Author Topic: Lift table  (Read 3625 times)

biscot

• Grease Monkey
on: June 05, 2021, 10:24:26 pm
I'm looking to get a lift table so I don't have to crawl around on the floor to work on my Interceptor. I know some of you have experience with these so I'm hoping to get some ideas about what to buy, $1500 or so is probably my max. Black Widow seems to have some good options. Any input?  What are people using? I have an air compressor so fine to use that. I'm thinking I'll want to be able to use my PitBull stands on the table.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:28:26 pm by biscot »

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 10:37:22 pm
I have the basic $450 table lift from Harbor Freight.  It works fine but it's nothing special.  I'm satisfied with it but if I was raising bikes multiple times a day in a retail shop I'd definitely want something better.  I looked at the Black Widow stuff but went with the HF item for price and i could just drive to the store across town to get it.
The hydraulic pedal lift is a little tedious compared to air lift but I can tolerate it.  Whichever one you get will be some of the best bucks you've ever spent.  Makes life much easier.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:46:51 pm by Jack Straw »

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 10:43:09 pm
Well l'm in the same situation, l can't crawl around on the floor anymore with my legs and knee, l used to use a bike jack but not ideal, l always managed for decades that way but not these days, l have seen some reasonable ones on eBay quite cheap its all right if you have some where to put it and a large work shop, but from my point it work out cheaper to take to shop rather then the times it would get actually used, but l must admit there were times in the past l wish l had one just make some jobs a lot easier, one would have been nice 30 years ago but they cost as much as a bike back then, but prices have come down with mass competition.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 10:44:20 pm
What about width - is it worth having the side extensions?

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 10:45:47 pm
I'm allergic to taking my bike to the shop - I do all my own work.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 10:49:04 pm
For my use I've not needed a wider table.  It's a good idea to roll the scooter up dead center though.   One downside to the HF model is the VERY slippery painted surface.  I put down some strips of Scotch-Tread to offset that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:59:20 pm by Jack Straw »

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 10:52:09 pm
Well l used to never went to the shop, but with warranty for three years l won't worry about that these days, most of the work on my BM l have already done so will be ok for a few years apart from minor stuff like servicing that won't be a problem with no lift.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 10:55:50 pm
I have the basic $450 table lift from Harbor Freight.  It works fine but it's nothing special.  I'm satisfied with it but if I was raising bikes multiple times a day in a retail shop I'd definitely want something better.  I looked at the Black Widow stuff but went with the HF item for price and i could just drive to the store across town to get it.
The hydraulic pedal lift is a little tedious compared to air lift but I can tolerate it.  Whichever one you get will be some of the best bucks you've ever spent.  Makes life much easier.

+1 on the Harbor Freight lift fot less than full dressers and hobbyist use. Always use the locking bar.

Only down side is that HF offers no parts, but you can buy the pump for $108, so if the hydraulics fail you have to go local and get seals which is usually easy.

Too bad they killed the coupons cause you used to be able to get those lifts for under $299.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 01:34:28 am
If I had the space for it in my overstuffed single garage, I'd certainly go with the Harbor Freight "1000 Lb. Steel Motorcycle Lift" described here: https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html, currently $499.99. I would definitely wait for it to go on sale though, as it often used to do under the old "Coupon Regime". As recently as September 2019 you could pick one up for just $289 (see: https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/1000+LB.+CAPACITY+MOTORCYCLE+LIFT). I expect they'll do so again one day. Mostly the good sales on them used to occur in Fall.

A common improvement that many folks make to them is to replace that lift's original front wheel chock with another--often one of those ones they also sell like this "economy" one or, more often, you might see this one. There's no shortage of YouTube vids about modifications folks have made to them: removable levers, slide-in side ramps for one's feet for easier ride-on, extra attachment U-bolts, adding glue-on cushioning strips to the underside of the platform to soften descents, or even air hydraulic conversions for those with wonky knees.

