Author Topic: Tattly Rappets?  (Read 1683 times)

excollier

• Scooter
on: August 23, 2022, 01:47:24 pm
I cannot silence the tappets on my Himmie, even though they are adjusted to spec. Bike runs and pulls really well though.
Maybe it's not tappet noise....
I helped rebuild the engine of the passing tractor at the end, it sounds more healthy (and the tappets are way more easy to access and set!!)

https://www.bitchute.com/video/6JhUaaSMgxBm/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 02:04:33 pm by excollier »
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 10:54:06 pm
If the tappets are to spec when the engine is dead cold, the the problem lies elsewhere. Exhaust leak? Cam chain tensioner loose? Though it doesn’t sound like the latter to me. Sounds more like a vacuum leak or exhaust leak.
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 08:47:19 am
Nah, these bikes are like a mad auntie's blacksmith, especially when new. They do quieten down, but that's a relative measure. If the tappets are within range, just live with them. All I can really suggest (apart from rum), is adjust them to the minimum settings.

If your bike is relatively new (less than 5,000 km), remember that the header is single wall stainless and it will bang like blazes until it has a good layer of carbon on it.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 11:52:36 am
Thanks for your thoughts, I'll do some more checking.
The camchain tensioner has been changed to cancel that out (last year, even my local bike garage checked the tappets and confirmed them in spec) I checked the tappets myself last week.
The bike is just coming up to 6000 miles and an oil & filter change in the next couple of weeks.
Lokks like I'll need to live with it then.
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

jadofind

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 03:30:56 am
Could be that you just need a aftermarket slip-on and hi flow intake. That should do it!
2021 Himalayan
2014 Yamaha XVS950
2002 HD Sportster 883

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 07:35:01 pm
I cannot silence the tappets on my Himmie, even though they are adjusted to spec. Bike runs and pulls really well though.
Maybe it's not tappet noise....
I helped rebuild the engine of the passing tractor at the end, it sounds more healthy (and the tappets are way more easy to access and set!!)

https://www.bitchute.com/video/6JhUaaSMgxBm/
  I've seen your post on a couple of sites, sorry but I am going to pepper you with questions, hope you don't mind.

So, how many miles on the Himmy? Is it a 2018-2019 FI model? It looks pretty much stock, any internal engine components been changed out besides the cam adjuster? Does it have the same sound when cold and after a ride or does the quality of the sound change and how so?
  About the video, it's a bit hard to get a really good feeling from it, it seems that some audio is shifted upwards or perhaps there is a high'ish drone from the microphone or from the encoding process. I hear both normal and not normal sound at points, the phantom ringing and high's pitch drone when the tractor goes by is what confirmed the audio being off kilter.
  OK, here comes the shotgun approach as there isn't enough info yet to really isolate the fault or tell if it is a fault.
  Overall, do you find the tappets themselves loud or are they fine and there is a rattly resonance as described above when decelerating the engine, or some variation of those symptoms?

About noise and rattly bits, the oil pump chain and sprocket is very loose by design, this is non-critical though a small amount of sound could originate from it. You can remove some of the play with a small shim, but its fine as it is. If its pumping oil along with adequate pressure, it is not broken.
  Valve guide wear which I doubt as you should get a bit a telltale of grayish smoke.

If you have read this far, thanks. :) If you could re-record the sound, but perhaps on a smallish pad of concrete but definitely outside of the enclosed space and away from walls it might be helpful to the ears to discern more info. Also, my eye can't help but look at what might be a hole in the spark plug boot. lol  Good luck, I hope we hear back from 'ya.

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 12:09:26 pm
  I've seen your post on a couple of sites, sorry but I am going to pepper you with questions, hope you don't mind.

So, how many miles on the Himmy? Is it a 2018-2019 FI model? It looks pretty much stock, any internal engine components been changed out besides the cam adjuster? Does it have the same sound when cold and after a ride or does the quality of the sound change and how so?
  About the video, it's a bit hard to get a really good feeling from it, it seems that some audio is shifted upwards or perhaps there is a high'ish drone from the microphone or from the encoding process. I hear both normal and not normal sound at points, the phantom ringing and high's pitch drone when the tractor goes by is what confirmed the audio being off kilter.
  OK, here comes the shotgun approach as there isn't enough info yet to really isolate the fault or tell if it is a fault.
  Overall, do you find the tappets themselves loud or are they fine and there is a rattly resonance as described above when decelerating the engine, or some variation of those symptoms?

About noise and rattly bits, the oil pump chain and sprocket is very loose by design, this is non-critical though a small amount of sound could originate from it. You can remove some of the play with a small shim, but its fine as it is. If its pumping oil along with adequate pressure, it is not broken.
  Valve guide wear which I doubt as you should get a bit a telltale of grayish smoke.

