Author Topic: Retro or modern riding gear?  (Read 808 times)

Seatex

• Scooter
on: June 20, 2021, 04:36:33 am
Just curious about what folks wear when they ride. I just purchased a (new) 70's style helmet and it made me wonder a bit about others. I know many of us bought our RE because they have, for lack of a better word, "soul". These bikes capture and era and experience while providing EFI and ABS at a very attractive price point.
So do y'all carry over that nostalgia into your riding gear, or do you favor modern styles, armor (yes, I use the American spelling), etc. ?
I'm personally very excited about my new (arriving soon) Torc T1. I think the gold color will nicely compliment the gold stripes on my tank.

iblastoff

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 05:22:40 am
i have various biltwell (retro) helmets but also a more modern bell helmet. they range from DOT only to ECE rated. the newest biltwell retro helmets are ECE rated too which is great.
2021 Mr Clean GT650 | 2016 Ducati Scrambler

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 06:19:09 am
Just curious about what folks wear when they ride. I just purchased a (new) 70's style helmet and it made me wonder a bit about others. I know many of us bought our RE because they have, for lack of a better word, "soul". These bikes capture and era and experience while providing EFI and ABS at a very attractive price point.
So do y'all carry over that nostalgia into your riding gear, or do you favor modern styles, armor (yes, I use the American spelling), etc. ?
I'm personally very excited about my new (arriving soon) Torc T1. I think the gold color will nicely compliment the gold stripes on my tank.
That’s my kind of helmet!
I’m fighting the urge to go open face, having experienced some recent face surgery and now being aware of how discomforting face injuries are. As far as retro, (I’ve got the Black Magic) how’d you like the jacket I’m currently favouring? Lovely old WW2 style sheepskin bomber jacket. My missus laughs at me, but I dig it! Love the retro vibe and the accompanying fantasy!😁
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:21:34 am by Starpeve »
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Seatex

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 06:35:40 am
I used to have one just like it. I honestly wish I knew what happened to it. Maybe it is in storage somewhere. Got it at Wilson leathers a long time ago. My wife and two (at the time very young) sons all got the same coat. I used to wear it when I rode my 1975 Honda CB 550. Good times!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 06:40:19 am
I used to have one just like it. I honestly wish I knew what happened to it. Maybe it is in storage somewhere. Got it at Wilson leathers a long time ago. My wife and two (at the time very young) sons all got the same coat. I used to wear it when I rode my 1975 Honda CB 550. Good times!
My other choice, for more interesting riding! is a tailored 2 piece brown leather suit from Adelaide’s Waldon Miller, circa 1979, resplendent with my 40 years of battle scars. When I can squeeze into it!😩

CPJS

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 06:50:10 am
Wear whatever you want, as long as you are properly protected.
It's not worth the risk, you don't get a second opportunity to find how good your safety equipment is.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
Honda CRF250L
BSA B25SS

Still young enough not to care, too old to remember why.

Dexter

• Bulleteer
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 07:18:22 am
I’m fighting the urge to go open face, having experienced some recent face surgery and now being aware of how discomforting face injuries are.

About the best open face helmet you can get is made by Arai. In recent years, they have created an open face model that has extended chin protection design, flip up face shield and visor. Not cheap, but what's your head worth?

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100

Current ride:
1996 Honda ST1100

Prospective new ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Live slow, die whenever
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 07:23:19 am
I usually wear an open face with drop down tinted visor and some kind of neck muff/face mask arrangement, kevlar lined pants, hiking boots, and either retro looking textile, leather Brando style or waxed cotton Dririder jacket, depending on weather, mood etc.

Touring, I'm wearing the textile jacket ('cause waterproof and insulated if needs be) and matching textile touring pants with boots. Kabuto Kamui full face lid.

If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll chuck on the Berik onesie and road race boots but it does look a bit daft on a classic bike away from the track.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 07:33:24 am
About the best open face helmet you can get is made by Arai. In recent years, they have created an open face model that has extended chin protection design, flip up face shield and visor. Not cheap, but what's your head worth?
Might as well wear a full face with all those accoutrements!

