Author Topic: Distinguished Gentleman's Ride 2021 Roll call  (Read 10469 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 12:59:03 pm
May be we don't like them or some of the company, have you thought that. Well unfortunately you are the first people to know and the only reason for that was you forced my hand into a position of retaliation.

Yeah nah, but this thread was started as a roll call for people who are interested in the event. It's not intended as a discussion about whether you like or dislike group rides. You're free to go start another thread for misery guts who hate everything, and leave us who just want a bit of fun out of life to do our thing. Good on you, bringing another thread down. You must be proud of yourself.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:15:59 pm by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 01:31:35 pm
No not really you can talk about anything on these comments pages l won't be dictated to. One might ask why the topic in the main is about other topics that have no bearing. Misery guts indeed so not being a sheeple is misery guts, sure, sure. Ho and sorry for not being a king l won't get the privilege to display my wealth on the day.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:54:16 pm by Karl Fenn »

jackdaniel

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 03:36:21 pm
No not really you can talk about anything on these comments pages l won't be dictated to. One might ask why the topic in the main is about other topics that have no bearing. Misery guts indeed so not being a sheeple is misery guts, sure, sure. Ho and sorry for not being a king l won't get the privilege to display my wealth on the day.

Karl, you are 100% correct that folks can comment on anything in any thread.  It's a bummer that (any) forum discussions so often turn into this.  I was a very, very active member on a Corvair forum for years.  I learned tons and tried to help anytime I could, but this same thing happened there.  Things get really off topic and turn into a pissing match.  Yet another reason I lurked here for a year before actually joining.

Like Gizzo said, I started this for a GDR roll call.  It is my first time trying a group ride, others might not know about the fundraiser and be interested, plus I might actually meet a forum member in Portland! 

I don't want to step on toes, but can we please keep this on topic?  Lots of people like group rides, especially if it is for a good cause  :)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 03:43:40 pm
I used to group ride all the time when l was young, in fact many of the bikes were so unreliable we had little choice, however as some people get older they become more independent and tastes change. Of course in a true democracy we are free to disagree.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:46:26 pm by Karl Fenn »

AtomicMagpye

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 05:09:04 pm
Im doing the DGR this year - Surrey Hills -

Hampshire UK.

"So it goes"

jackdaniel

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: April 20, 2021, 06:21:28 pm
Im doing the DGR this year - Surrey Hills -

Nice ride you've got there!

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 06:45:32 pm
All Seattle DGR rides are solo rides, which is a bummer. I'd never heard of it before, but it sounds like a great event, and for a very worthy cause.
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 07:01:06 pm
So how does a solo ride work, if I'm on my own in SE Idaho. I can't see traveling 300 miles to do a solo ride. Can I do my own thing here? I'm happy to wear a tie and donate a few $, but how would I do it? I don't know other riders so wouldn't feel comfortable organizing anything.

jackdaniel

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 08:06:17 pm
All Seattle DGR rides are solo rides, which is a bummer. I'd never heard of it before, but it sounds like a great event, and for a very worthy cause.

Looks like every ride in WA is a solo.  Must be a mandate by Inslee.  Too bad the state can't get their crap together enough to allow a group ride....outdoors.  ???

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 08:18:05 pm
Looks like every ride in WA is a solo.  Must be a mandate by Inslee.  Too bad the state can't get their crap together enough to allow a group ride....outdoors.  ???

for sure. outdoors. with most people wearing full face helmets.

I've never done a group ride...well, no more than five anyway. I would definitely be down to joining the ride itself. But, yeah, Inslee. Jack-knob.
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

jackdaniel

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: April 20, 2021, 08:30:37 pm
for sure. outdoors. with most people wearing full face helmets.

I've never done a group ride...well, no more than five anyway. I would definitely be down to joining the ride itself. But, yeah, Inslee. Jack-knob.

Right?  I wouldn't be surprised it some folks got on social media and mentioned the DGR solo ride on May 23rd and no matter what happens DO NOT show up to "X" location at "Y" time.......wink-wink

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 07:07:41 pm
I did it last year but this year is in more upheaval than last for me. Still considering it, more for the participation than the fund raising.

Also, why is this in the 650 section? You'll probably get a bigger audience in the Campfire section.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #42 on: April 21, 2021, 08:43:17 pm
I did it last year but this year is in more upheaval than last for me. Still considering it, more for the participation than the fund raising.

Also, why is this in the 650 section? You'll probably get a bigger audience in the Campfire section.

As you've suggested, I've punted this thread towards the Campfire. I had thought perhaps the "Trips & Ride Reports" section might do, but it's gone a little off the rails for that now.

I did look into the event a bit. It seems a worthy enough excuse to throw on some tweed and ride one's Triumph, which has been a sponsor for the past 8 years. But then, as Thoreau advised, “Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." I also cannot quite get my head around the notion of the group initiative of each setting off on some solo ride, given the whole Covid-19 restrictions thing still in place this year. Not a big fan of "group rides" anyhow, but the seemingly oxymoronic "solo group ride" just baffles me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:47:19 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

jackdaniel

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: April 21, 2021, 09:06:07 pm
As you've suggested, I've punted this thread towards the Campfire. I had thought perhaps the "Trips & Ride Reports" section might do, but it's gone a little off the rails for that now.

I did look into the event a bit. It seems a worthy enough excuse to throw on some tweed and ride one's Triumph, which has been a sponsor for the past 8 years. But then, as Thoreau advised, “Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." I also cannot quite get my head around the notion of the group initiative of each setting off on some solo ride, given the whole Covid-19 restrictions thing still in place this year. Not a big fan of "group rides" anyhow, but the seemingly oxymoronic "solo group ride" just baffles me.

Thanks for moving it.  This is the section I always visit and honestly did not think of any others.....freekin newbie.

The "new clothes" for me was a vest from Goodwill  ::).  I think the solo ride basically just turns into a fundraiser.  Would probably feel kinda silly riding around all by myself dressed up like this.

downwardvd

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: April 21, 2021, 10:53:41 pm
It's up to the City's Ride host if they want to hold a COVID safe ride.....I'm hosting the Scranton Ride and it is an actual ride !