500 Trials
BMW G300R
Yamaha xv535
Triumph Street Twin
RE Meteor 350

ButteMT

• Grease Monkey
Reply #61 on: February 04, 2023, 05:14:01 pm
That's total bullsh*t.  If this is the way RE is going to handle customers, they're in for a backlash here in the States...
I reckon at least 25% or more people do their own servicing, so I imagine we'll see more posts like this.

Ride Safe 🙏🏼

ButteMT

• Grease Monkey
Reply #62 on: February 04, 2023, 05:16:20 pm
All this sounds to me like the only way you are going to need your warranty is if you let a very expensive RE "dodgy dealer" get his hands on your bike!
My first service is due and I'll take the chance and either do it myself; or get my very trustworthy independent workshop mechanic, who has reliably serviced and repaired many of my bikes in the past, to do it properly.

Yeah, I found a good local shop to do mine, but it shouldn't matter.  If a shop services your bike all they have to do is say they did it.  If you do your own, you have to prove it - however that's supposed to be done?  Are we supposed to film our servicing to uphold the warranty?

Not happy reading this today...

Ride Safe 🙏🏼

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #63 on: February 04, 2023, 06:34:16 pm
Just hope no one else ends in this position. Copied from ADVrider.

"Whelp, finally got the official word today. According to Royal Enfield USA, I apparently can't sufficiently prove that I put in the correct amount of oil in the engine after my 500km service, and because there is no sign of consumption or oil leaks, they do not consider the blown engine to be a warrantable defect. They are willing to offer a "goodwill" of covering the labor to replace the engine, but that means I will still be looking at $3,500 for a new engine, about half of what I paid for this bike out the door.

I'm pretty frustrated with this as I have receipts of what I bought, and I'm sorry but it's not hard to pour in almost 2 liters of oil into an engine, and this decision and lack of support has really soured me on the company of royal enfield. I get that they have to protect their bottom line, but to deny a warranty because I can't prove that I "properly" filed the engine with almost 2 liters of the 3 I bought is absolutely bullshit.

Sorry for the rant. I said I'd update you all when I had more to update, I really wish it was better news."

Here's my takeaway on this. A large and extensive network of dealers is the only way a manufacturer can get its product out into the hands of people wanting to buy them, but those dealers do not make sufficient profits to survive from just selling bikes. In order for them to survive, they need to sell parts and, more importantly, service to the machines, as that's where the real money lies.

So how does the manufacturer help the dealers to keep afloat, thus insuring they can still sell more of what the manufacturer wants to move? Well, they send out a not so subtle message, as we see here, to all owners that if you value your warranty, you will bring your bike back to the dealer to maintain it, at least for 3 years, in RE's case.

I'm sure they see this as a win-win idea from their perspective, because they know damn well that the m/c community forums will be ablaze with this story, spreading it far and wide, as we see has happened here from forum to forum and it most certainly WILL discourage many an owner to heed the warning and at least carry out their servicing for 3 years at a dealership.

RE is trying to get themselves established as a new player worldwide now, not just in India anymore and they won't be able to do that without an extensive dealer network in major countries of the world. Certainly this action is a bold stand on their part, but it does serve their long term goal well.

The only recourse an owner may have is if their country has passed "right to repair" laws, that make a warranty binding on the company involved despite the fact that an owner has done the work themselves, as long as that owner can prove, with receipts for parts and a documented service record, what they did.

If such a law is in place, and the manufacturer balks at a claim, then the only recourse would be the courts, but that would have to be weighed against the costs of a lawyer, as opposed to the costs of the repair too, for both sides in the dispute.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 06:43:18 pm by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #64 on: February 05, 2023, 10:28:22 pm
Don't all manufacturers specify the warranty doesn't apply if  servicing is carried out by the owner ?
It is up to the owner how they want to play it of course.

Going Nowhere

• Scooter
Reply #65 on: February 08, 2023, 07:57:09 am
I've just had my first service (Classic 350) done. It cost a hell of a lot at £238. I know it can be for cheaper but this was my nearest dealer (25 miles away) and the weather was icy cold so I didn't fancy riding too much further. They asked me to drop the bike off the day before the service so that the engine could cool properly for the tappets to be adjusted. The bike definitely feels "better" since the service; smoother and a tad livelier. I'll be doing all the servicing myself from now on and documenting it but wanted to get the warranty off to a good start with no chance of a refusal.

