Author Topic: 1st service.  (Read 6381 times)

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #45 on: January 29, 2023, 02:25:43 pm
Is the "mmm" because you think that's suspiciously short?   I'm not familiar with the Interceptor - perhaps it's not necessary to remove the seat and then the tank, shift electrical items out of the way etc. in order to get at the valves?  Even so, does that give the engine time to cool down?
mmm .yes it means suspiciously short.Its the same procedure seat off,tank off. etc.
Freedom.

Father of Dragons

• Bulleteer
  • Cardiff, Wales
Reply #46 on: January 29, 2023, 04:18:43 pm
....and twice the number of valves to do as well  :o

It does rather seem as though many dealers are not doing the valve check/adjust.  We can but hope that with RE themselves taking over the reins from MotoGB that they will exert a firmer grip on things.....  ::)

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #47 on: January 29, 2023, 05:25:20 pm
....and twice the number of valves to do as well  :o

Actually, the 650 has FOUR times the number of valves - 8.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #48 on: January 29, 2023, 08:21:50 pm
Is the "mmm" because you think that's suspiciously short?   I'm not familiar with the Interceptor - perhaps it's not necessary to remove the seat and then the tank, shift electrical items out of the way etc. in order to get at the valves?  Even so, does that give the engine time to cool down?
They would let the engine cool down before they started checking the valve clearance wouldn't they ?
Presume they don't charge for waiting for it to cool down !

deafcrump

• Neophyte
Reply #49 on: February 02, 2023, 10:51:07 am
I get valve clearances done I am going to ask if I can sit in and watch.Shouldnt be a problem. If they say sorry due to health and safety bullshit I will take the bike elsewhere.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: February 02, 2023, 04:24:54 pm
I get valve clearances done I am going to ask if I can sit in and watch.Shouldnt be a problem. If they say sorry due to health and safety bullshit I will take the bike elsewhere.

Another member here recently had the same idea. Good luck with that!

Forgetting health and safety concerns, which will immediately squash this idea anyway, if YOU were the mechanic, would you want some guy looking over your shoulder watching you work? I can tell you the answer to that is a resounding NO, having worked in the auto trade many years ago.

If you NEED to sit in to monitor the job, then you'd best learn to do the job yourself.

Welcome to the forum.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #51 on: February 02, 2023, 06:57:03 pm
If you suspect that the dealer isn't doing the valve adjustment simply put a dab of paint or nail polish (varnish) on one of the valve cover bolts. If it is unbroken when you pick up the bike they didn't remove the cover.

Royal T

• Scooter
Reply #52 on: February 02, 2023, 08:30:42 pm
Or they saw the paint and just undid the one bolt

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #53 on: February 03, 2023, 01:26:49 am
Apparently my RE dealer has some equipment that cools the engine down quickly so they can do the first service including valve clearance in a couple of hours.

One_Box

• Scooter
  • Herefordshire, England
Reply #54 on: February 03, 2023, 10:52:00 am
A large fan maybe ?

I’ve no intention of taking my Hunter 350 to a dealer for servicing.
Although I’ve less than 300 miles on the clock, I’ve already bought an oil filter kit and spare rocker box cover gasket from Hitchcocks and the correct spec synthetic oil from Smith and Allan ( <£30 for 5 ltr ).
I’ve got all the correct tools including torque wrenches and I’m sure maintaining my bike will give me the satisfaction of knowing the job is done properly.

Bimble

• Scooter
  • Cumbria, England
Reply #55 on: February 03, 2023, 12:10:00 pm
Just as long as you consider the consequences of invalidating your warranty. Servicing is one thing but carrying out repairs - possibly expensive ones - is another.
RE Meteor, RE Classic 350, RE Himalayan, Ducati Monster 937, Kawasaki Z900RS, Triumph Trident 660.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: February 03, 2023, 04:23:01 pm
A large fan maybe ?

