Author Topic: New Texas gun law  (Read 4696 times)

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
  • Los Angeles, San Francisco
Reply #30 on: May 26, 2021, 01:19:49 pm
When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

These days, you can't actually assume they're even going to show up at all.  Don't you know policing crime is racism or something?   >:(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:42:58 pm by nicholastanguma »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #31 on: May 26, 2021, 01:32:00 pm
For rhose interested, here is a GOA review of the final Texas bill.
https://texas.gunowners.org/hb-1927-final-version-what-does-it-say/
Home of the Fireball 535 !

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: May 26, 2021, 02:06:05 pm
I'd rather explain to a jury why I pulled the trigger than have the cops explain to my wife why I won't be coming home.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: May 26, 2021, 02:46:15 pm
Regarding "carry whatever you want" laws: What worries me are people carrying guns in a crowded urban setting that have bought them for personal protection but have never had any training on how to use them or how to hit what they are aiming at. Not a good combination.

Regarding trial juries: One of the few times that I was a juror in a criminal case was during the prosecution of a new Daly City police officer. He was charged with intimidating a prowler when he caught up with him and apparently waved his gun in the guy's face when asking him what he had been up to. The prowler, who did have convictions for burglaries, reported this activity to the city police and they turned the report over to the DA who prosecuted him for a variety of things. I gathered from both the testimony and the number of cops that showed up for the trial that he was a recent transfer to the department and was not up tight with the rest of the cops. During the jury deliberations there were a couple of Filipino women who were insisting that he be convicted of assault as they said that all cops were evil and should be put in jail. Eventually, the rest of the jurors were able to calm them down a bit and he was convicted of brandishing a weapon. After the trial I believe that the conviction was appealed because brandishing a weapon was part of a cop's job description. But that was fortunately my last trial and it was where I learned that jurors can be very much prejudiced and their decisions are not always based upon the facts.  ::)  (Looking at you O.J.) 
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 04:22:45 pm
Well, in that fuckistan I've lived all mechanics, builders and workers would walk around full time with full gear on, screwdrivers, hammers, knives...etc. to annoy the "chosen" global warming children in the offices. If you look at the results it's no surprise.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: May 26, 2021, 04:23:06 pm
Every month Rifleman magazine has a page that reports on attacks thwarted, invaders shot by a gun owner in the US. Most of the rest of American media hides these events. That's why it is common to hear it said, guns don't do any good. The narrative is a deception.
  If you want to know some important information on gun ownership in the US, read the US Constitution. Don't skip the second amendment.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 05:36:18 pm
@ #29: This is clearly early 20th century hogwash designed to titillate the "Tearoom Societies" of the time. I know you know this. There was lots of "Mysticism" interest in those days. The only folks interested in this today would also have signed up with the Heaven's Gate & Peoples Temple crowd. Assign a "0" to it on a societal impact scale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthroposophy
Extract:
Evolution
The anthroposophical view of evolution considers all animals to have evolved from an early, unspecialized form. As the least specialized animal, human beings have maintained the closest connection to the archetypal form;[59] contrary to the Darwinian conception of human evolution, all other animals devolve from this archetype.[60] The spiritual archetype originally created by spiritual beings was devoid of physical substance; only later did this descend into material existence on Earth.[61] In this view, human evolution has accompanied the Earth's evolution throughout the existence of the Earth.

@ #34: What are you trying to say here? There's no context for any of this.
" Well, in that fuckistan I've lived all mechanics, builders and workers would walk around full time with full gear on, screwdrivers, hammers, knives...etc. to annoy the "chosen" global warming children in the offices. If you look at the results it's no surprise. "
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:40:16 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 05:59:34 pm
@ #29: This is clearly early 20th century hogwash designed to titillate the "Tearoom Societies" of the time. I know you know this. There was lots of "Mysticism" interest in those days. The only folks interested in this today would also have signed up with the Heaven's Gate & Peoples Temple crowd. Assign a "0" to it on a societal impact scale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthroposophy
Extract:
Evolution
The anthroposophical view of evolution considers all animals to have evolved from an early, unspecialized form. As the least specialized animal, human beings have maintained the closest connection to the archetypal form;[59] contrary to the Darwinian conception of human evolution, all other animals devolve from this archetype.[60] The spiritual archetype originally created by spiritual beings was devoid of physical substance; only later did this descend into material existence on Earth.[61] In this view, human evolution has accompanied the Earth's evolution throughout the existence of the Earth.

@ #34: What are you trying to say here? There's no context for any of this.
" Well, in that fuckistan I've lived all mechanics, builders and workers would walk around full time with full gear on, screwdrivers, hammers, knives...etc. to annoy the "chosen" global warming children in the offices. If you look at the results it's no surprise. "

What I'm trying to say is that the "vaxxing" that's going on, maybe a result of the anthrosophy leads to people displaying their anger in symbolism. They like to compare people's "behaviour" to dogs, cats...etc. Play with colours to annoy Christians for example, violet would be a symbol of death, gold of silence, silver of reflection...

