Author Topic: Electra X Conical Air Filter  (Read 1253 times)

Iain Allen

• Neophyte
on: August 28, 2022, 09:29:29 am
I am contemplating buying the S&B conical air filter from Hitchcocks to fit to my Electra X which still has the original Mikarb fitted.

Has anyone done this and if so were there any issues?

I notice Hitchcocks say the side panel will need altering, does anyone have experience of doing this?

Many Thanks
Iain

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 11:25:28 pm
Why not just fit the right hand side panel off the Electra-EFI? It is identical except for a larger cut-away around the air intake. Perfect, I would have thought.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Used-Parts-and-Bikes/Toolboxes-Air-Filter/22236

Check with Hitchcocks' about main jet sizes if you're fitting a freer-breathing filter.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Iain Allen

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 06:59:20 am
Thanks Adrian for the info about the side panel, I didn't know that.

I've a few jets after playing around with the exhaust and K&N filter.

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 03:44:59 pm
Picked this up from elsewhere about fitting pod filters to CV carbs;

Lets talk "pod" air filters. Before you rip off your airbox and ruin your bike. there's a few things to know. individual air filters sold widely on wish and amazon are not real parts, they will keep bugs and your pant leg from being sucked into your carb. But they will also,9 times out of 10 make your bike un-rideable considering that 99% of motorcycle riders who buy them have little tuning knowledge. if you don't know what airfilter oil is then don't fuck with it. if you don't understand how a CV carb works or even what one is, don't fuck with it. Motorcycle carbs like a still, consistent pocket of air to draw from and engineered backpressure to draw against. Try taking the lid off your iced latte and putting your mouth around the whole cup and sucking.  yes I'm sure you have experience sucking on something big with your mouth wide open if you bought pods.... but it never ends well. that is why your pod equipped bike only runs on choke. CV (constant velocity) carbs work on the vacuum produced by your engine, the airbox regulates available air creating backpressure which then sucks gas via the jets. air intake into the carbs on CV carbs is regulated by the butterfly which is what moves when you twist the throttle. Jetting the carbs increases gas but leaves air intake the same. stick your head outa the window at 100 mph and see if you can use all that air. all i see these days is cut up Hondas that don't run for shit. if you don't understand what I've written here, or if there's not a little purple oil collecting on the back of your "pod". then leave it alone.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 05:53:18 pm
There are also K&N air filters which are a direct replacement for the OEM thing in the original air box. Can't remember the part number but I've posted it somewhere on here before.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 12:44:50 pm
For some reason the Electra-X air box is arranged backwards so that the incoming air flows from inside the filter out to the outside, then around the rest of the air box and on into the carb. This might well have started with Redditch Bullets and continued right up to the CGT535. One of the CGT tuning mods is a revised air filter set-up which the intake air flows in the more obvious direction.

A.