Author Topic: Retro or modern riding gear?  (Read 4823 times)

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 02:35:15 pm
He's a flexible sort I'd say.

drums4money

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: June 21, 2021, 03:36:49 pm
a little of both.
I like the Builtwell Gringo helmet with the bubble shield, but I also like the AGV K6 - one of the best helmets I've owned.
A couple of jackets - A high-vis Olympia with the full liner & overpants for damn-cold, a Revit textile jacket for damn-hot, and some in-between stuff for more moderate temps.  Gloves & Sidi boots.  No laces- that's a dangerous loop-hole.

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 04:17:36 pm
When I was younger I did not have the money, so I would go with inexpensive quality...

Now, I prefer to have a plush helmet, and this time I selected the integrated intercom. It is worth it to spend more money on something that feels more comfortable and keeps your dome protected.

Shoei GT Air II Helmet ($600+). Dainese Leather Jacket. Modern as it gets.... I think  ::)
2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 05:56:25 pm
Who can argue with spending on a premium helmet?   Who cares about "retro" or modern,  it's your head Fred.

I was lucky to get a new Schuberth lid as a gift.  It's a pleasure to use and is markedly better than my two Biltwells when it comes to noise and fine aspects of fit.

In terms of jackets, gloves, boots, and the rest of it there's plenty of gear available these days with a strong old school visual vibe but up to date abrasion resistance and D-30 or similar armor. 

If you like the 60's look check out the Merlin Heritage line.

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: June 21, 2021, 06:19:06 pm
Obviously protection and quality are the primary concern, but I appreciate that one can choose retro styles without compromising the aforementioned traits.
Thanks for the tip on Merlin. I was unaware of them.

https://www.merlinbikegear.com/

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 06:29:56 pm
When I was younger I did not have the money, so I would go with inexpensive quality...

Now, I prefer to have a plush helmet, and this time I selected the integrated intercom. It is worth it to spend more money on something that feels more comfortable and keeps your dome protected.

Shoei GT Air II Helmet ($600+). Dainese Leather Jacket. Modern as it gets.... I think  ::)
I think I will go with a modular for my next helmet, a few years from now. I will enjoy not having to take my entire helmet off to re-hydrate on hot days. I'll lose the SNELL rating, but I'm not doing track days so I should be ok with DOT and ECE.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 06:48:53 pm
+1 on modular lids.  They've improved a lot in the last few years.  My Schuberth is a C3 Pro modular and I've come to really like the flip up feature.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 07:03:06 pm
+1 on modular lids.  They've improved a lot in the last few years.  My Schuberth is a C3 Pro modular and I've come to really like the flip up feature.
Yep. How's the weight on the Schuberth? One thing I love about my RF-1200 is the weight is quite manageable, and the shape is good for lane checks (not a lot of snapping backwards in the wind stream). I didn't try on the Neotec II but in retrospect I should have.

My BMW riding friends swear by their Schuberths.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 07:43:06 pm
Just weighed it at 3.6 lbs. in size L.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #39 on: June 21, 2021, 07:52:36 pm
Just weighed it at 3.6 lbs. in size L.

Nice, that's exactly the same as my size M RF-1200. Will put on the list to compare with the Neotec II (or Neotec III, when it comes out) when I replace my lid.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #40 on: June 21, 2021, 08:50:05 pm
+1 on modular lids.  They've improved a lot in the last few years.  Mylomg  modular and I've come to really like the flip up feature.

I don't know the exact model, but I expect my next brain bucket will be one of those Schuberth modular ones similar to what you describe. I've long admired the design since seeing Ed March of C90 Adventures fame banging around with one in Mexico and South America. I do own a couple of rarely-used full face ones, but mostly just plod around with a Bell open face with a sort of Chinese snap-on flip type visor.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #41 on: June 21, 2021, 09:27:26 pm
Our Coppers here in South Australian wear them.(as do I)
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

drums4money

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: June 22, 2021, 12:47:24 am
Who can argue with spending on a premium helmet?   Who cares about "retro" or modern,  it's your head Fred.

I was lucky to get a new Schuberth lid as a gift.  It's a pleasure to use and is markedly better than my two Biltwells when it comes to noise and fine aspects of fit.

In terms of jackets, gloves, boots, and the rest of it there's plenty of gear available these days with a strong old school visual vibe but up to date abrasion resistance and D-30 or similar armor. 

If you like the 60's look check out the Merlin Heritage line.
Good call... Merlin's a great value.

My Merlin is especially well made.  Short in the arms by the slightest bit, but it's too nice to return & the right gloves do the trick. 
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #43 on: June 22, 2021, 01:09:22 am
I recently bought a Merlin "retro mesh" jacket for hot weather.  Waxed cotton 60's  look with mesh panels and D-30 elbows shoulder, and back protection. It's a nice piece.

Urban Rider in London has most all the Merlin line at good prices and quick shipping.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #44 on: June 22, 2021, 03:13:37 am
I recently bought a Merlin "retro mesh" jacket for hot weather.  Waxed cotton 60's  look with mesh panels and D-30 elbows shoulder, and back protection. It's a nice piece.

Urban Rider in London has most all the Merlin line at good prices and quick shipping.

That a good looking jacket! Love it. That'd be a good replacement for my worn out Dririder Manx jacket that is sadly no longer available.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E