Author Topic: Relaxing the Interceptor  (Read 9761 times)

rex81

• Scooter
on: July 19, 2021, 05:30:39 pm
I picked up my 2021 Orange Crush about six weeks ago. I'm coming from a 2017 Classic 500 that I had a lot of fun with, but got tired of parts rattling off of it and the general feeling that it would blow up at any moment. A clogged injector that I spent 2 months troubleshooting was the last straw.

I immediately fell in love with the looks, handling, engine, and transmission of the Interceptor. However, the ergonomics and general comfort felt very awkward. I figured this was mostly due to me coming from a very relaxed position on the Classic 500 to a sportier position on the Interceptor, and that I would probably get used to it. I didn't, and instead decided to do something about it.

So here's what I've done to make this bike (in my opinion) vastly more comfortable and feeling more "right".

-GT650 dual touring seat - $106 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/402613978790. Much better look, slightly more comfortable. Can double my time in the saddle before numbness begins.

-Up and over handlebar risers - $29 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091F87YTH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This was a huge improvement, along with the handlebars below. Brought me into a much more comfortable upright position. Just a note, the ones I bought didn't have the correct hole alignment, so I needed to do a little drilling.

-EMGO No. 10 handlebars - $26 - https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/chrome-7-8-in-no-10-off-road-handlebar-23-12581.p599844.prd/599844.sku. I knew I needed more pullback than the stock bars, even with the up and over risers. Plus, my stock bars came from the factory with the chrome chipping off. The EMGO No. 10 bars have the right pullback, but they're super wide. I had to take about 2 inches off each end and probably could've done more. If I had to do it again, I might go with the EMGO Classic bars without the risers. I think that would give the right height and pullback and the right width right out of the box.

-Hitchcocks footrest relocation kit - $75 - https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/40215?ref_page=Interceptor%20650. I'm 6'1" and my legs felt too cramped and swept back. Again, I understand this is a sportier stance, but I didn't like it. Although I find the Hitchcocks part to be a bit overpriced, especially after shipping, it was relatively easy to install and did just the trick. My feet are significantly lower and slightly more forward, exactly as I was hoping for. The brackets do move the footrests 5/8" further away from the bike, which may be a problem for some, but I'm fine with it. I know you can buy new footpegs from TEC that do something similar but I much prefer the look of the stock pegs.

-Hepco & Becker pillion footrest relocation kit - $64 - https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-passenger-footrest-relocation-bracket-royal-enfield-interceptor. When I brought my Interceptor home I was excited to take my wife for a ride, assuming she's love it as much as I did. After 10 miles, she said "Nope. Never again. I hate that thing." She couldn't articulate her discomfort, but it turns out the pillion pegs are high and swept back, just like the driver pegs, but even more so. The part is backordered, so I haven't put it on yet, but I hear great things.

I think that's about all I'll do for now. Although I would've preferred the bike were a little more relaxed out of the factory, and I know someone is going to say I obviously bought the wrong bike if I wanted a standard or a cruiser, but I'm happy where the bike is now.

Anyone else spending some time and money "de-tuning" the Interceptor?

-

rex81

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 05:34:47 pm
Oh, and one more modification that helped relax the bike:

Hitchcocks 16T front sprocket - $25 - https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Gearbox-Sprockets-Himalayan/39031. This was a HUGE improvement to the bike. I was never quite happy with the more aggressive stock gearing. I felt like gears 2-5 were too short, 6 was too busy at highway speeds, and I couldn't find a comfortable gear for driving in 25 mph neighborhoods. All of that is resolved with this swap. The bike just feels more natural now.

supercub

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:39:35 pm
I wanted a Gitter and Dust INT, and to put a Norman Hyde bar on it, but it got sold. My 21 Ice Queen is nice ride, but my arms are a little short for the riding position. The pegs are a little to far back but if they were forward, I would be hitting them with my legs at stop lights. I believe I will get used to the positioning. I believe the 21's have different gearing, mine seems perfect, I never hunt for a 7th gear.
2021 Conti GT650 "Ice Queen"
1965 Honda CB160
2016 Honda CB500
2019 Suzuki TU250
Other project bikes

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
What, no photos?