I’ve no intention of taking my Hunter 350 to a dealer for servicing.
Although I’ve less than 300 miles on the clock, I’ve already bought an oil filter kit and spare rocker box cover gasket from Hitchcocks and the correct spec synthetic oil from Smith and Allan ( <£30 for 5 ltr ).
I’ve got all the correct tools including torque wrenches and I’m sure maintaining my bike will give me the satisfaction of knowing the job is done properly.

Just a heads up for you, in case you haven't seen threads about this, mostly on the 650 forum. The valve cover bolts are a shoulder bolt, which can only seat so far into the head until the shoulder contacts the head. There is a compressible washer beneath each bolt head which makes the seal and there are numerous reports of those bolts being sheared off in the head by the use of a torque wrench on them, or over zealous gorilla hands.

Once the bolt seats and is just snugged up, by hand tightening, that is all that is required.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #57 on: February 03, 2023, 06:35:24 pm
Just as long as you consider the consequences of invalidating your warranty. Servicing is one thing but carrying out repairs - possibly expensive ones - is another.

This is exactly what concerns me.

Imagine if you had a catastrophic engine failure and no warranty. ECU software updates? Tripper update? Brake caliper recalls have happened in the past at RE I believe.
Servicing really is the easy bit, most repairs on these bikes are within the capability of an average mechanic or a half decent amateur enthusiast. But none service parts may be hard to source and very expensive.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: February 03, 2023, 10:37:48 pm
I guess it all depends on how much faith you have in the brand!
On both my Hondas they had their first (discounted) service and that gave me the first year or 7,500 miles worth of warranty/peace of mind. If something expensive was going to fail it would in all likelihood have done so before they’d covered their first 8,000miles.

Unfortunately having the first service on the RE will only get you a further 6 months of riding or 3,000 miles on the clock before you either opt to take it back or service it yourself. 
I never took my B5 back after the first service and the money saved over not having the bike serviced 7 or 8 times within that first two years of warranty period more than covered the few things that failed. The most expensive of which was the left hand switch block, it’s replacement cost me £8 + £3 postage off £bay.   
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #59 on: February 04, 2023, 07:04:39 am
I guess it all depends on how much faith you have in the brand!
On both my Hondas they had their first (discounted) service and that gave me the first year or 7,500 miles worth of warranty/peace of mind. If something expensive was going to fail it would in all likelihood have done so before they’d covered their first 8,000miles.

Unfortunately having the first service on the RE will only get you a further 6 months of riding or 3,000 miles on the clock before you either opt to take it back or service it yourself. 
I never took my B5 back after the first service and the money saved over not having the bike serviced 7 or 8 times within that first two years of warranty period more than covered the few things that failed. The most expensive of which was the left hand switch block, it’s replacement cost me £8 + £3 postage off £bay.

Just hope no one else ends in this position. Copied from ADVrider.

"Whelp, finally got the official word today. According to Royal Enfield USA, I apparently can't sufficiently prove that I put in the correct amount of oil in the engine after my 500km service, and because there is no sign of consumption or oil leaks, they do not consider the blown engine to be a warrantable defect. They are willing to offer a "goodwill" of covering the labor to replace the engine, but that means I will still be looking at $3,500 for a new engine, about half of what I paid for this bike out the door.

I'm pretty frustrated with this as I have receipts of what I bought, and I'm sorry but it's not hard to pour in almost 2 liters of oil into an engine, and this decision and lack of support has really soured me on the company of royal enfield. I get that they have to protect their bottom line, but to deny a warranty because I can't prove that I "properly" filed the engine with almost 2 liters of the 3 I bought is absolutely bullshit.

Sorry for the rant. I said I'd update you all when I had more to update, I really wish it was better news."

The whole thing can be found here.
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-owners-thread.1253460/page-1633#post-43708569
About a third down the page. Posted by h4Z_M47
It is long and drawn out, if you are interested you will have to pick your way through it.

I know I have posted this before but people should be aware of what they are doing.

Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--