Author Topic: adjusting chain snail tensioner  (Read 285 times)

Teddy

• Scooter
on: June 20, 2021, 08:43:33 am
Many of you possibly have found already a solution to the painful adjustment of the pre-ABS UCE models fitted with the cheap snail tensioner. It always killed my fingers to force the tensioner in the right position. You can nowhere grab hold onto the snail. Years ago a Honda I owned was fitted with them too but the snail tensioner had at least a bend up tag at the end to grab a spanner onto it. I want to go on a bigger trip (14000 km plus) with my 2016 around Australia in September. 16000km on the clock so far apart from a spark plug cap that short sparked and two 15Ah main fuses that blew out of no reason and do not want the struggle with the adjustment on the road.

Haggis

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 09:08:32 am
3/8 Square hole works as well.
Off route, recalculate?

johno

• Grease Monkey
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 10:02:54 am
I ditched mine soon after changing the first chain, I could never get the wheel parallel, I fitted the slide adjusters from Hitchcock, never looked back.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 02:40:00 pm
Yeah, I fitted these before I'd even ridden the bike!

3/8 Square hole works as well.

No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Laissez le bon temps rouler! Fresno, CA
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 10:39:22 pm
These? How do they work out for the QD wheels?

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Wheel-Adjusters/19190
PART No. 92693 ; REAR WHEEL ADJUSTERS (PAIR), NON-EFI MODELS ; £33.00 (Excl. VAT)
A set of wheel adjusters which replace the standard snail cams on the Bullets. It makes adjusting the chain much easier and more accurate. Plated finish. Suitable for non-EFI models. See fitment guide for details.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/various-wheels/20847
PART No. 92694 ; REAR WHEEL ADJUSTERS (PAIR), FOR EFI MODELS ; £33.00 (Excl. VAT)
A set of wheel adjusters which replace the standard snail cams on the Bullets. It makes adjusting the chain much easier and more accurate. Plated finish. Suitable for EFI models. See fitment guide for details.
A trifecta of Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Live slow, die whenever
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 11:59:15 pm
Nice mod! Haggis your one is classy, too.

A big lap on your Enfield will be an adventure! Have fun.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Laissez le bon temps rouler! Fresno, CA
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 01:06:00 am
Nice avatar upgrade!  :)
A trifecta of Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Live slow, die whenever
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 02:08:06 am
Thanks 😂
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

Teddy

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 08:26:29 am
Many thanks Guys for the feed-back.
I will keep you informed about the trip around OZ.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 07:34:06 am
I still have the original tensioners on my 2013. I adjust them with the axle slightly loose, then kick the wheel forward and tighten the axel nut. I then check the chain tension and wheel alignment. I check the wheel alignment with a marked rod, from the edge of the wheel rim to the inside edge of the swing arm and make sure they are the same on both sides. There have been a couple of times I needed to do it twice to get it perfect. WAY easier than adjusting the belt tension and wheel alignment on an H-D Sportster. I was unable to get both right at the same time. I finally gave up and took the bike to an independent Harley shop. I discovered they use TWO people for tis job.

If better tensioners are available for the Enfield then I recommend them. I also have a Yamaha XT225 dual sport bike with snail type adjusters, and I love them. They are spot on as far as wheel alignment goes, and easy to adjust. You just put them on the same notch, a little loose is better than too tight, and it's done. No need to check wheel alignment on that bike.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions'

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 07:57:17 pm
Enjoy your trip Teddy :) Look forward to reading (or seeing) about it.

Fwiw, I'm sure I've said before, but I must have got lucky with my snail cams. Seem bob on to me and not had an issue yet.

I count the notches and mark with a pencil where I need to be as I don't have fancy line and number markings like the others lol

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 10:12:59 pm
Enjoy your trip Teddy :) Look forward to reading (or seeing) about it.

Fwiw, I'm sure I've said before, but I must have got lucky with my snail cams. Seem bob on to me and not had an issue yet.

I count the notches and mark with a pencil where I need to be as I don't have fancy line and number markings like the others lol

Neither does mine. No markings on my snail. Just a bunch of shallow divots that barely hold the snail in place.  :(
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1