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 09:15:17 pm
I wanted a Gitter and Dust INT, and to put a Norman Hyde bar on it, but it got sold. My 21 Ice Queen is nice ride, but my arms are a little short for the riding position. The pegs are a little to far back but if they were forward, I would be hitting them with my legs at stop lights. I believe I will get used to the positioning. I believe the 21's have different gearing, mine seems perfect, I never hunt for a 7th gear.

the '21s have different gearing? ive never heard that.

as for the OP, im surprised at the sporty comments. obviously our bodies are all different, but the interceptor has the most basic standard riding position possibly on any modern bike!

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 09:45:09 pm
With respect to gear ratio changes I recall mention of it applying to 2021 bikes.  I have no idea if this is true or false but a thorough search should turn up a post or online mention of it.

rex81

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 09:54:15 pm
the '21s have different gearing? ive never heard that.

as for the OP, im surprised at the sporty comments. obviously our bodies are all different, but the interceptor has the most basic standard riding position possibly on any modern bike!

I've heard that the '21s might have different gearing (I think this comes from some of the marketing language RE uses on their website). Mine is a 2021 built in January of 2021 and I don't believe it has different gearing. Felt the same as a 2020 that I rode at the dealership. Mine also is a EURO3 and I heard that 2021s are now EURO4. So maybe some of the early 2021s are different than later models.

I realize my definition of sporty may be different than others. I'm coming from a Classic 500, which is at the opposite end of the spectrum.  :)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 10:13:37 pm
I hope some will speak up if I am wrong.
I do not see anything from RE in the form of service updates to the shop manual or parts catalog that indicates any gear ratio changes, full stop... I believe this is a internet thing based on one clumsy sentence somewhere on a marketing page.   
Again, if anyone has any proof or even a strong indication, please jump on.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 10:43:03 pm
I've heard that the '21s might have different gearing (I think this comes from some of the marketing language RE uses on their website). Mine is a 2021 built in January of 2021 and I don't believe it has different gearing. Felt the same as a 2020 that I rode at the dealership. Mine also is a EURO3 and I heard that 2021s are now EURO4. So maybe some of the early 2021s are different than later models.

I realize my definition of sporty may be different than others. I'm coming from a Classic 500, which is at the opposite end of the spectrum.  :)

interesting. mine is a 2021 but im not sure when it was built. i'll have to check! and anything you do to let you enjoy your bike more, i'm all for it.

i've had my ducati for several years and it's riding position for me was mostly perfect, except the pegs felt just a *bit* high. it was only recently that i installed adjustable pegs that allow them to drop a few centimeters and it made a world of difference in comfort.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 10:45:16 pm by iblastoff »

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 11:29:04 pm
I hope some will speak up if I am wrong.
I do not see anything from RE in the form of service updates to the shop manual or parts catalog that indicates any gear ratio changes, full stop... I believe this is a internet thing based on one clumsy sentence somewhere on a marketing page.   
Again, if anyone has any proof or even a strong indication, please jump on.

Have you access to a 2021 parts catalogue? I couldn't find anything later than 2020 online. I want to check a few differences between earlier and 2021 models.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 11:32:58 pm
I picked up my 2021 Orange Crush about six weeks ago. I'm coming from a 2017 Classic 500 that I had a lot of fun with, but got tired of parts rattling off of it and the general feeling that it would blow up at any moment. A clogged injector that I spent 2 months troubleshooting was the last straw.

I immediately fell in love with the looks, handling, engine, and transmission of the Interceptor. However, the ergonomics and general comfort felt very awkward. I figured this was mostly due to me coming from a very relaxed position on the Classic 500 to a sportier position on the Interceptor, and that I would probably get used to it. I didn't, and instead decided to do something about it.

So here's what I've done to make this bike (in my opinion) vastly more comfortable and feeling more "right".

-GT650 dual touring seat - $106 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/402613978790. Much better look, slightly more comfortable. Can double my time in the saddle before numbness begins.

-Up and over handlebar risers - $29 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091F87YTH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This was a huge improvement, along with the handlebars below. Brought me into a much more comfortable upright position. Just a note, the ones I bought didn't have the correct hole alignment, so I needed to do a little drilling.

-EMGO No. 10 handlebars - $26 - https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/chrome-7-8-in-no-10-off-road-handlebar-23-12581.p599844.prd/599844.sku. I knew I needed more pullback than the stock bars, even with the up and over risers. Plus, my stock bars came from the factory with the chrome chipping off. The EMGO No. 10 bars have the right pullback, but they're super wide. I had to take about 2 inches off each end and probably could've done more. If I had to do it again, I might go with the EMGO Classic bars without the risers. I think that would give the right height and pullback and the right width right out of the box.

