Author Topic: What parts would replace that don't exist yet in the aftermarket?  (Read 6237 times)

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
I'm tempted to mask the gauges off and hit the bezel (is that the right word? wtf is bezel) with flat black Krylon, but I'd probably booger it up bad.

Plasti-Dip spray bombs. Rubberised paint is designed to be removable. People paint wheels, grill badges etc with it.

You can also get a Matt paint film which would reduce the glare off the ‘glass’.

If you guys are suffering, imagine what the guys with chrome tanks are going through  ;) ;)

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Chrome tank????  That would be me :-\

I generally ride with a tank bag so I'm not been bothered by that but the instruments are vexing.  I'm gonna figure something out.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
No issues with sun reflection here, there isn't any sun.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Chrome tank????  That would be me :-\

I generally ride with a tank bag so I'm not been bothered by that but the instruments are vexing.  I'm gonna figure something out.
Can’t say I’ve ever noticed but I always wear polarised sunnies when I ride.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
That is EXACTLY what Triumph did to add Brembo 4 pots to the front of the 2019 Street Twins and street Scramblers.

Not that difficult for me to make them, but I think that some will balk at the cost as not only new yokes and dealing with the stem, but fork brace, axle, speedo drive, axle spacer,.......... One can however use the stock rotor
With a bit of machine work, it can be done with the stock yokes, and I hope to get back to designing the last piece soon
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Can’t say I’ve ever noticed but I always wear polarised sunnies when I ride.

I figured the wide black stripe on top of the Glitter & Dust tank was to keep the glare out of the riders' eyes.
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

drums4money

• Bulleteer
Oil filter
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.

RecoilRob

• Grease Monkey
I switched my Interceptor to GP shift because there were no levers that did it available that I could find.   It's really a simple job on the Interceptor being it uses linkage to transfer the lever movement to the shift lever on the transmission shaft.   The GT is impossible to switch unless you'd remove the counter-shaft sprocket cover or go internally into the cases.

On the Interceptor lever the linkage tab was cut off then welded on the underside...which worked except the geometry wasn't right and on downshifts the lever could go over-center.   I cut a thin wedge at the lever pivot then welded it together which lifted the tip about 2" and solved the geometry problem.   Shifts great now and I really do love the GP pattern.   My other bike (SV1000S Suzuki) has it also so no 'relearning' involved...GP is 'normal' to me and I always wonder just WHY them's that make the choices for us all went with the now standard pattern?   GP makes a lot more sense just riding around easily let alone on the track where you might be leaned over scraping peg and need to upshift where getting ones toe under the lever is impossible.

TEC offers an adjustable lever machined from billet aluminum and they could VERY easily machine the linkage tab on the bottom and offer an over the counter GP lever setup.

gregrb41

• Bulleteer
Full enclosure chain guard.
And leading to the Interceptor................
AS1 - RD250 - RD400 - CB750 - Bandit 1200 - Thunderbird Sport - Thunderbird w/sidecar - Thunderace - VF1000 - Thunderace - Tiger 955i - V-Strom 650 -Breva 750 - Bullet Electra - C90 - TL1000S - and here we are and loving the Interceptor :-)

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
I'm waiting for exactly the right tail hoop and short fender for my Interceptor.  I want a hoop that loops upward a bit and is long enough to accomodate the stock seat should I have a passenger.  I also want to mount my Motone Eldorado taillight directly to the fender.  I considered the Baak short leather seat kit but the fender is too short and there's be no practical way to use the stock seat after you chop the frame and install the Baak hoop.  I'll probably have to have something custom made, which will be more expensive but have the added benefit of setting my Interceptor apart from everybody else's.  I may end up using the Hitchcock's stainless rear fender and bobbing it.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
I'm waiting for exactly the right tail hoop and short fender for my Interceptor.  I want a hoop that loops upward a bit and is long enough to accomodate the stock seat should I have a passenger.  I also want to mount my Motone Eldorado taillight directly to the fender.  I considered the Baak short leather seat kit but the fender is too short and there's be no practical way to use the stock seat after you chop the frame and install the Baak hoop.  I'll probably have to have something custom made, which will be more expensive but have the added benefit of setting my Interceptor apart from everybody else's.  I may end up using the Hitchcock's stainless rear fender and bobbing it.
This might be a starting place, Amazon, "cafe racer rear hoop"
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cafe+racer+rear+hoop&crid=3KCCWUZTWWVVT&sprefix=cafe+racer+rear%2Caps%2C862&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_15
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
This might be a starting place, Amazon, "cafe racer rear hoop"
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cafe+racer+rear+hoop&crid=3KCCWUZTWWVVT&sprefix=cafe+racer+rear%2Caps%2C862&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_15

Thanks NVD.  I'll probably end up going with one of those and welding it exactly where I want it.  Hopefully I'll be able to pay the welder out of what I save on the hoop, or spend it on an ARC welder.  I'm developing a whole new set of skills from tinkering with this bike.  (By the way, your photos have me yearning for a motorcycle tour of California--something I did regularly when I lived on the west coast--though I'm not sure I want to ride my Interceptor all the way from Brooklyn.)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Thanks NVD.  I'll probably end up going with one of those and welding it exactly where I want it.  Hopefully I'll be able to pay the welder out of what I save on the hoop, or spend it on an ARC welder.  I'm developing a whole new set of skills from tinkering with this bike.  (By the way, your photos have me yearning for a motorcycle tour of California--something I did regularly when I lived on the west coast--though I'm not sure I want to ride my Interceptor all the way from Brooklyn.)
Yeah, new skills, big and small, are fun and good for the brain. As regards the welding, you can consider a slip-fit tubing or pipe inside each piece and through bolted. Sorta like an internal splint.
     And Yes, you should come out West for some riding. Maybe ship the bike to Colorado and join it there.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
Reply #58 on: September 30, 2021, 03:40:46 pm
I don't know what this part is called "shift actuator?" but it looks really cheap, like someone whittled it from a clump of scrap metal.

I've seen these made aftermarket for Triumphs, and if someone made a nice, high quality CNC machined replacement i'd snap it up in a hot second.

Call me a crazy details person....
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #59 on: September 30, 2021, 05:52:56 pm
I don't know what this part is called "shift actuator?" but it looks really cheap, like someone whittled it from a clump of scrap metal.

I've seen these made aftermarket for Triumphs, and if someone made a nice, high quality CNC machined replacement i'd snap it up in a hot second.

Call me a crazy details person....
I can see your point. I think the only sane path, even for a "crazy person", is to buff it out to match the engine cover and swap out the pinch bolt for a bright allen head unit.
But if you find a billet something please let us know.