Author Topic: replacing the turn indicators with LED....2 wires to 3 wires?  (Read 1005 times)

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
I see the original indicators have 2 wires going to the connectors.  My LED replacements have 3 wires.  Do I mate the black with the red, or the white?  Or how else is this done? 

2nd question....Can I keep the original front indicators or will they now be incompatible with the new relay I have?

hoping I can just wire the 3 wires somehow with the OEM connectors in the rear lamp casing...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:10:41 pm by Bagonne »

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
I think one of the wires is for running lights that I can omit.....but which one?  black red or white?

I'm thinking  there may not be a standard

which one of the original wires is ground?  the non striped one?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 07:01:19 pm by Bagonne »

Seatex

• Bulleteer
On my new LED lights, the white was for a running light. I only needed the red and black for the amber turn signal. You can always go touch them to a 12v battery to confirm. You may also need a new LED flasher due to differences in resistance as compared to stock. They are inexpensive on Amazon, and you can adjust the flash rate on many of the available choices.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
On my new LED lights, the white was for a running light. I only needed the red and black for the amber turn signal. You can always go touch them to a 12v battery to confirm. You may also need a new LED flasher due to differences in resistance as compared to stock. They are inexpensive on Amazon, and you can adjust the flash rate on many of the available choices.

thanks.  got the relay

robrobsen

• Scooter
You can keep the original front indicators. They’ll work with the new LED relay and you can have new rear LED indicators.
2020 Continental GT 650

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
You can keep the original front indicators. They’ll work with the new LED relay and you can have new rear LED indicators.

Good to know

Btw these have 2 colors. Black and white wires together is white light, black and red together is yellow..  according to the ebay seller.  So it is a two wire operation, sort of