-Hitchcocks footrest relocation kit - $75 - https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/40215?ref_page=Interceptor%20650. I'm 6'1" and my legs felt too cramped and swept back. Again, I understand this is a sportier stance, but I didn't like it. Although I find the Hitchcocks part to be a bit overpriced, especially after shipping, it was relatively easy to install and did just the trick. My feet are significantly lower and slightly more forward, exactly as I was hoping for. The brackets do move the footrests 5/8" further away from the bike, which may be a problem for some, but I'm fine with it. I know you can buy new footpegs from TEC that do something similar but I much prefer the look of the stock pegs.

-Hepco & Becker pillion footrest relocation kit - $64 - https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-passenger-footrest-relocation-bracket-royal-enfield-interceptor. When I brought my Interceptor home I was excited to take my wife for a ride, assuming she's love it as much as I did. After 10 miles, she said "Nope. Never again. I hate that thing." She couldn't articulate her discomfort, but it turns out the pillion pegs are high and swept back, just like the driver pegs, but even more so. The part is backordered, so I haven't put it on yet, but I hear great things.

I think that's about all I'll do for now. Although I would've preferred the bike were a little more relaxed out of the factory, and I know someone is going to say I obviously bought the wrong bike if I wanted a standard or a cruiser, but I'm happy where the bike is now.

-

If you wnat to improve your wifes comfort issues you need one of these later style OEM seats. Firmer and 20mm higher for the pillion. Around $135usd from India on Flebay.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

supercub

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 11:40:37 pm
Hitchcocks has a parts list with diagrams.
2021 Conti GT650 "Ice Queen"
1965 Honda CB160
2016 Honda CB500
2019 Suzuki TU250
Other project bikes

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 11:54:19 pm
Have you access to a 2021 parts catalogue? I couldn't find anything later than 2020 online. I want to check a few differences between earlier and 2021 models.

Ciao
No. I asked the part guy at my dealership if he had gotten any supplemental pages or notices or even hearsay. Doesn't prove the negative and maybe no one thought to notify anyone. However, at the time that rumor started I did see the sentence that spawned this notion on the India forum. As far as I could tell it was just bragging sniglett that the "all new" twins had a different transmission from the previous models.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 12:04:32 am
No. I asked the part guy at my dealership if he had gotten any supplemental pages or notices or even hearsay. Doesn't prove the negative and maybe no one thought to notify anyone. However, at the time that rumor started I did see the sentence that spawned this notion on the India forum. As far as I could tell it was just bragging sniglett that the "all new" twins had a different transmission from the previous models.

Ok thanks. I wanted to see the P/N for the euro5 air injection covers and the P/N for the rubber water seal around the spark plugs my bike has. I couldn't find the number in the earlier parts book. Just out of interest. Seems they may have added those to stop water down the plug recess. It should have a recess drain of course but interesting non the less.
I stopped taking magazine articles and Journo's seriously after I was a part of an extended 4 way bike review for a magazine years ago, lol.

Ciao

Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

rex81

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 01:18:10 am
What, no photos?

Not too much to look at, as the changes are subtle cosmetically, except for the seat and the mirrors. I do think the new seat is a big improvement aesthetically. I never liked the quilted look on a motorcycle seat.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:20:43 am by rex81 »

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 01:24:11 am
Great Info. Question, did you need to replace any of the cables?  I, like you, would like a little more rise and pull back on the bars, I feel i'm leaning in a bit.
My Jan. 2021 Interceptor pulls 4,000 RPM at 100Kph, same as my Tiger Sport.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 01:51:23 am
Not too much to look at, as the changes are subtle cosmetically, except for the seat and the mirrors. I do think the new seat is a big improvement aesthetically. I never liked the quilted look on a motorcycle seat.

I was considering one of those seats until someone referred to it as the pillion ejector seat.

Ciao 
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 02:35:50 pm
Great Info. Question, did you need to replace any of the cables?  I, like you, would like a little more rise and pull back on the bars, I feel i'm leaning in a bit.

