Author Topic: What parts would replace that don't exist yet in the aftermarket?  (Read 6234 times)

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
I love the Interceptor, these bikes were built to a price point and i think given the budget they smashed it out of the park.

Still, there is no reason to slowly replace some of the cheaper parts with ones of our choosing.  What has stood out to you on the bike that you would like to replace that you just can't find in the aftermarket yet?  Either at all or with a product you like.

For me its just a few things right now:

-Speedo/Tach mounting bracket.  It's some cheaply stamped piece of metal that's really curvy and odd looking.  Would love to replace it with something CNC machined and more angular.

-Fenders.  Not a fan of the plastic.  Would love to find ones in metal that are similar shape.  The Hitchcocks ones are too angular/cut at their edges, i would like to find the rounded edges on a set of metal fenders.

-Rear-sets that include shift/brake levers.   Still haven't seen a set that i like.  I like the factory pegs, but the rear sets them selves and shift levers are very wobbly.  I'm not looking for "racing" rearsets, just something higher quality that keep the factory dimensions and maybe even reuse the factory pegs.  I want rubber on my pegs/shifter/brake, not hard metal.

What are those perfect parts that you are still looking for and waiting for? 
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Simple bolt-in fork cartridges with caps that don't look too high tech.  Split the damping adjustments between the two sides and the kit should be under $800.  It doesn't need to be race-ready, just a proper cartridge with shim valves.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Simple bolt-in fork cartridges with caps that don't look too high tech.  Split the damping adjustments between the two sides and the kit should be under $800.  It doesn't need to be race-ready, just a proper cartridge with shim valves.
You are describing the Andreani Misano Cartridge Kit. $600 You'd have to paint the fork tops flat black to hide them some.
This is the USA importer. Super knowledgeable and super helpful.
https://shop.fastbikeindustries.com/t/andreani-misano-cartridge-kit
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
A simple way to swap out the clumsy, keyed gas cap for a nice alloy Monza style.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
A simple way to swap out the clumsy, keyed gas cap for a nice alloy Monza style.

THIS!!!  I will so buy a nice gas cap when i see one available.  The stock unit is heavy as hell and feels clumsy.
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
THIS!!!  I will so buy a nice gas cap when i see one available.  The stock unit is heavy as hell and feels clumsy.
Search the forum here. There is some complete information.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Rick, I fitted a Monza cap as did Breaker Express and Wachuco.  There's a thread;  https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29941.0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 04:25:00 pm by Jack Straw »

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
You are describing the Andreani Misano Cartridge Kit. $600 You'd have to paint the fork tops flat black to hide them some.
This is the USA importer. Super knowledgeable and super helpful.
https://shop.fastbikeindustries.com/t/andreani-misano-cartridge-kit

Thanks.  Yes, for me those caps look out of place.  Also their instructions online seemed to indicate that some machining was required.  Is that not the case?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Thanks.  Yes, for me those caps look out of place.  Also their instructions online seemed to indicate that some machining was required.  Is that not the case?
Machining is too strong a term. You do have to cut off a lip which then allows you to remove the lower-most internal spacers from each fork tube. I used a die grinder but any cut off wheel or disc sander will do. No marksmanship required.

LXpat

• Scooter
The aftermarket luggage situation is pretty bad, either wildly overpriced or wildly impractical.
Current Ride: 2021 Interceptor 650 (Canyon Red)

Past Rides: '04 BMW R1150R Rockster; '03 Aprilia Pegaso 650 IE; '99 BMW R1100RT-P; '81 Suzuki GS550E; '72 Honda CB175

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
The aftermarket luggage situation is pretty bad, either wildly overpriced or wildly impractical.

That'd be my choice. I like traditional Craven bags, but the ones for the Interceptor just don't cut it.

anglojaxon

• Bulleteer
  • AngloJaxon

The upswept exhaust is a little too upswept. It costs more than I wanted to pay for HB C-mounts and bags. They are also small. The Givi bags are huge and too high for me.

The best looking exhaust to me are Diablo headers and slip on, that look like they'd solve that problem, but the rear footpads are also a pain point for bags.
2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

drums4money

• Bulleteer
I'd go for an upgrade Brembo caliper swap.  Maybe there is one, but my reading uncovered only tales of speculation, trial, and mostly error.  If the "BYBRE" caliper is proprietary, then I'm scratching my head wondering why create totally new engineering and tooling when they could re-purpose an already established production-ready unit. 

Everything old is new again, so to speak.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
An elegant solution to eliminate the stock taillight bracket/fender bracket/wiring rat's nest. Something that still allows the use of an old school round brake light, mounted vertically, but also hides the wires and perhaps a second bracket to just hold the fender on and not do double or triple duty.
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
I'd go for an upgrade Brembo caliper swap.  Maybe there is one, but my reading uncovered only tales of speculation, trial, and mostly error.  If the "BYBRE" caliper is proprietary, then I'm scratching my head wondering why create totally new engineering and tooling when they could re-purpose an already established production-ready unit. 

Everything old is new again, so to speak.

Just throwing this out there but has anyone looked at any of the other aftermarket calipers out there? Everyone seems to be fixated on Brembo, but Wilwood, Nissan, PM and Tokico all come to mind as options. I've no plans to ever swap mine out but if I was I'd look at all of them before making a decision.