Author Topic: New Texas gun law  (Read 4632 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 25, 2021, 01:30:02 am
I just heard on the news that the Governor of Texas has signed a law that would allow anyone to carry a gun in public. And to do so without a permit or any training. :o This does not sound like a good idea to me.  :( There was no mention of how old you need to be to carry a big iron on your hip.  ???  I think I will avoid visiting Texas for a while.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 01:51:52 am
I just heard on the news that the Governor of Texas has signed a law that would allow anyone to carry a gun in public. And to do so without a permit or any training. :o This does not sound like a good idea to me.  :( There was no mention of how old you need to be to carry a big iron on your hip.  ???  I think I will avoid visiting Texas for a while.

Yikes! I don't think he thought that one all the way through. It'll be interesting to see how that  one plays out.  :o

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 02:11:57 am
Maybe it's a ploy to scare off some of the hordes of Californian economic refugees flooding the state?

This former resident of Austin in the '90s' own interest in firearms parallels my interest in motorcycles: being largely aesthetic and antiquey. While I might like a nice old school Winchester or some black powder smoke wagon, I'd have near zero interest in owning something like an AR-15 or Glock--even less than, say, some Hayabusa organ donor special modern wonderbike. I've got a couple of ultra-cheapo but sturdy Chinese-made .177 cal. pellet guns, a rifle and a matching target pistol, for occasional back yard plinking at a little metal target box full of flippy magnetic ducks, but I bear no ill will towards the actual ducks or other birds, rabbits, squirrels, possums, racoons, tortoises, frogs, salamanders or that one sly chipmunk who comes by to join me for my morning coffee on the deck (he actually prefers a little platter of unshelled sunflower seeds, though an almond or three is always appreciated too). As I close in on 63 in a week or so, I'm still in no hurry to arm to the teeth for the coming zombie apocalypse, to fend off those meth-addled home invaders or to show those squirrels who's boss. I suspect many firearms bought for fear-based yet "sensible" reasons or home protection are more likely to be used following a dispute over the quality of the evening's meatloaf. Still, I wouldn't mind polishing an old Sharps Rifle or Colt Navy out on the back deck with the chipmunk. With his cooperation I'm quite sure his sleek fur would bring it to a high lustrous shine, right?: https://youtube.com/shorts/mPXA-i1nldU?feature=share
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:47:02 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 02:28:43 am
Here in TN they passed the same law, going into effect in July.

There are 18 states like that, and more are in process.
People who are not legal for firearms such as felons are not included.

I'm okay with it., although I have a permit already anyway. I carry my pistol 24/7, as do many others here. So many people here already had carry permits that I doubt much will change, except for the fees.

As for the criminals, they have been carrying all along, and don't care about the laws. The laws only restrict the law abiding.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 03:09:57 am
+2!!  Truer words wuz ne're spoke!  " As for the criminals, they have been carrying all along, and don't care about the laws. The laws only restrict the law abiding. "

Pump shotgun for home defense, gauge of your preference, first 3 rounds are #9 birdshot followed by slugs. As Zimmemr says, looking down a scattergun bore is truly a "come to Jesus" moment, and the sound of a pump shotgun preparing for action is utterly unmistakable.

One of my pals living in the remote sticks south of Barstow bought his wife a nice 410 Mossberg pump for when he was away. A month or so later he was taking a 3AM wee, lights off, and as he is staggering back towards the bed he hears the Mossberg ka-clack! into pre-action mode. He said he froze, and in a high trembling voice says "Honey - It's me!" The wife thought he was still in bed... :o
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 07:12:49 am

One of my pals living in the remote sticks south of Barstow bought his wife a nice 410 Mossberg pump for when he was away. A month or so later he was taking a 3AM wee, lights off, and as he is staggering back towards the bed he hears the Mossberg ka-clack! into pre-action mode. He said he froze, and in a high trembling voice says "Honey - It's me!" The wife thought he was still in bed... :o
That sounds like a convenient way to off a family member you don't particularly care for...
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 11:12:15 am
Corpocrates supposedly families, businesses supposedly families....they all love each other so much.  ::)

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
  • Los Angeles, San Francisco
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 11:52:44 am
+2!!  Truer words wuz ne're spoke!  " As for the criminals, they have been carrying all along, and don't care about the laws. The laws only restrict the law abiding. "

Pump shotgun for home defense, gauge of your preference, first 3 rounds are #9 birdshot followed by slugs. As Zimmemr says, looking down a scattergun bore is truly a "come to Jesus" moment, and the sound of a pump shotgun preparing for action is utterly unmistakable.

AzCal being good again.  Flying pigs, I see 'em!   ;)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 02:05:56 pm
@ #6: Wrong thread maybe? :o

@ #7: Glad we can find some common ground!  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 02:14:30 pm
Apparently the "just in" news report that I heard was from the near future. Later last night I heard another report that said that the Texas state legislature had passed the bill and that the Governor had said that he would sign it into law.  So I was a few days early with the news.  :-[  Still I don't think it is a good idea, especially with all of the nervous California residents that have moved into that state lately. They just might go out and buy semi-automatic hand guns for defense against the resident Rebels.