With a little re-routing of cables I was able to fit Emgo #10 flat track bars in 1" pull-back Motone risers.  I think a couple of forum members have done the same mod with success.

rex81

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 07:55:34 pm
With a little re-routing of cables I was able to fit Emgo #10 flat track bars in 1" pull-back Motone risers.  I think a couple of forum members have done the same mod with success.

Indeed, with the EMGO No. 10 bars, the only modification needed was rerouting the throttle cable around (in front) of the frame. Note that I also abandoned the screw in bar-ends on the old bars. You may be able to salvage them for the new bars (I'm not sure how they're mounted into the old bars), but I just installed bar end mirrors instead.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 08:59:25 pm
Sounds like the OP is a candidate for the (presumably) forthcoming Meteor 650
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

rex81

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 10:01:32 pm
Sounds like the OP is a candidate for the (presumably) forthcoming Meteor 650

It's true. I may have bought the Interceptor too soon, being completely unaware that RE had other models in the works. I'd even take a look at the new Classic 350. I really enjoyed the look and feel of the Classic 500, and told myself that if it had a counterbalanced engine, better brakes and a quality feel, it would be just about perfect. We shall see.

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 01:33:24 am
 Thanks for the info.  "With a little re-routing of cables I was able to fit Emgo #10 flat track bars in 1" pull-back Motone risers.  I think a couple of forum members have done the same mod with success"
I'm bang on 6ft, I find the riding triangle fine,except that bit of a lean forward with the wideish bars. Just feels a little odd...

08crd

• Bulleteer
  • Western Australia
Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 01:35:13 am

-
I've pretty well done the same as you, I added the Tec 40mm footpeg relocator last weekend, I probably wouldn't bother if I had the time over again, there is only a marginal improvement over the Hitchcocks and the pegs move even further out.

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
  • it all starts with an idea
Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 02:58:22 pm

I can second the touring seat and the up-and-over risers (I used the Motone units).

Did you reuse the stock grips? If so, how do you get them off? (sorry, newb question, but the LHS appears to be glued on and not sure how to get it off...)

Did you consider adding heated grips? You can apparently power them with the accessory harness in the headlight bucket.
2021 CGT650 "Project MLG" | 2021 INT650 "Rocketeer" | 2019 Janus Gryffin #030

rex81

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 07:24:15 pm

Did you reuse the stock grips? If so, how do you get them off? (sorry, newb question, but the LHS appears to be glued on and not sure how to get it off...)

Did you consider adding heated grips? You can apparently power them with the accessory harness in the headlight bucket.

Yes, I reused the stock grips. I just stuck a long #1 phillips screwdriver between the grip and the bar (don't worry, the grips are tough and won't puncture) and sprayed some WD-40 in there, then moved the screwdriver around and shot in again. They slid right off.

I didn't consider heated grips. I don't do much cold-weather riding.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 09:34:31 pm
If you use the #1 Phillips as a probe to loosen the grips be aware the right side throttle tube is very brittle plastic and it's quite easy to  break it. 

Nor75850

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 10:46:24 pm
Did you have to change clutch or brake lines when you added the handlebar risers ?

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 11:41:21 pm
Did you have to change clutch or brake lines when you added the handlebar risers ?

I didn't need to change any cables but I did some simple re-routing.  Sorry I don't recall which ones which I moved but it becomes obvious right away.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 11:47:20 pm
I can second the touring seat and the up-and-over risers (I used the Motone units).

The easiest way to remove and install grips is to use compressed air. Insert the narrow nozzle of the compressor gun between the grip and the throttle sleeve or handle bar and apply pressure. The grip inflates to a small extent and you can then just slide it off. Similar technique for installation. Then a few turns of lockwire around the grip at each end and they are super secure but easily removeable. 

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 11:49:18 pm
The easiest way to remove and install grips is to use compressed air. Insert the narrow nozzle of the compressor gun between the grip and the throttle sleeve or handle bar and apply pressure. The grip inflates to a small extent and you can then just slide it off. Similar technique for installation. Then a few turns of lockwire around the grip at each end and they are super secure but easily removeable.

Duly noted, thx!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 11:12:45 pm

Ciao
A little diluted dishwashing liquid helps as well if you’re having difficulty. Don’t overdo it though.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 11:56:19 pm
WD-40 does the deed and evaporates. 

rex81

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: July 29, 2021, 01:41:01 pm

No need to change lines. The throttle cable had to move in front of the fork as I recall, but that's easy enough to accomplish.