Haggisman2

• Scooter
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 08:04:12 am
Wow Gizzo I didn't know you looked like Gumby
Previously "Haggisman"

iblastoff

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 08:07:29 am
this is the helmet i wore to the last distinguished gentlemans ride

Dutch Rider

• Bulleteer
  • Netherlands
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 08:52:05 am
this is the helmet i wore to the last distinguished gentlemans ride

Daft Punk style.... ;D
RE Interceptor, 2021.
Ducati Mille MHR Special, 1985.
Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, 1973.
Garelli Record 50CC, 1969.

Dutch Rider

• Bulleteer
  • Netherlands
RE Interceptor, 2021.

beagle

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 09:46:01 am
I use a full face on the 650, but need an open face on the classic...cant see the speedo with a full face on when riding the thumper...
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

CPJS

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 10:15:41 am
Back in the late seventies when I was wearing open faced helmets, my brother in law was wearing a full face helmet.
He had an accident when he had a front tyre go flat. He landed face first in the road, the front of the helmet was all chewed up but it did it's job and he was un marked. My helmet went in the bin the next day. I wouldn't ride a bike without a full face helmet. When parts of you and the road meet there is only one winner.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
Honda CRF250L
BSA B25SS

Still young enough not to care, too old to remember why.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 10:30:56 am
Back in the late seventies when I was wearing open faced helmets, my brother in law was wearing a full face helmet.
He had an accident when he had a front tyre go flat. He landed face first in the road, the front of the helmet was all chewed up but it did it's job and he was un marked. My helmet went in the bin the next day. I wouldn't ride a bike without a full face helmet. When parts of you and the road meet there is only one winner.
True story. In the late 70’s all of my crowd wore full faces. Wouldn’t be seen dead in one of those crappy old opens. Except for 1 friend. Then he bought a big Suzi and all the kit to suit, including new Bell full face.
A couple of months later, he was run off the road, hit a tree whilst airborne over a bank, and copped a tree branch straight through his visor. Massive damage, top jaw broken away from skull, etc. recovered, thankfully, but a long road back.
We’d ribbed him for ages about his open face helmet, then this!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 10:45:01 am
Yeah,  you think you know someone, huh?  ;D
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 12:21:37 pm
Back in the late sixties, for enduros a few of us added (American) football face guards to our open face helmets. The objective then was protection from tree branches in the woods.
    I'd love to have a full face with a clear acrylic chin guard.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 12:35:11 pm
Most of my riding gear is probably older than a lot of the forum members.  ;D
Because I wear glasses I find an open face helmet with flat shield to be the most comfortable option. But I do wear full face helmets on occasion and a full face MX style helmet in the woods.

My go to jackets are an old Joe Rocket textile/leather in the warm months, a Belstaff in the fall, and a First Gear textile in "fire truck green" for touring and general chilly weather use. I wear SIDI boots that are almost 40 years old or work boots depending on my mood. And for gloves I wear deerskin in the summer, and lined dedicated winter riding gloves from Alpine Star in the cold.

FWIW I replace my helmets every 3-5 years. Or whenever they hit the ground.

Steve Jackson

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 02:00:57 pm
I use this picture to keep the rodents away. Bell open face with goggles over glasses. I really wanted a more WW II look but was afraid they wouldn't be compatible with the glasses. I have an Arai full face also, but have very thin titanium frameless glasses which are a pain to thread into the helmet.
We're not happy till you're not happy.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 02:12:26 pm
Yeah,  you think you know someone, huh?  ;D

Well gizzo, I have to say that I find your new look strangely attractive.  It's very brave to reveal "your truth" ;D

Know-it-alls and blowhards will please go elsewhere.

Seatex

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 02:31:56 pm
I usually wear an open face with drop down tinted visor and some kind of neck muff/face mask arrangement, kevlar lined pants, hiking boots, and either retro looking textile, leather Brando style or waxed cotton Dririder jacket, depending on weather, mood etc.

