Author Topic: C5 Classic...Normal Engine Noise?  (Read 11757 times)

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #45 on: May 28, 2021, 05:40:48 pm
Say what.?
Whats up with the cylinder head?

No idea, just the message I got from the dealer. I'll speak to them when I get chance.

It's not me that's throwing parts at it, it's a warranty job.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: May 28, 2021, 07:29:35 pm
Yes, I meant the dealer throwing parts at in the hope that one of them solves your problem.
Sorry your having such a tough time with your bike though. 🤞
Off route, recalculate?

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #47 on: May 28, 2021, 07:41:36 pm
Me too, hope this sorts it out for good.

On the positive side, was told that my new exhaust is in, after the warranty claim for corrosion was accepted.  :)

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #48 on: June 04, 2021, 06:29:30 pm
So, the information I have now is worn valve guide/s.
This is on top of the lifter issue.

No UK stock of black cylinder heads, so wait goes on.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: June 04, 2021, 07:34:55 pm
Fit new guides?
Can't see how worn valve guides would make the noise you have described.?
Off route, recalculate?

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #50 on: June 05, 2021, 08:02:24 am
The importers have recommended a new head.
Not really much I can do, unless I want to pay for the repair myself.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: June 05, 2021, 12:52:36 pm
Sad that although quality seemed to improve greatly when RE opened it's new factory it still seems very hit and miss...
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #52 on: June 06, 2021, 07:53:32 pm
honestly, they should give you a new engine through and through...seems you really won the "lottery" with yours, between that and the tank. Yes quality is hit and miss, probably the last chance to get that randomness before electric kills them all, part of the package. Id say, fix it, keep it and enjoy.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: June 14, 2021, 02:40:33 pm
I see they haven't got any better....It seems to me that the dealer is incompetent. I would be very surprised if valve guide wear is the cause of the top end rattle. One (of very few) areas where the UCE improves on n old British singles is that the oil feed to the top end is pumped up there directly from the oil pump feed, rather than being a hit and miss dribble from the return to the oil tank. Consequently the oil supply is/should be massively improve, enough to warrant an oil seal on each valve stem to keep the oil from dribbling down the stem and burning. On old British singles valve guide wear was not a particularly big issue, there being a degree of clearance between the valve and guide. top ends were not particularly  noisy. (NB Triumph twins were a different matter as the geometry was wrong, so the rocker arm pushed the valve stem sideways as it operated, accelerating guide wear and creating a noisy top end). The UCE valve guides are unlikely to wear before the rocker shaft holders, a well-known problem with the iron barrel models and not unknown on the UCE models.
Although the oil feed to the top end is from the feed side of the pump it does rely heavily on the oil seal between the outer and inner t/s covers and on the relatively small oily that gets feed through the barrel and head gasket through to the oil galleries in the head feeding each rocker arm. These have been known to partially block; either that or the o ring oil seal is leaking because it was badly seated. In my opinion it is a stupid design. I can think of no other manufacturer that has the main oil feed rely on a joint between crankcase sections.
If the dealer has indeed replaced the lifters (Why? There's not much to go wrong with them apart from being blocked) he will have had to have spit the cases as there is a slew on the inside preventing their being removed from the crankcase. Could he have mucked up this job in reassembling the engine, causing a partial blockage or reduced flow to the top end and ruining the cylinder head? Valve guide renewal is hardly a big task - it was almost a maintenance thing back when we did top end inspections on our old Brit singles.
BTW to me the UCE is more akin to a sixties unit construction single like a BSA B50 than it is to say a pre-unit B33. It has little in common with the earlier RE iron barrel and was introduced in 2008 as has been said. Wikipedia is talking out of an orifice other than its mouth..
Glad I sold mine anyway. Good luck.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Crispyduck

• Scooter
Reply #54 on: June 14, 2021, 03:04:02 pm
I had similar issues. A brand new bike but i found the inlet valve wasn't seated properly and was blowing back into the carb, the ignition timing was too advanced and the valve guides need to be replaced after only 10,000 miles. All of these items almost certainly cam from poor QC at the factory.
Bullet 612cc (UCE carb version)
Triumph Tiger 750cc (TR7)

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 10:25:59 am
Here's the latest on this long running saga:

The new head arrived in the UK on 9th July, then took almost 4 weeks to get from Preston to Aberdeen.
The plan is for the dealer to fit it in Saturday, so I *might* get my bike back next week.

Let's see, shall we?  :-\

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #56 on: August 12, 2021, 11:10:35 am
Nope.

New head fitted. Noise gone with bike on bench. Yay!

Test ride. Noise come back. Boo. :-\

Awaiting further developments between importer/dealer.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #57 on: September 17, 2021, 04:10:56 pm
Latest update:

MotoGB have asked the dealer to check the auto-decompressor, just waiting for correct rotor puller which dealer doesn't have.

This was after dealer submitted a warranty claim for complete engine.

Checked the replacement exhaust system (for corrosion) that had arrived at the dealers to find it was chrome!  ;D

Last Chance now.....have lined up a suitable replacement Bullet.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: September 17, 2021, 08:17:26 pm
They can borrow my rotor puller.?
Its a basic tool that they would need for servicing the RE brand of bikes.
Like when the check the cam backlash at the first service.?
You sure your at a RE dealer?
Off route, recalculate?

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: September 27, 2021, 03:08:23 pm
Problem with the unc is the hydraulic lifters they can wear very quickly that's where the noise comes from these engines are not the best design, if you want a quite engine probably better to go for a new 350 classic with overhead cam, at least that way you will bypass the tappet and hydraulic lifter noises these engines only sound good when brand new but require lifters changed quite frequently as they wear out quick.