Author Topic: Anybody check out the exhausts on ebay from Thailand?  (Read 5532 times)

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 03:56:03 am
I live in Thailand and there are literally hundreds of small shops making exhausts at about half that price.  I do note however, than shipping is included but even so, air parcel post would be about 90-100 USD for a pipe.  Any other mtthod is too slow or too expensive.  Even air post is slow now and air parcel is taking about 4-5 weeks to the USA.

Thailand is Facebook obsessed, so look there for shops.  One decent pipe maker is Ranger Korat, but by no means is he the only one.  English is a problem with most shops, and English messages are often ignored, but Ranger can communicate in English.  He can make you anything you want as the RE 650 is very popular here - mudguards in SS, aluminium tanks, pipes, sump guards, racks.........
https://www.facebook.com/Rangerkorat/

There are a couple of FB Enfield 650 sites with pipes for sale every day. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/804866872975990
https://www.facebook.com/groups/378950456096811/?multi_permalinks=883910352267483
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2161185494124490

Typically zero understanding of exhaust wave theory and all pipes are about looks and sound.  Welding and fabrication is generally very good however, but most shops do not have a good mandrel bender so tight bends are usually done using the pie cut TIG welded style.

As much as I like the Scrambler high pipe look, I personally find it far too hot here for a high exhaust.

Slip ons are cheap as chips here and the Supertrapp styles are about 225 USD for the pair - most other slip ons at about 175.00

That’s good information, thank you very much. I’ll check it out, it sounds like some good options.

Ruddigger

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 05:01:03 pm
I purchased a set of pipes off eBay and I waited a lot longer than I wanted to, but they were about half the price of the BAAK set. They pipes are more or less stylized the same way, though mine have chrome pipes. The headers fit exactly without issue but the tail pipes need to be modified to bolt to the stock exhaust hangers properly, so in a sense, you get what you pay for. It definitely looks and sounds a lot better though!!

That’s the one I ordered as well. They must have shipped it by canoe.
2022 650GT Mr Clean

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 10:58:25 pm
Fair enough. I'm interested in this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185007884189?hash=item2b1354479d:g:XUIAAOSwJo9hH5kP

I like the look of it, it mounts on the left so doesn't block the right side panel, and it's half the price of the Zard.
So, I wonder about the quality of it, how it attaches to the frame, and also if it accommodates the O2 sensor (can't see it in the photo).
As a general question, has anyone purchased an aftermarket exhaust for the 650 from Thailand, and what did they think of overall quality? There seem to be lots of them on ebay and I just want to do my due diligence before I send them my money.
I have sent an email to the seller but waiting for a response.

Looks really convenient for access to the relays on the side of the road if you have an issue.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 12:52:43 am
True, but I can imagine lots of issues that would be inconvenient on the side of the road.  :)

Shifty1969

• Shifty
  • Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 01:41:39 am
My first bike was a 1971 TR6RC scrambler, pipes was the first thing I changed, went with TTS cause they were available, it was too much heat even in Michigan, personal preference I guess.
Just cause you ain’t paranoid,don’t mean they ain’t out to get you!

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 01:43:48 am
That’s the one I ordered as well. They must have shipped it by canoe.

I ship parts to the US and Canada every month and Covid delays considered, Thailand Post is surprisingly efficient and friendly.  Sea canoe post is several months in normal circumstances and I have not even tried now. 
There are different levels of air post ranging from 1 week, to 6 weeks.  Normal air parcel is the best bang, door to door traceable, and even with Covid delays takes about 4 weeks. 
He probably used the cheapest air parcel rate, which consolidates until a air can is full, then has lowest freight priority until it clears US Customs

You need to be very clear on what type of shipping he is using

Any incoming duty and tax?

Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

Ruddigger

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 01:54:55 am
I wasnt really given an option, but I would have paid a little more if given the option. Oh well, I guess I can wait. We dont have to pay import duties here.
2022 650GT Mr Clean

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 08:36:37 am
My first bike was a 1971 TR6RC scrambler, pipes was the first thing I changed, went with TTS cause they were available, it was too much heat even in Michigan, personal preference I guess.
Seems like we’ve gotten a bit off topic. I just asked about exhausts from Thailand, not about the preference for high pipes vs. low pipes.
I had the same bike (a 1969 version) and rode it all over Mexico and Central America during the warm season and loved the high pipes.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 11:52:53 am
I'm not interested in most threads but open them anyway to discover the off topic gems 😜

“Digressions, incontestably, are the sunshine; — they are the life, the soul of reading; —take them out of this [forum] for instance, —you might as well take the [forum] along with them.”

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 02:26:44 pm
I'm not interested in most threads but open them anyway to discover the off topic gems 😜

“Digressions, incontestably, are the sunshine; — they are the life, the soul of reading; —take them out of this [forum] for instance, —you might as well take the [forum] along with them.”

I guess I misunderstood the purpose of this forum. I thought that was what the Campfire Talk forum was for.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 03:34:20 pm
I guess I misunderstood the purpose of this forum. I thought that was what the Campfire Talk forum was for.

Purpose and Use are two different things. You've got a bunch of old men who like vehicles of various types here and love giving their opinions. Topics wander. If that actually bothers you then you're probably in the wrong place.

That's not an attack or a judgement, BTW, just plain fact. Open up any long running thread here and enjoy the James Joycian journey through shifting focus. 😂

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 03:44:06 pm
Point taken, i meant no offense.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 10:02:38 pm
Point taken, i meant no offense.

LoL. None taken. Honestly, it irritated the shit out of me when I first washed up here, but you get used to it. Then you start to do it. Next thing you know you're growing a gray mustache and talking about valve tolerances on a car that was built when the dinosaurs walked the earth. I think it's a virus that's going around here.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 10:11:25 pm
 ;D ;D

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 11, 2021, 07:05:12 am
LoL. None taken. Honestly, it irritated the shit out of me when I first washed up here, but you get used to it. Then you start to do it. Next thing you know you're growing a gray mustache and talking about valve tolerances on a car that was built when the dinosaurs walked the earth. I think it's a virus that's going around here.

And going LATERAL off thread you learn so much GOOD SHIT it's amazing (and FUN👍)
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