Touring, I'm wearing the textile jacket ('cause waterproof and insulated if needs be) and matching textile touring pants with boots. Kabuto Kamui full face lid.

If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll chuck on the Berik onesie and road race boots but it does look a bit daft on a classic bike away from the track.
I love waxed cotton jackets. I went with a Walker and Hawkes (not motorcycle specific) because I'm too cheap to get the Barbour. While it would look great when riding a Royal Enfield, I may never do so. I ride for pleasure and live in Texas where I get enough sunny days that I can be selective about the conditions I ride in.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 02:36:13 pm
Well gizzo, I have to say that I find your new look strangely attractive.  It's very brave to reveal "your truth" ;D

Thanks, Mr Straw. I am a good looking rooster. But it's hard to find a good fitting helmet with a head shaped like the back end of a boogie board.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 06:00:24 pm

C'mon! We all know  what he's into...

That horse ain't the only one who's "Pokey".

But getting back on topic, by coincidence I just happen to be rewaxing my old Belstaff Trialmaster today. So, I suppose you can tick me off in the "retro gear" column, though I do have some clearance-bought mesh thing for summers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:23:57 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

(Legal enough to pass muster if they don't look too closely in Woodbridge, Virginia, where the buses don't run at night, holidays or weekends and I'm a contender for 'Village Idiot')

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2021, 06:45:51 pm

I went the other direction, sorta. Modern Shoei RF1200 and Alpinestars Leonis Drystar jacket in black/hi-viz. I do wear riding jeans and Falco Aviator boots. So I guess it's kind of a mix between retro and modern.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:48:25 pm by mwmosser »
2019 RE INT 650 Mark Three

Dutch Rider

• Bulleteer
  • Netherlands
RE Interceptor, 2021.

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 07:01:30 pm
function over form for me. all the gear always. full face etc. I did wear a belstaff waxed cotton jacket/pants at one time. It's been in the closet for 30 years. Just sold it on ebay. Buyer was happy, was impressed with the quality of yesteryear.

ha those are cool condoms!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 07:06:41 pm by ceekay »
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 20, 2021, 10:25:51 pm
C'mon! We all know  what he's into...

That horse ain't the only one who's "Pokey".

That's not the helmet I was thinking of....
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 11:48:40 pm
That's not the helmet I was thinking of....
Maybe Gumby’s mate Pokey would be more desirable….?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: June 20, 2021, 11:53:36 pm
Pokey's a good sport.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 02:35:15 pm
He's a flexible sort I'd say.

drums4money

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: June 21, 2021, 03:36:49 pm
a little of both.
I like the Builtwell Gringo helmet with the bubble shield, but I also like the AGV K6 - one of the best helmets I've owned.
A couple of jackets - A high-vis Olympia with the full liner & overpants for damn-cold, a Revit textile jacket for damn-hot, and some in-between stuff for more moderate temps.  Gloves & Sidi boots.  No laces- that's a dangerous loop-hole.

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.

BlackIce619

• Bulleteer
  • California
Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 04:17:36 pm
When I was younger I did not have the money, so I would go with inexpensive quality...

Now, I prefer to have a plush helmet, and this time I selected the integrated intercom. It is worth it to spend more money on something that feels more comfortable and keeps your dome protected.

Shoei GT Air II Helmet ($600+). Dainese Leather Jacket. Modern as it gets.... I think  ::)
2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 05:56:25 pm
Who can argue with spending on a premium helmet?   Who cares about "retro" or modern,  it's your head Fred.

I was lucky to get a new Schuberth lid as a gift.  It's a pleasure to use and is markedly better than my two Biltwells when it comes to noise and fine aspects of fit.

In terms of jackets, gloves, boots, and the rest of it there's plenty of gear available these days with a strong old school visual vibe but up to date abrasion resistance and D-30 or similar armor. 

If you like the 60's look check out the Merlin Heritage line.