...since basically a lot of people might have been sileced in a totalitarian way, it's became like that. It's pretty annoying, so if you walk in an office suit through that city may find yourself suddenly surrounded with mechanics with knives and hammers. I don't know what the point is but I think it's either to scare or to annoy you.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: May 26, 2021, 06:03:15 pm
brandish - verb - wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement. "a man leaped out brandishing a knife"

As a civilian, you don't have the legal ability to "brandish" a weapon. You present a weapon only in defense of imminent threat to your own or another's life. Inside your home is generally a different story, as in a home invasion situation.

If someone is fleeing, you don't shoot them in the back, as the threat is over.

Arizona is Open Carry, but weapons remain holstered, you are just "carrying". Taking it out and playing with it is brandishing. An AR15 on a sling on your shoulder is carrying, that same gun in your hands in public is brandishing.

The reason CCW works well is because timid folks don't have to look at scary objects, they're concealed, so they're not "provoked". "Bad Guys" don't know who's dangerous and who's not, so their "cost of doing business" goes up, they have to be more careful, so business goes down for the smarter criminals.

One bad side effect of open carry is on stupid people, ones that are either emboldened by openly carrying, and others that are "provoked or offended" that someone is openly carrying a weapon. "When two fools collide" generally doesn't turn out too well; think bars & strip clubs on Friday night.

Again, as has been pointed out, criminals by definition don't follow the laws. But a strong CCW population does weed out some of the stupid and increases the general firearms proficiency & knowledge base. Not having widespread open carry thins out the "emboldened" crowd as well as the "provoked" crowd.

No answers, just an opinion.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 06:24:28 pm
Vaccination is a response to public health needs. I suggest you wear a mask to protect yourself from my "Bill Gates Nanobots" I'm breathing out right now.  ::)
As far as folks being silenced, I assume you are talking about Facebook & Twitter bans on certain prominent folks publicly spouting discredited conspiracy theories. Those are private companies trying to protect themselves from litigation over crazy/fake claims made over their medium on public airways. Last I checked there were multiple other avenues of communication open on the Dark Web mega(MAGA?) echo chamber and via proxy Facebook & Twitter posters. Even Fox had to repudiate what some of their guests were spouting on the airwaves. A "totalitarian" silencing is way more Putin-like, where you visit the Gulag or learn the hard way how radioisotopes or chemical warfare agents actually work.
As for Christians & annoying colors & symbolically acting out and business offices filled with folks carrying hammers, I think you're likely the only guy here thinking or worrying about that. Come back from the deep weeds...we need that clever brain focused on important stuff like cam duration specs, Rockwell numbers, materials galling tables, lubricity, intake tract resonances, etc... ;D ;D ;D

" What I'm trying to say is that the "vaxxing" that's going on, maybe a result of the anthrosophy leads to people displaying their anger in symbolism. They like to compare people's "behaviour" to dogs, cats...etc. Play with colours to annoy Christians for example, violet would be a symbol of death, gold of silence, silver of reflection...

...since basically a lot of people might have been sileced in a totalitarian way, it's became like that. It's pretty annoying, so if you walk in an office suit through that city may find yourself suddenly surrounded with mechanics with knives and hammers. I don't know what the point is but I think it's either to scare or to annoy you. "
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 06:32:25 pm by AzCal Retred »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #40 on: May 26, 2021, 07:05:44 pm
Come back from the deep weeds...we need that clever brain focused on important stuff like cam duration specs, Rockwell numbers, materials galling tables, lubricity, intake tract resonances, etc... ;D ;D ;D

First you have to calculate which stock is going to skyrocket next.  ;) ....so that we can make more of those home build engines.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 08:01:37 pm
A "totalitarian" silencing is way more Putin-like, where you visit the Gulag or learn the hard way how radioisotopes or chemical warfare agents actually work.

They have mental hospitals for that, same, same but different.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #42 on: May 27, 2021, 03:33:33 pm
Alaska has been a Constitutional Carry State for many years. Open or concealed. It works well .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: May 27, 2021, 03:46:16 pm
Random from the interweb...

No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: May 27, 2021, 04:10:57 pm
A couple of minutes ago I heard a report on the radio that California's state attorney general has a backlog of over 9000 cases of convicted criminals who are prohibited from having weapons who have bought, or acquired them somehow, that need to be taken away from them. However, there are just too many scofflaws and not nearly enough people to enforce the laws. And that is just the ones that they know of. California has some of the strictest gun laws in the country and they don't seem to help all that much when it comes to preventing murders, shooting, robberies and similar criminal activities. I don't know what the solution to the problem is and apparently neither do the country's legislators and politicians, other than to say that we need to come together and make changes to prevent the next mass murder event. But they never seem to have any constructive and workable solution other than suggesting even more gun restrictions that don't seem to work.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1