The trouble that we have in the San Francisco Bay Area is that when the bullets go flying around here, the people that usually get shot are innocent bystanders. Apparently the criminals doing the shooting have never had any training on how to do anything except pulling a trigger, other than playing shoot'em up video games and watching NCIS LA on TV.  :o  However, they do know which direction that the bullets come out of and rarely manage to shoot themselves. Too bad.  ::)

About 25 years ago my daughter worked for a transportation engineering company as both an office manager and an intersection traffic counter in Seattle. At one time they were specializing in analyzing municipal bus routes to determine which ones could be deleted or rerouted for better efficiency. The company would take her along to their dog and pony show as attractive window dressing. She would go all over the U.S. but the one experience that stuck in her mind was a visit to Houston's municipal building. To get to the office that they were visiting in the multi-story building she said that they walked into the ground floor where there was just a receptionist located behind heavy bulletproof glass. After talking to the receptionist through a speaker they were allowed to access the bulletproof elevator and were whisked to the floor of the bus transportation department that they were scheduled to visit. My daughter commented at the time that the city government really knew their visitors.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 04:12:39 pm
Apparently the "just in" news report that I heard was from the near future. Later last night I heard another report that said that the Texas state legislature had passed the bill and that the Governor had said that he would sign it into law.  So I was a few days early with the news.  :-[  Still I don't think it is a good idea, especially with all of the nervous California residents that have moved into that state lately. They just might go out and buy semi-automatic hand guns for defense against the resident Rebels.

The trouble that we have in the San Francisco Bay Area is that when the bullets go flying around here, the people that usually get shot are innocent bystanders. Apparently the criminals doing the shooting have never had any training on how to do anything except pulling a trigger, other than playing shoot'em up video games and watching NCIS LA on TV.  :o  However, they do know which direction that the bullets come out of and rarely manage to shoot themselves. Too bad.  ::)

About 25 years ago my daughter worked for a transportation engineering company as both an office manager and an intersection traffic counter in Seattle. At one time they were specializing in analyzing municipal bus routes to determine which ones could be deleted or rerouted for better efficiency. The company would take her along to their dog and pony show as attractive window dressing. She would go all over the U.S. but the one experience that stuck in her mind was a visit to Houston's municipal building. To get to the office that they were visiting in the multi-story building she said that they walked into the ground floor where there was just a receptionist located behind heavy bulletproof glass. After talking to the receptionist through a speaker they were allowed to access the bulletproof elevator and were whisked to the floor of the bus transportation department that they were scheduled to visit. My daughter commented at the time that the city government really knew their visitors.  ;)
While Houston might be different, the major cities tend to be similar all over, and one of the things that they have in common is gun control ordinances and street gangs. The majority of crimes with guns occur in "gun free zones" like cities, schools, etc.

It makes things much safer for the criminals when their victims are unarmed. And they know it.

PS - It's not the "rebels" that you need to be concerned about.
Stay out of cities, no matter what state, and you'll be at very low risk.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 04:35:40 pm by ace.cafe »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 05:09:02 pm
[...Snip!]

PS - It's not the "rebels" that you need to be concerned about.
Stay out of cities, no matter what state, and you'll be at very low risk.

Actually, it's not just in your big megalopolises that you gotta keep your wits about you. A lot of little towns you might have to Google can be super-dicey. For example, I'd need a few minutes to even find little Rockford, Illinois on a map, but it's right up there with the post-apocalyptic free fire zone that is Detroit as being a thoroughly appropriate venue for sporting one of those bulletproof biker vests described in another recent thread. See: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/#

Picturesque Newburgh, New York overlooking the Hudson looks like where FDR and Eleanor might put in the yacht for afternoon tea and crumpets, yet statistically speaking you're likelier to get your ass capped there than in the burned out South Bronx.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:28:03 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 05:23:04 pm
Little towns may have another issues. You may find some "Reichsführers" there as well as self appointed sherrifs. And than you may quickly find yourself in a situation that resembles the movie Rambo part 1. Even better is if that village is at silent war with a city next to it.

In times of the lockdowns all these conflicts surface pretty obviously.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:26:04 pm by derottone »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 05:39:55 pm
Actually, it's not just in your big megalopolises that you gotta keep your wits about you. A lot of little towns you might have to Google can be super-dicey. For example, I'd need a few minutes to even find little Rockford, Illinois on a map, but it's right up there with the post-apocalyptic free fire zone that is Detroit as being a thoroughly appropriate venue for sporting one of those bulletproof biker vests described in another recent thread. See: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/#

Picturesque Newburgh, New York overlooking the Hudson looks like where FDR and Eleanor might put in the yacht for afternoon tea and crumpets, yet statistically speaking you're likelier to get your ass capped there than in the burned out South Bronx.
Well, I have lived in Rockford and  Detroit. I have been in the Bronx plenty of times because I grew up near there.

I can assure you that Rockford is nothing like as dangerous as those other two, statistics notwithstanding.

The last time I was at the Grand Concourse in the Bronx, it was like a war zone with overturned cars burning in the middle of various streets, buildings boarded up, and no fire/emergency vehicles showing up. Very post apocalyptic. It even made ME nervous. I would not go back to NYC again. I also lived in Chicago and DC, and I wouldn't go back there either.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:42:16 pm by ace.cafe »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 07:51:12 pm
@ #12: Germany sounds pretty dangerous! Too bad about your "that village is at silent war with a city next to it" situations... :o  Maybe time to move to Texas or Argentina?