Seatex

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: June 21, 2021, 06:19:06 pm
Obviously protection and quality are the primary concern, but I appreciate that one can choose retro styles without compromising the aforementioned traits.
Thanks for the tip on Merlin. I was unaware of them.

https://www.merlinbikegear.com/

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 06:29:56 pm
When I was younger I did not have the money, so I would go with inexpensive quality...

Now, I prefer to have a plush helmet, and this time I selected the integrated intercom. It is worth it to spend more money on something that feels more comfortable and keeps your dome protected.

Shoei GT Air II Helmet ($600+). Dainese Leather Jacket. Modern as it gets.... I think  ::)
I think I will go with a modular for my next helmet, a few years from now. I will enjoy not having to take my entire helmet off to re-hydrate on hot days. I'll lose the SNELL rating, but I'm not doing track days so I should be ok with DOT and ECE.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 06:48:53 pm
+1 on modular lids.  They've improved a lot in the last few years.  My Schuberth is a C3 Pro modular and I've come to really like the flip up feature.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 07:03:06 pm
+1 on modular lids.  They've improved a lot in the last few years.  My Schuberth is a C3 Pro modular and I've come to really like the flip up feature.
Yep. How's the weight on the Schuberth? One thing I love about my RF-1200 is the weight is quite manageable, and the shape is good for lane checks (not a lot of snapping backwards in the wind stream). I didn't try on the Neotec II but in retrospect I should have.

My BMW riding friends swear by their Schuberths.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 07:43:06 pm
Just weighed it at 3.6 lbs. in size L.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #39 on: June 21, 2021, 07:52:36 pm
Just weighed it at 3.6 lbs. in size L.

Nice, that's exactly the same as my size M RF-1200. Will put on the list to compare with the Neotec II (or Neotec III, when it comes out) when I replace my lid.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #40 on: June 21, 2021, 08:50:05 pm
+1 on modular lids.  They've improved a lot in the last few years.  Mylomg  modular and I've come to really like the flip up feature.

I don't know the exact model, but I expect my next brain bucket will be one of those Schuberth modular ones similar to what you describe. I've long admired the design since seeing Ed March of C90 Adventures fame banging around with one in Mexico and South America. I do own a couple of rarely-used full face ones, but mostly just plod around with a Bell open face with a sort of Chinese snap-on flip type visor.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

(Legal enough to pass muster if they don't look too closely in Woodbridge, Virginia, where the buses don't run at night, holidays or weekends and I'm a contender for 'Village Idiot')

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: June 21, 2021, 09:27:26 pm
Our Coppers here in South Australian wear them.(as do I)

drums4money

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: June 22, 2021, 12:47:24 am
Who can argue with spending on a premium helmet?   Who cares about "retro" or modern,  it's your head Fred.

I was lucky to get a new Schuberth lid as a gift.  It's a pleasure to use and is markedly better than my two Biltwells when it comes to noise and fine aspects of fit.

In terms of jackets, gloves, boots, and the rest of it there's plenty of gear available these days with a strong old school visual vibe but up to date abrasion resistance and D-30 or similar armor. 

If you like the 60's look check out the Merlin Heritage line.
Good call... Merlin's a great value.

My Merlin is especially well made.  Short in the arms by the slightest bit, but it's too nice to return & the right gloves do the trick. 
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #43 on: June 22, 2021, 01:09:22 am
I recently bought a Merlin "retro mesh" jacket for hot weather.  Waxed cotton 60's  look with mesh panels and D-30 elbows shoulder, and back protection. It's a nice piece.

Urban Rider in London has most all the Merlin line at good prices and quick shipping.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: June 22, 2021, 03:13:37 am
I recently bought a Merlin "retro mesh" jacket for hot weather.  Waxed cotton 60's  look with mesh panels and D-30 elbows shoulder, and back protection. It's a nice piece.

Urban Rider in London has most all the Merlin line at good prices and quick shipping.

That a good looking jacket! Love it. That'd be a good replacement for my worn out Dririder Manx jacket that is sadly no longer available.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

iblastoff

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: June 22, 2021, 04:41:14 am

nice. this looks like the revit eclipse air jacket but the merlin is more stylish!