If you have read this far, thanks. :) If you could re-record the sound, but perhaps on a smallish pad of concrete but definitely outside of the enclosed space and away from walls it might be helpful to the ears to discern more info. Also, my eye can't help but look at what might be a hole in the spark plug boot. lol  Good luck, I hope we hear back from 'ya.

The bike has 5600 miles on it, just three years old this month, August 2019 FI - sorry about the audio, must be my phone.
It sounds, to me, like the exhaust tappet is loose, all the time,  even though it's in spec at 0.25mm. When I rev it then release the throttle it makes a rattling sound as the revs decrease - as the engine warms up it sounds slightly worse, louder, but no effect on performance (you'd think the noise would improve/decrease a little).
I'll use my other phone and record it again outside, then upload it as soon as I can - thanks for your input
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 12:15:56 pm by excollier »

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 02:41:35 pm
updated video coming soon....

here it is...

https://www.bitchute.com/video/cXynZcat8SpK/

« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:51:42 pm by excollier »

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 01:19:06 am
 Thanks, that's a much better sound recording. To my ear, that sounds pretty normal, or similar to my 2019. What I notice as you move around the engine is that the exhaust valve is a bit louder, which makes sense as there is a bit more additional lash to allow for the expansion due to the really high heat in that area. Towards the intake is is quieter, and as you move downward from it you can pick up a rattly/loose harmonic. I believe, please triple check me, that is the oil pump which is quite loose in its tolerances.
 I had asked about components being changed out on the upper end, there is a brand of camshaft which has a harsh transition at the clearance ramp which gives a sharp clack or wrapping sound, Hitchcock, Tec, and the OEM do not exhibit this. I don't detect that sound on yours, I'm guessing the cam is stock?
 Overall, I hear no alarming tappet noise which sounds within reason. I do hear a rattly sound, as I said above, as you move the camera lower on the engine on the right hand motorcycle side. I believe that may be the oil pump I noted above. Again, if the pump is pumping oil, its working correctly. I have seen one person who did add a small amount of shim to the pump (they already had the side of the case off) and reported it was a small but noticeable amount quieter.
 All looks OK, but will definitely seem louder in the small garage, and the tank reflects sound downward which concrete reflects back and the front screen seems to perfectly reflect to us. :) For rattly noises, also be sure to check light housing bezel and mount some foam at point on that ring, contact on the front windshield from the light, and if you have what looks like dust in your dash gauges, it might have a rattle there as the dust appears as the pieces abrade. Hope you find something here helpful or that gives some peace of mind.

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 02:23:45 pm
Thanks, that's a much better sound recording. To my ear, that sounds pretty normal, or similar to my 2019. What I notice as you move around the engine is that the exhaust valve is a bit louder, which makes sense as there is a bit more additional lash to allow for the expansion due to the really high heat in that area. Towards the intake is is quieter, and as you move downward from it you can pick up a rattly/loose harmonic. I believe, please triple check me, that is the oil pump which is quite loose in its tolerances.
 I had asked about components being changed out on the upper end, there is a brand of camshaft which has a harsh transition at the clearance ramp which gives a sharp clack or wrapping sound, Hitchcock, Tec, and the OEM do not exhibit this. I don't detect that sound on yours, I'm guessing the cam is stock?
 Overall, I hear no alarming tappet noise which sounds within reason. I do hear a rattly sound, as I said above, as you move the camera lower on the engine on the right hand motorcycle side. I believe that may be the oil pump I noted above. Again, if the pump is pumping oil, its working correctly. I have seen one person who did add a small amount of shim to the pump (they already had the side of the case off) and reported it was a small but noticeable amount quieter.
 All looks OK, but will definitely seem louder in the small garage, and the tank reflects sound downward which concrete reflects back and the front screen seems to perfectly reflect to us. :) For rattly noises, also be sure to check light housing bezel and mount some foam at point on that ring, contact on the front windshield from the light, and if you have what looks like dust in your dash gauges, it might have a rattle there as the dust appears as the pieces abrade. Hope you find something here helpful or that gives some peace of mind.
Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your knowledge. I'll live with it for now.....

cupoftee

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 07:15:08 am
I'm more concerned when it stops rattling.  ;D

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 06:45:00 am
Easy solution, which has worked on many bikes, my old brits, Moto Guzzis, and many others.

A decent set of ear plugs. Simples.
Deepest dark South Devon, UK

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 05:04:27 pm
Easy solution, which has worked on many bikes, my old brits, Moto Guzzis, and many others.

A decent set of ear plugs. Simples.

^^^^

What he said.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350