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #66 on: February 08, 2023, 09:27:04 am
I've just had my first service (Classic 350) done. It cost a hell of a lot at £238. I know it can be for cheaper but this was my nearest dealer (25 miles away) and the weather was icy cold so I didn't fancy riding too much further. They asked me to drop the bike off the day before the service so that the engine could cool properly for the tappets to be adjusted. The bike definitely feels "better" since the service; smoother and a tad livelier. I'll be doing all the servicing myself from now on and documenting it but wanted to get the warranty off to a good start with no chance of a refusal.

Where are you located roughly, That £238 is 50 quid less than it cost me.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Going Nowhere

• Scooter
Reply #67 on: February 08, 2023, 06:11:30 pm
Where are you located roughly, That £238 is 50 quid less than it cost me.

I live in East Suffolk so bought mine in Norwich. Happy with the service.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #68 on: February 08, 2023, 11:04:12 pm
I have posted somewhere previously that my dealer has some equipment that cools the engine down quickly so the first service including valve clearances can be done in a couple of hours apparently.

Electra Steve

• Scooter
  • Birdwood, South Australia
Reply #69 on: February 08, 2023, 11:40:05 pm
My first service was done by the dealer I bought the bike from. They did a poor job and I had to redo it myself. The dealer is now out of business and I will be doing all my own services from now on. With my first RE, an Electra, the then importer sold me the parts and I did my own work but the new importer is not cooperative so my parts come from India.
Previous rides. Many Hondas
BMW R60/2
Norton 99
NSU Supermax
2007 RE Electra
now 2021 Stellar

Going Nowhere

• Scooter
Reply #70 on: February 10, 2023, 12:38:03 pm
You don't have to use an official dealer to have anything serviced. (In the UK). The EU Block Exemption Regulations  allow you to take your vehicle anywhere for warranty work and servicing - you can even do the work yourself although the onus will be on you to prove it has been serviced as per the manufacturer's instruction. How you do that is up to you - you may have a good relationship with your dealer, you may take photos or video, whatever. I haven't heard that these EU regulation have been rescinded since Brexit but I doubt it (although someone else may know). https://www.service4service.co.uk/news/industry/what-is-eu-block-exemption-regulation/

Border Reiver

• Scooter
  • Scotland
Reply #71 on: February 10, 2023, 07:17:37 pm
The regulations above only mention cars so motorcycles may be an issue, however, my local bike shop has a written reply from Honda saying that as long as genuine Honda approved parts and oils are used he can service their motorcycles without negating the warranty.

Andy.

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #72 on: February 10, 2023, 07:24:22 pm
............... my local bike shop has a written reply from Honda saying that as long as genuine Honda approved parts and oils are used he can service their motorcycles without negating the warranty.

Andy.

That is very interesting, thanks for posting that.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Zajeb

• Scooter
Reply #73 on: February 10, 2023, 08:08:11 pm
Thought I'd give some info on this subject.

I bought my Meteor350 with 900km (rolled out of the dealer at 28.10.2022), the first owner did the first service on 500km, and I have the detailed report from that. Says which oil they used - Castrol Power Racing 10w50.
I noticed that the oil was contaminated and had very small metallic shiny parts, its basically still in the breaking in period, so this is normal right. ( Picture 1 )
Since the next service is at 5000km What I did was, I basically changed the oil filter (with an original ofc) and same oil on my own, without dealer knowledge.
Especially now that that its winter season I didn't want that contaminated oil to sit there for 3 months.
Total cost to do DIY it is ~ 40€ ( filter is 10 and 2 liters of oil is around 30).
I did this yesterday and I just took the picture of the new oil level and I see it is just over the maximum now, so I may overdone it but its gonna sit there anyway waiting the riding season.
Meteor 350 Fireball Red

3oro

• Anteater
  • Bulleteer
Reply #74 on: February 10, 2023, 08:45:47 pm
Did those small metal pieces come out during the oil change?

Lexmoto Tempest 125
RE Classic 350