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: August 01, 2021, 10:35:10 am
Hey all,

Are the bars are EMGO Chrome #10 Flat Track Handlebar 23-12581
Cheers
Pete

rex81

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 01:50:32 pm
Hey all,

Are the bars are EMGO Chrome #10 Flat Track Handlebar 23-12581
Cheers
Pete

Yes, those are the ones. Guaranteed to work well. However, if I had the chance to do it over again, I might choose the 23-12583 instead. The 12581 are WAY too wide, so you'll definitely need to shave off a couple inches, and I think i'd like even a little more pullback that what I'm getting with the 12581.  The 12583 are about the right width stock, and 2" more pullback. 

https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/chrome-flat-track-handlebar-23-12583.p5901870.prd/5901870.sku?cid=384086846&aid=1304021006436136&keyword=4585100930732546%3A%3A&kid=4585100930732546&msclkid=991f19bc453215c2102578bbac202bfd&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_term=4585100930732546&utm_content=All+Products

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: August 04, 2021, 12:56:12 am
WD-40 does the deed and evaporates.
I was fitting Grip Puppies and worried that WD 40 might break down the foam

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #36 on: August 04, 2021, 02:00:41 am
I wouldn't be concerned.....but danger is my business 8)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: August 04, 2021, 11:55:29 am
I wouldn't be concerned.....but danger is my business 8)
‘Cool Mc’cool?’… I think?

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: August 05, 2021, 03:22:44 am

Same as my '21.  16T on its way from Hitchcock's.
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: August 05, 2021, 10:01:46 am
Thanks rex81. Good info

FormerStar

• The guy who does the thing
  • Scooter
Reply #40 on: August 11, 2021, 01:49:12 am
If you wnat to improve your wifes comfort issues you need one of these later style OEM seats. Firmer and 20mm higher for the pillion. Around $135usd from India on Flebay.

Ciao

Are you saying the only difference in height is in the pillion position? I ask because the seat looks flat (and really good!) in your attached photo.

I wouldn't mind some extra seat height up front, as it may open up the angle at which my knees need to bend, but I think pegs and bars would do more to alleviate the crunched-up position (I'm only 6' 1", but my '68 BSA had the pegs adjusted way down, and slightly higher, pulled-back bars).

You also mention it's firmer than the standard (Interceptor) seat, yet I find the standard seat a bit hard -- although maybe I'm just squashing the padding, which could make it feel like that.

Nice looking seat. Even if it sits the same as the standard (diamond-quilted) one, I might consider buying it purely to improve the aesthetics.
Had a BSA Royal Star, now I have a Royal Enfield.

Still Royal, but no longer a star.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: August 11, 2021, 03:30:19 am

Are you saying the only difference in height is in the pillion position? I ask because the seat looks flat (and really good!) in your attached photo.

I wouldn't mind some extra seat height up front, as it may open up the angle at which my knees need to bend, but I think pegs and bars would do more to alleviate the crunched-up position (I'm only 6' 1", but my '68 BSA had the pegs adjusted way down, and slightly higher, pulled-back bars).

You also mention it's firmer than the standard (Interceptor) seat, yet I find the standard seat a bit hard -- although maybe I'm just squashing the padding, which could make it feel like that.

Nice looking seat. Even if it sits the same as the standard (diamond-quilted) one, I might consider buying it purely to improve the aesthetics.

It has extra height for the pillion and the rider, 20mm and 15mm respectively and a more rounded top. So you get better support and less knee bend more so for the pillion which is a common complaint but also for the rider. Feels more supportive to my arse but I'm not doing long rides, around an hour max in the saddle. They are selling for around $150usd these days, a bit cheaper than I paid, bargain I reccon. I'm 6'2" btw. 

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

FormerStar

• The guy who does the thing
  • Scooter
Reply #42 on: August 11, 2021, 04:02:05 am
Thanks for the reply.

I've had the bike for exactly one month, and I think my first modification is coming up!
Had a BSA Royal Star, now I have a Royal Enfield.

Still Royal, but no longer a star.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: August 24, 2021, 04:10:34 am
Yes, those are the ones. Guaranteed to work well. However, if I had the chance to do it over again, I might choose the 23-12583 instead. The 12581 are WAY too wide, so you'll definitely need to shave off a couple inches, and I think i'd like even a little more pullback that what I'm getting with the 12581.  The 12583 are about the right width stock, and 2" more pullback. 

