Author Topic: What parts would replace that don't exist yet in the aftermarket?  (Read 6204 times)

drums4money

• Bulleteer
Just throwing this out there but has anyone looked at any of the other aftermarket calipers out there? Everyone seems to be fixated on Brembo, but Wilwood, Nissan, PM and Tokico all come to mind as options. I've no plans to ever swap mine out but if I was I'd look at all of them before making a decision.

That's a good point. . . I would've hoped to see more discussion about possible direct swaps due to the concerns over the recall situation.  Instead there's 18 pages of oil filter speculation.  ( Not that there's anything wrong with that." - Seinfeld )
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.

Chassa

• Scooter
Without a doubt the ' intake covers'.
Not sure quite why they call them that anyway as they don't cover the air intake.
Right out there on show but brushed aluminium looks really cheap and nasty.
Hate to say it but look at the Triumphs.
Never heard anyone else get upset about them so maybe it's just me and a bit of a personal thing.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
I love the Interceptor, these bikes were built to a price point and i think given the budget they smashed it out of the park.

Still, there is no reason to slowly replace some of the cheaper parts with ones of our choosing.  What has stood out to you on the bike that you would like to replace that you just can't find in the aftermarket yet?  Either at all or with a product you like.

For me its just a few things right now:

-Speedo/Tach mounting bracket.  It's some cheaply stamped piece of metal that's really curvy and odd looking.  Would love to replace it with something CNC machined and more angular.

-Fenders.  Not a fan of the plastic.  Would love to find ones in metal that are similar shape.  The Hitchcocks ones are too angular/cut at their edges, i would like to find the rounded edges on a set of metal fenders.

-Rear-sets that include shift/brake levers.   Still haven't seen a set that i like.  I like the factory pegs, but the rear sets them selves and shift levers are very wobbly.  I'm not looking for "racing" rearsets, just something higher quality that keep the factory dimensions and maybe even reuse the factory pegs.  I want rubber on my pegs/shifter/brake, not hard metal.

What are those perfect parts that you are still looking for and waiting for?

I’m with you on the mounting bracket.  I’d like something old school in which the tach and Speedo disappear altogether.  I’m also waiting on the right shortie kit with a short but not too short fender.  I hate that taillight bracket that’s welded onto the frame.  Eventually I’ll chop the subframe and install an upturned tail loop with a taillight that mounts directly to the (stainless steel) fender.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Without a doubt the ' intake covers'.
Not sure quite why they call them that anyway as they don't cover the air intake.
Right out there on show but brushed aluminium looks really cheap and nasty.
Hate to say it but look at the Triumphs.
Never heard anyone else get upset about them so maybe it's just me and a bit of a personal thing.

Fake carbs are better to you?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Just throwing this out there but has anyone looked at any of the other aftermarket calipers out there? Everyone seems to be fixated on Brembo, but Wilwood, Nissan, PM and Tokico all come to mind as options. I've no plans to ever swap mine out but if I was I'd look at all of them before making a decision.
See this post:
I now have proof of concept on my front brake upgrade, and now that it is test fitted, the next step is to machine the calliper adapter bracket.  The bracket is a bit tricky to get right the first time, so I am going to get the front end assembly 3D scanned and the bracket modeled by Global Dimensions in Bangkok. 

There is a bit of fettling, and a few bespoke parts in order to make this work due to calliper to spoke clearance, and overall clearance due to moving the rotor outboard:
 Rotor spacer
 ABS ring
 ABS sensor spacer
 Calliper adapter

You will need to buy:
330mm rotor
Brembo P4 x 65mm axial mount calliper
Brembo RCS 15mm master cylinder   

I may make a few sets if anyone is interested, and the only machine work you will need to do is insert M10 Heli-coils in fork leg calliper mount tab.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Fake carbs are better to you?

IMO those fake Monoblocks are one of the worst styling decisions ever made. It kept me from buying one.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
See this post:

Seems like overkill, but like granddad always said "everyman knows his own business best." For sure it should stop on a dime and return 9 cents change.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead

Don’t Beringer make a complete kit caliber, disc, master cylinder?
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

justonemore

• Grease Monkey
IMO those fake Monoblocks are one of the worst styling decisions ever made. It kept me from buying one.

The fake carbs look better with the optional fake throttle and choke cables.  :D

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
The fake carbs look better with the optional fake throttle and choke cables.  :D

Maybe if it leaked a bit out of a fake tickler I'd like them better.  ;)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Don’t Beringer make a complete kit caliber, disc, master cylinder?
They do but the issue with all the "bolt on" solutions is will the inside of the 4pot caliper clear the spokes.
   There are different paths to gain the clearance. Wider triple tree sets, offset rotors, hub spacer for the rotor ...
Here is a photo of an unknown, to me, bike.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Effektor

• Bulleteer
A simple way to swap out the clumsy, keyed gas cap for a nice alloy Monza style.

This.

I really wish they had gone with a hinged flush mount, but a Monza style would be ok too. Anything but the current POS.

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
I love the Interceptor, these bikes were built to a price point and i think given the budget they smashed it out of the park.

Still, there is no reason to slowly replace some of the cheaper parts with ones of our choosing.  What has stood out to you on the bike that you would like to replace that you just can't find in the aftermarket yet?  Either at all or with a product you like.

For me its just a few things right now:

-Speedo/Tach mounting bracket.  It's some cheaply stamped piece of metal that's really curvy and odd looking.  Would love to replace it with something CNC machined and more angular.

-Fenders.  Not a fan of the plastic.  Would love to find ones in metal that are similar shape.  The Hitchcocks ones are too angular/cut at their edges, i would like to find the rounded edges on a set of metal fenders.

-Rear-sets that include shift/brake levers.   Still haven't seen a set that i like.  I like the factory pegs, but the rear sets them selves and shift levers are very wobbly.  I'm not looking for "racing" rearsets, just something higher quality that keep the factory dimensions and maybe even reuse the factory pegs.  I want rubber on my pegs/shifter/brake, not hard metal.

What are those perfect parts that you are still looking for and waiting for?

Iam with you on the speedo bracket,  the whole dash has an odd angle and is way to high .

I lowered mine by 1 inch but still
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA

You should look at the BAAK metal fenders.
2020 Baker Express

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
I'd go for an upgrade Brembo caliper swap.  Maybe there is one, but my reading uncovered only tales of speculation, trial, and mostly error.  If the "BYBRE" caliper is proprietary, then I'm scratching my head wondering why create totally new engineering and tooling when they could re-purpose an already established production-ready unit. 

Everything old is new again, so to speak.

I now have this figured out and proof of concept fitted to my bike.  330mm rotor and Brembo P4 Four piston axial mount calliper.  I already have a Brembo RCS15 master cylinder, which will be required in a calliper upgrade
Working on the calliper bracket, but got a bit sidetracked on a fork brace design, and hope to get back to the brake mod soon.
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R