Author Topic: The olds days  (Read 2393 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: September 16, 2021, 11:06:30 pm
Anyone here remember when there was only the Bullet category ?
The UCE was only a threat on the horizon.
It seems like 1000 years ago.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:35:38 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 11:39:03 pm
Yep, Kevin Mahoney was just starting out, Major Bunty Go Lightly was a frequent contributor. Pete Snidal was in manual preparation, did a preliminary release to the Yahoo group. Ace was there, as was Tracy Prior.  Dan Holmes was putting together the bike for the Bonneville flats runs. Who was the guy from Uncommon Motorcycles?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:41:23 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 01:20:56 pm
I certainly have killed many brain cells since then. I remember Uncommon but not the man. I do remember some characters though. The "Clamp" episodes were bizarre .
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Pierric

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 06:22:26 pm
This was the picture used by the french importer around 2005 for the military Bullet :

I watched and watched it, dreaming of it.

And, as life contingencies piled up, I finally ended with a Deluxe Model in... 2019. That is a lesson in patience.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:35:06 pm by Bilgemaster »
When you have to shoot... shoot ! Don't Talk.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 10:33:19 pm
Hmmm...For some reason "Pierric's" hotlinked image of that tasty "Military" wouldn't display in his posting, so I took the liberty of editing his link to point instead to the Forum-uploaded copy of it that I've just attached below.

I believe that's a 2004, but connoisseurs will note that not only does it still have the 4-speed Albion box, but it's a right-hand shifter as well--a desirable feature in its own right. My own 2005 was the first year to have their newer 5-speed box, but it's a lefty. Otherwise, it's near identical, except mine has picked up some sprung saddles, crash bars, a see-through pushrod adjustment cover, a little chrome headlamp peak, an occasionally-mounted OO-Gah! horn for festive occasions, and lost its curséd starter. See: https://youtu.be/Xcfo30h-0N0

Those interested in learning or reminiscing about the legendary Royal Enfield luminary Maj. Bunty Golightly (Ret.) mentioned in a previous posting might enjoy this and the several other items linked therein in David Blasco's fine Royal Enfields  blog: https://www.royalenfields.com/2009/03/mad-letter-from-enfields-major-bunty.html

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:21:20 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 11:12:37 pm
Hmmm...For some reason "Pierric's" hotlinked image of that tasty "Military" wouldn't display in his posting, so I took the liberty of editing his link to the Forum-uploaded copy of it that I've just attached below.

I believe that's a 2004, but connoisseurs will note that not only does it still have the 4-speed Albion box, but it's a right-hand shifter as well. My own 2005 was the first year to have their newer 5-speed box, but it's a lefty. Otherwise, it's near identical, except mine has picked up some spring saddles, crash bars, a see-through pushrod adjustment cover, a little chrome headlamp peak and the occasional OO-gah! horn for festive occasions and lost its curséd starter. See: https://youtu.be/Xcfo30h-0N0

Stock up now on those hard to get replacement body parts and accessories. I hear there's a good deal down in Wanted. ;)

BTW nice military, I like it a lot,  makes me feel somewhat guilty for what I did to mine but probably make yours more collectible as the numbers of them in the US drop. I also enjoyed your video, the horns a hoot, some pun intended.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 06:56:07 pm
Many of the posters were of that "certain" age where unfiltered dialog was hysterically funny. Sadly they are mostly gone now.
 It's too bad we cant reach back that far. There was also a very nice photo section. Is any of this accessible ?
 It would be a hoot to read some Uncle Ernie wisdom. Or endure a Clamp rant.
So Bilgemaster, can any of this be revived? It must be on a thumb drive somewhere.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 10:23:38 pm
The military's with the painted engines look great! I always wanted the soft green colour bullet but never saw that colour for sale in Australia. Rarely see any iron barrels for sale anymore.
cheer heaps
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 11:20:29 pm

Stock up now on those hard to get replacement body parts and accessories. I hear there's a good deal down in Wanted. ;)

BTW nice military, I like it a lot,  makes me feel somewhat guilty for what I did to mine but probably make yours more collectible as the numbers of them in the US drop. I also enjoyed your video, the horns a hoot, some pun intended.

Thanks, but as I've already pointed out, yours turned out far more than merely "worthy" of the sacrifice. It might well be the loveliest green laner Bullet there is. And don't think for a moment that I am not mulling over those shed parts. But I need a haul of presently unneeded bits like I need gills on my butt cheeks. Frankly, if at all possible, I'd suggest holding onto them for posterity and the future owner(s)...especially those panniers and rack, which I, frankly, adore on mine--and maybe the exhaust to suit them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 11:33:01 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 01:56:09 am
Maybe Western Cycle Tim would be interested in consignment sales of these take-off bits? A central repository, more traffic, ???
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 02:33:01 am
Maybe Western Cycle Tim would be interested in consignment sales of these take-off bits? A central repository, more traffic, ???

That might be a good lead. I'm not desperate to sell but I'd like to to see those parts get a good home and be of use to someone. Right now they are tucked away in my tractor shed and can stay there indefinitely but I have spent the last couple years since I retired selling , giving away, and clearing out stuff, parts, etc. that I had been hoarding for years, it's been liberating to do so and I'm trying not to get back in the habit of holding on to things I don't really need.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 03:38:46 pm
That might be a good lead. I'm not desperate to sell but I'd like to to see those parts get a good home and be of use to someone. Right now they are tucked away in my tractor shed and can stay there indefinitely but I have spent the last couple years since I retired selling , giving away, and clearing out stuff, parts, etc. that I had been hoarding for years, it's been liberating to do so and I'm trying not to get back in the habit of holding on to things I don't really need.
Perhaps lowering the prices might help?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 04:24:10 pm
Perhaps lowering the prices might help?

And speaking of the olden days, when a Hershey bar was about the size of a "foreign car" nobody would fix and cost a nickel (which had bumblebees on them), there's this: https://youtu.be/NvTX43z_Xak

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 04:43:21 pm
And speaking of the olden days, when a Hershey bar was about the size of a "foreign car" nobody would fix and cost a nickel (which had bumblebees on them), there's this: https://youtu.be/NvTX43z_Xak

LOL funny, I haven't had regular television for a decade now but if there is one show I miss it's Family Guy. Irreverent and politically incorrect it has it's fingers on the pulse of American society and its missteps and foibles. Some of my favorites were Stewie and Bryan time travel episodes. I am getting caught up a bit with youtube clips.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 09:15:30 pm
"The olds days" (from the same folks who brought you the "Royals Enfield" tappet covers, maybe?) took a bit of a left-turn for me from the beginning, I bought an Electra-X!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...