I had purchased the #10s but they looked minimally different from stock so I held off on installing those and bought the 12583s.  Great recommendation as these gave nice pullback, and matched the stock width after cutting off 2 inches from each end.  I also have the HCM handlebar adapters that add an inch of lift/pullback. Overall great combination and the reach feels very similar to my Classic 500. Thanks once again for your recommendations.

I had to move the throttle cables, brake hose, and wiring on both sides behind the fork tubes and it came out great. The clutch cable is the only thing that stayed in stock location. There is a fair bit of slack in the wires if you open the headlight bucket and disconnect and reroute the wires.

Nothing touches the fuel tank….it would have been extremely close for the throttle cable without the added lift of the HCM adapter.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 04:22:02 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: August 24, 2021, 06:38:48 am
Great info again, thanks.  Any photos of the bike with the new 'bars?

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: August 24, 2021, 02:04:35 pm
I had purchased the #10s but they looked minimally different from stock so I held off on installing those and bought the 12583s.  Great recommendation as these gave nice pullback, and matched the stock width after cutting off 2 inches from each end.  I also have the HCM handlebar adapters that add an inch of lift/pullback. Overall great combination and the reach feels very similar to my Classic 500. Thanks once again for your recommendations.

I had to move the throttle cables, brake hose, and wiring on both sides behind the fork tubes and it came out great. The clutch cable is the only thing that stayed in stock location. There is a fair bit of slack in the wires if you open the headlight bucket and disconnect and reroute the wires.

Nothing touches the fuel tank….it would have been extremely close for the throttle cable without the added lift of the HCM adapter.

This sounds very much like the same results I was able to achieve by purchasing the genuine Royal Enfield Meteor handle bars from my local dealer for a whopping USD$24.95. Anyone interested in that approach can read about my installation starting here.

{EDIT}
I should add that I have since removed the cheap aftermarket crossbar mentioned in my thread and depcited in those photos. I decide the styling didn't suit the bike, and found on a longish ride that the Marlins clock wasn't quite positioned where I would prefer it (too high up, required to much "chin tuck" to read the clock while driving). The clock is now attached directly to the bar between the clamps, and is much more natural to read, as it is closer to the gauges and my custom solution for mounting the Beeline GPS. Removing the crossbar had no discernable effect on vibration, either in my hands or at the bar-end mirrors.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:13:38 pm by ideola »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: August 24, 2021, 11:30:52 pm
Great info again, thanks.  Any photos of the bike with the new 'bars?
I have a few more bits to install and will post a photo this weekend. Thanks.
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: August 24, 2021, 11:48:28 pm
This sounds very much like the same results I was able to achieve by purchasing the genuine Royal Enfield Meteor handle bars from my local dealer for a whopping USD$24.95. Anyone interested in that approach can read about my installation starting here.

I didn’t check with the dealer and didn’t want to spend $85 on eBay…..ended up buying two Emgo bars for $35 each and #10 will join my failed experiments collection 🙂

The Emgo has a lot more angulation on the pullback than my meteor bars…probably 2 more inches…end result with both is likely very similar. Thanks for sharing photos.
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: August 31, 2021, 04:37:26 am
As promised Emgo 12583 photos. Bars were rolled downwards slightly for a comfortable alignment with the wrist. 2 inches were cut off at each end of the bar, and holes were drilled at the highest part of the curvature for the switch anti-rotation nubbins to fit into. The distances of both holes from the ends of the OEM bar are different, so please measure both sides before drilling. These are really comfortable and I’m glad that I didn’t put the #10s. I did reinstall the crossbar as it is really heavy duty and I didn’t feel like wasting it. Zero vibrations and no negative impact on handling with these Emgos….did some nice twisty backroads and the bike felt great. Vintage helmet lock covered up the serrations on the middle section pretty nicely. The napoleon bar end mirrors will likely get changed to something else…..thank to the forum friends for info on the new brake and clutch levers.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:39:35 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: September 01, 2021, 04:39:14 am
Thanks for the info, and the photos.  Appreciated.

Gene_Collinassi

• Scooter
Reply #50 on: April 09, 2022, 04:26:38 pm
Hello guys, I'm a new member.

I've been reading posts here for quite a while, before getting my Interceptor 650 about 3 weeks ago. I've already covered 1800 kms and I wholeheartedly agree with the needed 'relaxation' of the bike.

