Author Topic: Kickstart not engaging  (Read 3496 times)

rev_enfield

• Scooter
on: June 08, 2021, 09:23:44 am
Hi everyone, this is my first post ("long time listener, first time caller"). I briefly tried searching the forum, but skimming over the results I didn't see anything like this...

I've got a 2017 C5, and I've only ever used the electric start, which is flawless. On a whim, I decided to try kickstarting it a few days ago, but when I put my foot down on it there was zero resistance. Nothing. The spring works perfectly, but it's like the kickstart isn't engaged with anything, almost like it's just a visual decoration. Strange.

Looking at my Haynes manual, it says to remove the engine from the frame to resolve kickstart issues. I'd really prefer not to do that at this point. I'm growing in my mechanical abilities, but I'm not there yet.

So, two questions: has anyone experienced this before and knows what to do? And second, if it's too much of a faff to resolve the issue, are there any dangers with leaving it as-is for now, given that the electric start works perfectly?

Thanks for your help!

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 11:10:02 am
There is a one way pawl ratchet mechanism on the kick-start shaft, and yes, its inside the crankcase if you want to get to it.
Yours may just be stuck with lack of use?
If it has simply stopped working, you can just leave it alone.
If something has fallen off inside causing it not to work?
Off route, recalculate?

rev_enfield

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 11:32:16 am
Thanks, Haggis, that view is very helpful. My best guess was that the pawl had broken/worn, but it may have simply stuck as you say.

I think I'll just leave it alone until I have to open up the crankcase for another reason.

Thanks again for your help!

Gian4

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 03:41:00 pm
Not to be insulting but you don't have the clutch engaged while your using the kicker right.  I've seen that mistake before especially with folks unfamilair with kick starts.
Just saying.
Gian4

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 03:54:21 pm
Gian4 poses a very valid question. You should pull the clutch lever in when using the electric start only, to disengage the clutch, but if it's pulled in when when using the kickstart you will experience exactly what you're describing. No resistance at all. I hope that's the case.

rev_enfield

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 05:04:23 pm
LOL!! That sound you just heard was me slapping my forehead!  ;D You're absolutely correct...that's just what I did without thinking. It all makes sense now. Thanks for correcting me.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:47 pm
That made me smile, cheered me up no end.👍😉
Off route, recalculate?

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 08:40:26 pm
Surely we've done the same thing if we're responding to you.  ;D  I couldn't be happier that it was something so simple.  And good on your for using your kick starter. Just check the pinch bolt on the kick starter lever to make sure it's good and tight on the splines. Now get out there and ride.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 08:50:58 pm
Oh and by the way, this little mishap of yours has a benefit and is actually recommended before kicking the bike to life. That lack of resistance you felt is because the clutch plates separated. This is known as "degronching" the clutch.  It's an industry term. ;D  When kickstarting you should degronch the plates first, then release the clutch lever to start the bike.  The result is a much smoother shift from neutral down into first gear when it's time to set off on your journey.  I do it every time if the bike has sat for a few days. This morning you were confused and now you're an expert. Only with an Enfield.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 10:40:52 pm
My usual mistake, is bragging about how my bike starts in one kick, then bumping the kill switch as I prepare to give it the first manly thrust.

I like to keep those electrons in my battery.  Might want them later.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 02:45:43 am
+1 - I always pull clutch and kick to loosen plates before even deciding electric or kick, then ignition on.....only hassle I've had was the clutch lever "switch" sticking at times
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Gian4

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 03:02:03 pm
Well that was easy. :D  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  Glad to help out.
Gian4

NPLO

• Scooter
  • 2011 Bullet B5 in Dorset
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 11:57:13 pm
Gian4 poses a very valid question. You should pull the clutch lever in when using the electric start only, to disengage the clutch, but if it's pulled in when when using the kickstart you will experience exactly what you're describing. No resistance at all. I hope that's the case.

When starting my 2011 B5 with the electric start, I select neutral and push the start button, but do not pull the clutch lever. Is this wrong?

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 01:01:36 pm
IMO Not Wrong, personally car or bike just always hit the clutch, old habit
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 04:21:47 pm
My take on it is that pulling in the clutch lever when using the electric starter disengages the clutch plates and therefore the entire gearbox. In theory this reduces the stress on the starter motor and the battery. An added bonus is it "degronches" the clutch so you'll get a smooth shift from neutral into first. That said, I see many people just put it in neutral and hit the starter button. Is that wrong? I'm sure there are opinions either way, but I recall the owner's manual recommends to pull in the lever when using the electric starter.