Author Topic: Anyone is the US sell a sidecar kit?  (Read 2192 times)

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
on: January 13, 2022, 09:47:03 pm
Would love to be able to easily hook up a sidecar so i could take the family along for my rides.

Anyone know of a US distributor for something that will just bolt right up to the INT 650?
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 03:00:33 am
I'm led to understand my fellow Forum Mod and former official Enfield importer for North America, Kevin Mahoney, may still be importing those lovely retro and Steib-like "Cozy" brand sidecars...maybe other brands besides: https://www.cyclesidecar.com/about-1
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 05:43:50 am
https://www.cyclesidecar.com/

I stumbled upon them as well! Direct mounting kits for the RE INT 650.  A bit pricey at $3500, had budgeted 2-3k but I will reach out for sure to see options.
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 03:20:51 pm
Would love to be able to easily hook up a sidecar so i could take the family along for my rides.

Anyone know of a US distributor for something that will just bolt right up to the INT 650?
I notice that you didn't draw a lot of traffic on this topic. I think that is because the EZ on/off sidecar doesn't really exist in the wild. Sidecars are very cool and the concept of taking your best friend along beside you is even more cool. But there is nothing casual about sidecars.

Folks like Kevin know what they are doing and are worth their weight in gold. Probably by volume the Ural network is the place to go for learning and deciding if sidecars, in general, are for you. There is an active dealer in NH.
There is also the sidecar racer crowd http://www.sidecarracers.com/the-machines.html

I'm not against sidecars. I've ridden / driven them and it was enjoyable. But I'm not very good at it. To me it is more like driving a snowmobile than riding a motorcycle. Yet, I can see the attraction for touring and as you expressed, a family outing. As for that EZ mounting system which does not require re-tuning every time ... I think it would resemble the way a wire wheel mounts on a MGB.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 06:08:27 pm

I've always had a soft spot for side cars, and over the years have owned three outfits and worked on maybe a dozen of them for customers so I can tell you that there is nothing that will "easily hook up." Installing a chair is a serious commitment and will require a bit of work including changing the gearing and suspension to work with the added weight of the hack that will make the bike awkward to use if you decide to reconfigure it to solo use. That being said here's one connection I've used over the years, though whether they're still in business or not I can't say. https://www.facebook.com/SideStrider

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 05:00:47 am
Absolutely. Have scrapped the idea of having it be easy to disconnect. When it's on it will be on.

Which means I'll need a second non-sidecar bike..... :)

08crd

• Bulleteer
  • Western Australia
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 05:36:21 am
This bike shop in Perth, Western Australia always have an Interceptor fitted up with a sidecar, may be worth emailing them with any questions, they might be able to save you some grief.

https://jcsmotorcycles.com.au/motorcycle-showroom/used-bikes

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 07:07:17 am
As stated earlier sidecars are not easily attached then detached, once fitted you are committed. Once you have ridden the outfit for a while the centre of your tyres wear quickly too, long wearing tyres are your best bet with an outfit. The more rigid the tyre the better
Previously "Haggisman"

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 08:40:54 am
https://www.cyclesidecar.com/

I stumbled upon them as well! Direct mounting kits for the RE INT 650.  A bit pricey at $3500, had budgeted 2-3k but I will reach out for sure to see options.

LOL! A safe setup in my opinion for your RE unless you have experience with sidecars and are a good in fabrication is going to be 5-8k. My last  and current rig a EML setup for my 2008 BMW K1200S was a EML Speed 2000 at 25k just for the sidecar alone.

Steering modifications alone at a minimum for a Triple Tree is around $1,000 and Leading Link setup is much better is $2,000-$2,500. These mods are so you can handle it going down the road at speeds.

If I was going to set up a RE 650 I’d look at,
https://www.watsoniansquireusa.com/
And
https://www.dmcsidecars.com/
Jay is a BMW guy with quite the attitude, but he can sell you one of his own sidecars or help you set up the correct size sidecar you want on your bike. Yes you need right size of sidecar for your bike. I see many sidecars that are to small bolted to bikes. Jay can fabricated what ever you need and set it up for a safe rig correctly matched to your bike.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:27:18 am by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 08:55:33 am
I had a Suzuki GS750 with a sidecar attached, thicker fork oil and a volkswagen beetle steering damper worked for me
Previously "Haggisman"

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 09:29:28 am
I’d buy a convertible car. Fresh air travelling without all the phaffing.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 10:13:55 am
Okay, I'm in ...
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 02:50:20 am
I am in Thailand and the only new choice is a heavy, locally made, fibreglass hack that is fairly fugly.  I was lucky to find a Cozy that someone imported from India, so bought it and fixed it up to my liking.  Modified the mount, TIG welded over the crappy welds, new swingarm, disc brake, YSS steering damper, 18" Enfield alloy rim on stainless spokes with tubeless conversion, Brooklands screen, proper paint that does not fall off, up-rated springs on the YSS shocks, front springs, Sunbrella tonneau, modified seat, LED Harley headlight where Cozy has a blanking plug, + another as an auxiliary spotlight, the list goes on and on..........  A TEC pipe made mounting easier as nothing on the L side of the bike (we drive on the R).  Remove the now, not required centre stand, for a mount point

It could come off now to ride solo but oversprung, and a bit of a hassle to re&re each ride.  Buy a solo bike

Besides being a bit terrifying to ride for the non-sidecarist, it became pretty clear that the brakes and steering could do with a bit of improvement.  I fitted a 4 piston, axial mount Brembo calliper and Brembo radial master cylinder to the bike front which made a huge difference.  Braking is still a bit odd compared to a solo bike so I need to relearn the lots of front brake technique and use both front and back together.  Pic is pre brake upgrade, but see https://www.facebook.com/Royal-Enfield-brake-upgrade-112546374592213

Steering is a bit heavy and reduced trail is the easiest fix if one is to retain the stock hydraulic forks.  Once you reduce the trail you will not want to ride the bike solo.  It is OK without the yoke mod, and properly aligned, I have run it to 120 kph without issues other than the heavy steering. 
Next on my list of things to design and make, is a set of alloy yokes to reduce trail, and a bit wider to simplify fitting the Brembo calliper.  This will be a one time effort so if anyone wants in on it let me know. 

The mounts still are a bit too agricultural looking for my liking, and will probably tidy them up after the yoke project
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:59:14 am by Hog Head »
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R