Author Topic: Retro or modern riding gear?  (Read 4956 times)

Seatex

• Bulleteer
on: June 20, 2021, 04:36:33 am
Just curious about what folks wear when they ride. I just purchased a (new) 70's style helmet and it made me wonder a bit about others. I know many of us bought our RE because they have, for lack of a better word, "soul". These bikes capture and era and experience while providing EFI and ABS at a very attractive price point.
So do y'all carry over that nostalgia into your riding gear, or do you favor modern styles, armor (yes, I use the American spelling), etc. ?
I'm personally very excited about my new (arriving soon) Torc T1. I think the gold color will nicely compliment the gold stripes on my tank.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 05:22:40 am
i have various biltwell (retro) helmets but also a more modern bell helmet. they range from DOT only to ECE rated. the newest biltwell retro helmets are ECE rated too which is great.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 06:19:09 am
Just curious about what folks wear when they ride. I just purchased a (new) 70's style helmet and it made me wonder a bit about others. I know many of us bought our RE because they have, for lack of a better word, "soul". These bikes capture and era and experience while providing EFI and ABS at a very attractive price point.
So do y'all carry over that nostalgia into your riding gear, or do you favor modern styles, armor (yes, I use the American spelling), etc. ?
I'm personally very excited about my new (arriving soon) Torc T1. I think the gold color will nicely compliment the gold stripes on my tank.
That’s my kind of helmet!
I’m fighting the urge to go open face, having experienced some recent face surgery and now being aware of how discomforting face injuries are. As far as retro, (I’ve got the Black Magic) how’d you like the jacket I’m currently favouring? Lovely old WW2 style sheepskin bomber jacket. My missus laughs at me, but I dig it! Love the retro vibe and the accompanying fantasy!😁
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:21:34 am by Starpeve »
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 06:35:40 am
I used to have one just like it. I honestly wish I knew what happened to it. Maybe it is in storage somewhere. Got it at Wilson leathers a long time ago. My wife and two (at the time very young) sons all got the same coat. I used to wear it when I rode my 1975 Honda CB 550. Good times!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 06:40:19 am
I used to have one just like it. I honestly wish I knew what happened to it. Maybe it is in storage somewhere. Got it at Wilson leathers a long time ago. My wife and two (at the time very young) sons all got the same coat. I used to wear it when I rode my 1975 Honda CB 550. Good times!
My other choice, for more interesting riding! is a tailored 2 piece brown leather suit from Adelaide’s Waldon Miller, circa 1979, resplendent with my 40 years of battle scars. When I can squeeze into it!😩

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 06:50:10 am
Wear whatever you want, as long as you are properly protected.
It's not worth the risk, you don't get a second opportunity to find how good your safety equipment is.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 07:18:22 am
I’m fighting the urge to go open face, having experienced some recent face surgery and now being aware of how discomforting face injuries are.

About the best open face helmet you can get is made by Arai. In recent years, they have created an open face model that has extended chin protection design, flip up face shield and visor. Not cheap, but what's your head worth?

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 07:23:19 am
I usually wear an open face with drop down tinted visor and some kind of neck muff/face mask arrangement, kevlar lined pants, hiking boots, and either retro looking textile, leather Brando style or waxed cotton Dririder jacket, depending on weather, mood etc.

Touring, I'm wearing the textile jacket ('cause waterproof and insulated if needs be) and matching textile touring pants with boots. Kabuto Kamui full face lid.

If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll chuck on the Berik onesie and road race boots but it does look a bit daft on a classic bike away from the track.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 07:33:24 am
About the best open face helmet you can get is made by Arai. In recent years, they have created an open face model that has extended chin protection design, flip up face shield and visor. Not cheap, but what's your head worth?
Might as well wear a full face with all those accoutrements!

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 08:04:12 am
Wow Gizzo I didn't know you looked like Gumby
Previously "Haggisman"

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 08:07:29 am
this is the helmet i wore to the last distinguished gentlemans ride

Dutch Rider

• Grease Monkey
  • Netherlands
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 08:52:05 am
this is the helmet i wore to the last distinguished gentlemans ride

Daft Punk style.... ;D
RE Interceptor, 2021.
Ducati Mille MHR Special, 1985.
Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, 1973.
Garelli Record 50CC, 1969.

Dutch Rider

• Grease Monkey
  • Netherlands
RE Interceptor, 2021.
Ducati Mille MHR Special, 1985.
Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, 1973.
Garelli Record 50CC, 1969.

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 09:46:01 am
I use a full face on the 650, but need an open face on the classic...cant see the speedo with a full face on when riding the thumper...
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 10:15:41 am
Back in the late seventies when I was wearing open faced helmets, my brother in law was wearing a full face helmet.
He had an accident when he had a front tyre go flat. He landed face first in the road, the front of the helmet was all chewed up but it did it's job and he was un marked. My helmet went in the bin the next day. I wouldn't ride a bike without a full face helmet. When parts of you and the road meet there is only one winner.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.