One tip I got from one of my favorite YouTubers, the estimable Mike of The Mighty Garage   (https://youtube.com/c/MiTyMotorcycles) when I'd asked about his own shop's Harbor Freight lift was, "Get it delivered." Weighing in at 340 lbs., unless you happen to find yourself one sunny afternoon tearing around in an F350 monster pickup with a crewcab full of steelworkers or buddies from your old high school football team and feel an impulse buy coming on, forking out that extra $97 for delivery right into your garage seems "sensible"--unless you wanna put your chiropractor on speed dial.

But, for the time being, I'll just have to content myself with my little Harbor Freight "1500 Lb. Steel ATV/Motorcycle Lift" that I picked up at one of their sidewalk sales for less than the cost of a 12-pack of Yuengling Lager many years back, long before my Bullet, as seen here: https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-steel-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html. Turns out, especially if you've got an Iron Belly Bullet, I just couldn't recommend them highly enough. Fits like a factory special tool. I cannot speak for other Enfield models, but it fits my old Bullet like a glove.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:59:15 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 03:12:49 pm
There are plenty of opinions about front wheel chocks on platform lifts.  The chock supplied with the HF lift is a simple vise intended to clamp the front wheel.  It seemed an afterthought.

A pal recommended this HF roll-on chock which I tried but it seemed like every other time I had the scooter up on the lift I needed to do something that called for turning the handlebars and that's no dice with this type of chock.  I've reverted to no chock at all but keep the stock angle iron limit bumper to avoid the Thelma and Louise trick.

When you first get one of these think carefully about your technique for loading, and unloading the bike.  There are several ways to screw the pooch and I've discovered some the hard way. >:(   Remember, once the bike is rolled on it will be about 8 inches higher than ground level and you're reach is kind of awkward.  I'd be leery of riding it up unless you're Toni Bou.  The only time my 650 has been down was the first week I had the lift.  My pride was seriously dented but the bike came out ok.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 07:41:39 pm
 If you can find a second hand old style HF lift - get that. It is a siccor lift as opposed to a parallel lifting arm. The parallel style can do a nose dive if only part way up and the bike is too far forward or you climb up on it..
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 11:29:57 pm
If you can find a second hand old style HF lift - get that. It is a siccor lift as opposed to a parallel lifting arm. The parallel style can do a nose dive if only part way up and the bike is too far forward or you climb up on it..

Man, you really have to bore down deep into Google Image Search before you'll find even a grainy image of an old style Harbor Freight scissor-style motorcycle lift.

But in the course of rummaging around I did come across very detailed instructions in how to build a DIY "Field Bench" constructed according to WWII U.S. Army specifications, as published in the Motorcycle Mechanics Handbook  by the Armored Force School's Motorcycle Department in Ft. Knox, Kentucky in 1942 and 1943:

Like I said, it's a pretty detailed guide with lots of photos, plans, videos, and links to other info put together by some Western guys living in Thailand, who keep going on about having "manly wood" yonder, as one does. So that's exciting, right? Check it out: https://www.globaldimension.com/2018/06/wwii-wooden-motorcycle-workbench/

Apparently, some folks will also build them with a big handy drawer to stow needful gear...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:44:48 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 03:48:51 pm
Man, you really have to bore down deep into Google Image Search before you'll find even a grainy image of an old style Harbor Freight scissor-style motorcycle lift.

But in the course of rummaging around I did come across very detailed instructions in how to build a DIY "Field Bench" constructed according to WWII U.S. Army specifications, as published in the Motorcycle Mechanics Handbook  by the Armored Force School's Motorcycle Department in Ft. Knox, Kentucky in 1942 and 1943:

Like I said, it's a pretty detailed guide with lots of photos, plans, videos, and links to other info put together by some Western guys living in Thailand, who keep going on about having "manly wood" yonder, as one does. So that's exciting, right? Check it out: https://www.globaldimension.com/2018/06/wwii-wooden-motorcycle-workbench/

Apparently, some folks will also build them with a big handy drawer to stow needful gear...

8) Yeah, keep an eye on Estate Sales in Northern California, eventually one will come up there. ;)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 04:55:26 pm
I use a Kendon lift. It flattens out and it can stored leaning against the wall. You can raise with its lever or use air. The Kendon is smaller and lighter.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 07:50:08 pm
That Kendon looks like a nice piece of gear.