Has anyone thought of putting small buckhorns handlebars?
Something like these: https://barcrafthandlebars.com.au/products/buckhorn-black-7-8-handlebars
Not obnoxious, and probably quite comfy with the correct risers.

They were pretty common in the late 60s, early 70s, and should be period-correct on a few Bonnies. Not on the original Interceptor, though, even though the original bars did look pretty comfy:

2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 E5

Former bikes:
2008 Yamaha XJR1300
2004 Moto Guzzi Griso 850 2V
1996 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750
1982 Piaggio 50cc moped

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: April 09, 2022, 10:06:09 pm
Seems like quite a few of you should just wait for the cruiser version rather than buy an interceptor and modify it.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: April 09, 2022, 10:16:29 pm
Seems like quite a few of you should just wait for the cruiser version rather than buy an interceptor and modify it.
I think we will see 4 or 5 variations on the 650.
Classic(Interceptor), Café(GT), Cruiser (TBD), Bobber(Shotgun?) & Scrambler(Scram650?)
 Until then, if you want the 650twin in anything other than Classic or Café, you will need to mod it yourself.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #53 on: April 09, 2022, 10:54:06 pm
Hello guys, I'm a new member.

I've been reading posts here for quite a while, before getting my Interceptor 650 about 3 weeks ago. I've already covered 1800 kms and I wholeheartedly agree with the needed 'relaxation' of the bike.

Has anyone thought of putting small buckhorns handlebars?
Something like these: https://barcrafthandlebars.com.au/products/buckhorn-black-7-8-handlebars
Not obnoxious, and probably quite comfy with the correct risers.

They were pretty common in the late 60s, early 70s, and should be period-correct on a few Bonnies. Not on the original Interceptor, though, even though the original bars did look pretty comfy:
Hello, Welcome,
Those handlebars are generally called "Western" bars over here. And yup they are very comfortable. Very nice for thode gentlemanly country cruises.   Some of the accessory retailers list all the dimensions of the ones they sell (as does the ones you linked to). There are enough size / shape choices that you don't really need risers.
And yup, I had a '60s BSA Royal Star with handlebars very much like those. Just keep in mind cable lengths and cable routing, etc.

Gene_Collinassi

• Scooter
Reply #54 on: April 10, 2022, 08:39:25 pm

Aye, it could be true!
My take on the modification process is that the Interceptor looks like a classic 60s/70s British bike, but has with a more modern "forward" riding position, which may not be to everyone taste. I don't mind at all riding it in standard trim  :D but for my height (not a big boy, 5"8 ), and arms reach, putting on bars with a rearward bend (like the bars from the original 60s Interceptor) would feel more natural.

I know this example is pretty far-fetched, but bear with me: I had a Guzzi Griso 850 years ago, and that bike is quite well known for its pronounced forward riding position. When I rode that bike for some hours, on medim and long trips, I'd get some back pain (nothing big, just noticeable). The standard Interceptor is giving me similar signals.

Long story short, I'm now checking Fehling/TRW/LSL/Biltwell/BAAK catalogues to comparing measureaments   ;) .
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 08:46:19 pm by Gene_Collinassi »
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 E5

Former bikes:
2008 Yamaha XJR1300
2004 Moto Guzzi Griso 850 2V
1996 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750
1982 Piaggio 50cc moped

turboduck

• Scooter
Reply #55 on: June 16, 2022, 09:51:29 am
Aye, it could be true!
My take on the modification process is that the Interceptor looks like a classic 60s/70s British bike, but has with a more modern "forward" riding position, which may not be to everyone taste. I don't mind at all riding it in standard trim  :D but for my height (not a big boy, 5"8 ), and arms reach, putting on bars with a rearward bend (like the bars from the original 60s Interceptor) would feel more natural.

I agree with this. I got similar height (5'8"-ish). Thanks to the OP and this thread, I've decided to go with a higher bar with more pullback. Together with Hitchcock's  footrest adjustment plate, my bike now feels very natural.

Just completed a 1000-ish km ride a few weeks ago and now no more shoulder/neck tension and leg cramps.

I did change to longer throttle + clutch cables though as the originals were too tight.

As a bonus (to me at least), the interceptor now looks more like a classic british bike with the tall, wide handlebar with slight pullback.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:07:56 am by turboduck »